Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

3.7

44 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in April 2012.

I was first contacted via LinkedIn and then a follow up phone call, was called by the recruiter twice and we talk about my personal interest in those two calls.
A third call was scheduled to test my software engineering skills.
After a successful phone interviews I was contacted for an onsite interview.
The paid for everything, plane tickets, car rental, hotel and food.
The onsite was difficult and pretty tiring, it was about 6 different interviews from 8 am to 2pm stopping for lunch only.

Interview Questions
  • Most unexpected question: Does it feel right to correlate a dithering algorithm to a binary search function?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

1 Managment

salary

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2010.

Google contacted me and told me that they were looking for developers in the Bay Area and New York City. Their internal recruiter set up an interview with one of their developers.

The interview was on the phone, as well as via a google docs. The interviewer did not know how to start the interview, so I asked "do you want me to tell you about projects I am currently working?" He said that was a good idea, but I could tell he was not listening because he was eating. I'm serious. Turns out he was 23 years old, and it was obvious he did not want to be doing the interview.

He asked a couple of puzzle-type coding questions, which I kind of flubbed, but I talked through the problems and data-structures. I didn't find the cute coding "trick" he was looking for obviously and told me I should interview for a tester position -- because Google is looking for "hard-core" programmers.

While I've been writing software for over 17 years, I have never tested software -- but he didn't know that because, well, he never looked at my resume.

I thanked him for his time, and asked him what product he worked on: Google Chat.I do not think that product exists anymore.

Overall: Unprofessional, rude, condescending, slightly humiliating, irritating.

Interview Questions
    • It was unexpected that he didn't actually ask any real questions --they just want puzzle-solvers.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Google.

A recruiter from Google's college recruiting team contacted me after my friend referred me. The process was very fast. I had a phone interview with an engineer from Google's NYC office two weeks later. It was a standard 45-minute technical interview. The interviewer started the interview with a coding problem directly. BTW, we used Google docs as the white board. I finished the first coding problem with two solutions and he verified both of them. But we didn't leave much time for the second problem, I wrote down some code and the time was up. One week later, I got the onsite invitation. The onsite interview included four sessions. All of them were technical interviews. Almost two weeks after the onsite interviews, I got a call from my recruiter, she gave a bad news :(

Interview Questions
    • Most of questions are not simple, because you need to think thoroughly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

The interview process was pretty direct. I was introduced from one of my friend working at Google. From there on I was fully on my own. I had to go through drug tests, skills test, personally tests, and the awkward interview questions that i have never ever heard of.

Interview Questions
    • Personally I did use The Impossible Interview App for iOS to learn and prepare for the Google Interview Process, and most of the questions where in the app. For me it was very helpful to see the questions and from then on I prepared my answers in my head so they would be more unique and original. I would say to anyone that applies at Google just stay calm and try to answers all the questions no matter what in your original and unique way.   Answer Question
    For me it was direct considering that I had insight information what should i expect.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Got the interview by employee inferral, waited about 1 week. Two telephone 45-minitute interviews same day. I wasn't well prepared and didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given 2 strings, one is to be sorted, the other is the order. For example, first one is "hello", the second one is "loade", then the sorting result is "lloeh".   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

one phone interview, then 4 onsite interviews

Interview Questions
    • Many sticks with length, every time combine two, the cost is the sum of two sticks' length. Finally, it will become a stick, what's the minimum cost?   View Answers (3)

Software Development Engineer Interview

Phone interview. Two algorithm problems, one is given 4 digits array, like 0,0,0,0, plus 1 into this array and print. Ex. 8,8,8,8 to 8,8,8,9.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Two phone interviews. Does a given file name match a single-star pattern?
    index.html matches *.html
    foo.txt does not match *.html

matches(“index.html”, “*html”) returns true
    matches(“foo.txt”, “*html”) returns false
    matches(“cat”, “c*t”) returns true

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

On campus Interview. Two back to back 45 min technical interviews

Interview Questions
    • 1. A rotated sorted array and find the begin of the array(smallest).
      2. given a pattern array and a search array. if the pattern appears in the search array in order than return true
      3. given infinitely numbers, for every number compute the average of the former k numbers.
        Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!