Google

Getting the Interview

39 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – Got the interview by employee inferral, waited about 1 week. Two telephone 45-minitute interviews same day. I wasn't well prepared and didn't get the offer.

Interview Question – Given 2 strings, one is to be sorted, the other is the order. For example, first one is "hello", the second one is "loade", then the sorting result is "lloeh".   View Answers (2)

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – one phone interview, then 4 onsite interviews

Interview Question – Many sticks with length, every time combine two, the cost is the sum of two sticks' length. Finally, it will become a stick, what's the minimum cost?   View Answers (3)

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Phone interview. Two algorithm problems, one is given 4 digits array, like 0,0,0,0, plus 1 into this array and print. Ex. 8,8,8,8 to 8,8,8,9.

Interview Question – consider one situation, 9,9,9,9 to 1,0,0,0,0.   View Answers (2)

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews. Does a given file name match a single-star pattern?
index.html matches *.html
foo.txt does not match *.html

matches(“index.html”, “*html”) returns true
matches(“foo.txt”, “*html”) returns false
matches(“cat”, “c*t”) returns true

Interview Question – Can abstract class have a constructor   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Applied on the University Careers Portal.
Got a call for an interview on Campus. They mentioned that I'll have two interviews back to back. 45 minutes each.

Interview 1:

Question 1: The interviewer was really kind. The asked me to write a function to find all the Ramanujan numbers. He helped me when I got stuck at any point and was giving me polite hints.

Question 2: He asked me to implement a queue using 2 stacks.

Interview 2:

Question 1: He has a question on the laptop. I have to code it and answer the questions that followed.

Interview Question – The question in the 2nd interview.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – On campus Interview. Two back to back 45 min technical interviews

Interview Question – 1. A rotated sorted array and find the begin of the array(smallest).
2. given a pattern array and a search array. if the pattern appears in the search array in order than return true
3. given infinitely numbers, for every number compute the average of the former k numbers.
  Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – An alum from my school sent in my resume as an internal referral. A recruiter contacted me for additional information like a transcript. I then got invited for a phone screening. After that, they decided to bring me onsite. I met with 4 engineers who asked me mostly coding questions, and also another engineer over lunch who does not write reviews.

I had a pretty crazy deadline with another company and the recruiter worked very hard to accommodate that. They managed to schedule me for an onsite within a few days and got the interview results to me in 2 days.

Interview Question – Questions are mostly standard programming problems that you see in interviews   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and Google responded very quickly (within a couple of days, I think). I talked to a recruiter about the application process in a 15-30 minute phone call, and I was really impressed with the recruiter and how knowledgeable and likeable she was.

My first phone interview with an engineer was pretty bad. I could barely understand the accent of the person on the phone, and I didn't have headphones in, just had the phone on speaker, so it was really really hard to first understand what the interviewer was asking. I was asked what a virtual function was, how the java compiler does a virtual function, what projects I had coded in Java (I marked this as my primary language), and then the tough question as follows:

If you have machine A, machine B, and a USB Key, and an arbitrary Binary Tree in machine A, how would you copy it to machine B? (The key is to represent the tree correctly in memory)

I thanked the recruiter while still mentioning that I couldn't hear my interviewer, and they scheduled me for a second phone interview.

My second one went much better. My main question was to take a string, say "Hello World" and a number, for example: 13, and add spaces to the spaces already present in the string until the string becomes the length described by the given number.

So "Hello World" becomes "Hello World" here. The spaces need to be balanced so if the string is for example "a b c" and the number is 7, the output would be "a b c". I was then asked about linked lists and arrays, what they were and to compare them.

Interview Question – How does the Java compiler handle a virtual function? -- I have not taken compilers and could not answer this question.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Submit my resume online.

In the first phone interview, the google staff asked me about my projects and a programing problem about picking up a sample of 1000 keywords from huge amount of search requests. Of course, it is impossible to save all the requests. The solution can be found on the Cracking Coding Interview. But then he asked me to explain why that works. I failed. Then I was asked to propose a way to check if the algorithm works.

15 min laters, I got my second phone interview. Problems include Augmented Tree (from the book Introduction to Algorithms), a question using greedy algorithm. I did not finish the second problem, but proposed the right algorithm. And it took me a long time to fix the bugs in my programs.

Recruiters are very nice and guide me to debug. I passed the interview and got to team match, but no team leader contacted me. Maybe I do not have my own unique skills or project experience.

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – First contact by recruiter, who is very friendly, make an appointment for a 45 minutes phone technical interview.

Interview Question – How to rotate an array by a particular amount, require best time and space complexity.   View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Software Development Engineer interview questions and advice. All 39 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.