Google

Average Difficulty
65 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Google in March 2013.

Interview Details – Their corporate recruiter contacted me. He was very professional and guided me through each step of the process, including sending me an email with links to materials I could use for interview prep. The first step is a technical phone screen. If you pass that step, they bring you in for in house interviews.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question - What was your most challenging debugging session?   View Answer
  • Suggest a data structure and algorithm to keep track of non-overlapping appointments.   View Answer

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – It is a new grad position. The HR email me for some information about time available. And then set a technical interview for me. All the problems is very routine, which can be found in the interview books. Input linked list stands for a several digits number, plus it by 1. How to maintain a large file which need to be update all the time.

Interview Question – I didn't do well on the second problem. The time limit is very strict.   View Answers (3)

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – There were 2 phone interviews and both of them were about technical questions.
1. compute the height of a given binary tree

2. differece between struct and class; const usage

3. given a sequence of strings, like A, B, C, D, A, in which A = "abcde", B = "hello world",
   C = "NBA", D = "CNN", A = "abcde" to remove duplicates of strings. The output is like A, B, C, D.

4. given two integer arrays, where both of them are increasing order, to compute the intersection of
   them, e.g., input: A = {1,2,3,4} and B = {2,3,4,5} and output: (2,3,4)

Interview Question – given a sequence of strings, like A, B, C, D, A, in which A = "abcde", B = "hello world",
  View Answers (4)

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – I had applied online and also had a reference from one of my seniors who work in Google.
I got a call for a phone interview in two weeks.

The first two interviews will be phone interviews. Both interviews include a programming test, some technical questions about a programming language and a few personal interest questions. The programming tests are done through Google docs. The interviewer can see every line of code you write and discuss about it if needed.

Interview Question – If given a chance, what would you change in the language of C++?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – - Recruiter Phone screen
- Technical Phone screen
- On site

Interview Question – Matrix sorted in increase order by row and column; find a given number x if it appears in the matrix   View Answers (3)

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2012.

Interview Details – Intern requires 2 tech interviews and then if passed enters host matching.

Interview Question – System design which requires your knowledge in Google techs, such as web crawling, mapreduce, etc.   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Was called because they found my resume in a conference database. After 10 minute talk, they set up an interview right away. The interviewer and recruiter were very nice and polite. Check out Programming Interviews Exposed (book) to help review. I wish I had known about it earlier. Know your data structures very well, their worst and best case times. Do a lot of practice implementing solutions to technical problems using your data structures. Check out the Programming Pearls book for additional programming problems.

Interview Question – Implement a cache system.   View Answers (2)

Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2011.

Interview Details – Phone Screen followed by 5 rounds of onsite technical interview questions.
each interviewer will ask to solve a problem

Interview Question – select a random number between 1 & 7   View Answers (5)

Mountain View, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2012.

Interview Details – My interviews with google started with two phone interviews, the both of which were comprised of three questions of increasing difficulty. They both had a simple, general knowledge question, a theory question (like how to avoid a deadlock), and then a larger coding problem.

When I went on site I had four more interviews, each of which featured complex algorithmic problems. I highly recommend focussing your review on algorithm and data structure theory for your own google interview. The problems are challenging but fun, and the interviewers will happily clarify any ambiguity.

Despite what I believe was a strong set of interviews, I did not receive an offer, although they did encourage me to re-apply in a year.

Interview Question – What is/how to a avoid a deadlock (thorough understanding required)   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in December 2011.

Interview Details – Find the combination of strings.
Discuss process and threads.
Discuss projects.