Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

3.7

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

It started off with a recruiter getting the basic background information and stressing upon what will be asked in the interview.He then scheduled a technical interview.The technical interview started off with a formal chat and then a question based on data structures implementation.I answered with brute force approach initially and then went on to other implementations.The engineer was quite helpful and helping me when am stuck.

Interview Questions
  • Implementation a max value in an arrray (specific conditions mentioned).A BST implementation.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in March 2015.

This a phone interview. Firstly, I was told to briefly talking about my working experience before my master degree and my course project, then he ask some fundamental questions about binary search tree and hash table, and compare their usage in different conditions. Then he ask two coding problems.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to determain if a string is Palindrome?   View Answer
    • Write a class to calculate the average number of current three number from the incoming numbers.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

I were scheduled three interviews back to back, each takes 45 mins. The interviewer were nice and inspiring. They gave advice on my code. Firstly I was asked to write code for a simple solution. After I finished, the interviewer followed up, including asked me what the corner cases are and how can I improve my solution. They are highly technical and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • I will respect the NDA, all the questions are about data structures and basic algorithms.   Answer Question

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

A recruiter from Google contacted me. The initial phone screen was to see a general fit. The second round was technical. The third round would have been a full day on campus.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect such a simple problem and I cant believe I gave a very wrong answer which was not obvious at first.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

I applied online, and got a chance to be interviewed at the local office. There were two rounds, each with two questions. First round, got the questions quite smoothly solved but did not finish the code in 45min. Second round, the interviewer got problem with the hash function I was proposing and did not lead to the coding stage.

Interview Questions
    • Binary search a bitonic sequence
      Print login logout logs in order of time;
      Find shortest word containing the characters on a vehicle tag;

Answer Question

1 HR recruiter
    1 Managment

salary

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

A recruiter from Google's college recruiting team contacted me after my friend referred me. The process was very fast. I had a phone interview with an engineer from Google's NYC office two weeks later. It was a standard 45-minute technical interview. The interviewer started the interview with a coding problem directly. BTW, we used Google docs as the white board. I finished the first coding problem with two solutions and he verified both of them. But we didn't leave much time for the second problem, I wrote down some code and the time was up. One week later, I got the onsite invitation. The onsite interview included four sessions. All of them were technical interviews. Almost two weeks after the onsite interviews, I got a call from my recruiter, she gave a bad news :(

Interview Questions
    • Most of questions are not simple, because you need to think thoroughly.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Phone interview. Two algorithm problems, one is given 4 digits array, like 0,0,0,0, plus 1 into this array and print. Ex. 8,8,8,8 to 8,8,8,9.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Two phone interviews. Does a given file name match a single-star pattern?
    index.html matches *.html
    foo.txt does not match *.html

matches(“index.html”, “*html”) returns true
    matches(“foo.txt”, “*html”) returns false
    matches(“cat”, “c*t”) returns true

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google.

Applied on the University Careers Portal.
    Got a call for an interview on Campus. They mentioned that I'll have two interviews back to back. 45 minutes each.

Interview 1:

Question 1: The interviewer was really kind. The asked me to write a function to find all the Ramanujan numbers. He helped me when I got stuck at any point and was giving me polite hints.

Question 2: He asked me to implement a queue using 2 stacks.

Interview 2:

Question 1: He has a question on the laptop. I have to code it and answer the questions that followed.