Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

3.6

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
Tow questions:
1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
    Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Interview

It started off with a recruiter getting the basic background information and stressing upon what will be asked in the interview.He then scheduled a technical interview.The technical interview started off with a formal chat and then a question based on data structures implementation.I answered with brute force approach initially and then went on to other implementations.The engineer was quite helpful and helping me when am stuck.

Interview Questions

• Implementation a max value in an arrray (specific conditions mentioned).A BST implementation.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in March 2015.

Interview

This a phone interview. Firstly, I was told to briefly talking about my working experience before my master degree and my course project, then he ask some fundamental questions about binary search tree and hash table, and compare their usage in different conditions. Then he ask two coding problems.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to determain if a string is Palindrome?   1 Answer
    • Write a class to calculate the average number of current three number from the incoming numbers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First there was a technical phone interview, with a fairly straightforward programming problem using Google Docs to write on. Then I heard back to schedule the onsite portion. Flights and hotel are paid for, and they're rather flexible to work with your schedule.

The onsite interview was 4 technical questions with lunch after the first two. All the questions are fairly difficult, they skip right past the easy ones and only talk briefly about your resume and experience. Definitely know big O notation and be able to calculate the time complexity for any code you write. A lot of problems involved graphs or matrices, but involved other data structures as well. They give you a full list of what you should know beforehand, and much of it will be covered.

Interview Questions

• What is the time complexity of your implementation? What is the space complexity? Can it be done faster? Can it be done with less space? Write a new implementation doing both.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

I were scheduled three interviews back to back, each takes 45 mins. The interviewer were nice and inspiring. They gave advice on my code. Firstly I was asked to write code for a simple solution. After I finished, the interviewer followed up, including asked me what the corner cases are and how can I improve my solution. They are highly technical and helpful.

Interview Questions

• I will respect the NDA, all the questions are about data structures and basic algorithms.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Interview

A recruiter from Google contacted me. The initial phone screen was to see a general fit. The second round was technical. The third round would have been a full day on campus.

Interview Questions

• I did not expect such a simple problem and I cant believe I gave a very wrong answer which was not obvious at first.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Google (Atlanta, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online, and got a chance to be interviewed at the local office. There were two rounds, each with two questions. First round, got the questions quite smoothly solved but did not finish the code in 45min. Second round, the interviewer got problem with the hash function I was proposing and did not lead to the coding stage.

Interview Questions

• Binary search a bitonic sequence
      Print login logout logs in order of time;
      Find shortest word containing the characters on a vehicle tag;

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

1 Phone call screening interview to assist initial capabilities
    1 Phone call screening interview to assist initial capabilitirs
    1 Phone call screening interview to assist initial capabilitirs
    2 Technical Interviews
    1 HR recruiter
    1 Managment

Interview Questions

• WHAT"S Kernal SOM algorith   1 Answer

salary

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Interview

A recruiter from Google's college recruiting team contacted me after my friend referred me. The process was very fast. I had a phone interview with an engineer from Google's NYC office two weeks later. It was a standard 45-minute technical interview. The interviewer started the interview with a coding problem directly. BTW, we used Google docs as the white board. I finished the first coding problem with two solutions and he verified both of them. But we didn't leave much time for the second problem, I wrote down some code and the time was up. One week later, I got the onsite invitation. The onsite interview included four sessions. All of them were technical interviews. Almost two weeks after the onsite interviews, I got a call from my recruiter, she gave a bad news :(

Interview Questions

• Most of questions are not simple, because you need to think thoroughly.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview. Two algorithm problems, one is given 4 digits array, like 0,0,0,0, plus 1 into this array and print. Ex. 8,8,8,8 to 8,8,8,9.

Interview Questions

• consider one situation, 9,9,9,9 to 1,0,0,0,0.   3 Answers