Google

Average Difficulty
44 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was first contacted via LinkedIn and then a follow up phone call, was called by the recruiter twice and we talk about my personal interest in those two calls.
A third call was scheduled to test my software engineering skills.
After a successful phone interviews I was contacted for an onsite interview.
The paid for everything, plane tickets, car rental, hotel and food.
The onsite was difficult and pretty tiring, it was about 6 different interviews from 8 am to 2pm stopping for lunch only.

Interview Question – Most unexpected question: Does it feel right to correlate a dithering algorithm to a binary search function?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – 1 Phone call screening interview to assist initial capabilities
1 Phone call screening interview to assist initial capabilitirs
1 Phone call screening interview to assist initial capabilitirs
2 Technical Interviews
1 HR recruiter
1 Managment

Interview Question – WHAT"S Kernal SOM algorith   View Answer

Reason for Declining – salary

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2010.

Interview Details – Google contacted me and told me that they were looking for developers in the Bay Area and New York City. Their internal recruiter set up an interview with one of their developers.

The interview was on the phone, as well as via a google docs. The interviewer did not know how to start the interview, so I asked "do you want me to tell you about projects I am currently working?" He said that was a good idea, but I could tell he was not listening because he was eating. I'm serious. Turns out he was 23 years old, and it was obvious he did not want to be doing the interview.

He asked a couple of puzzle-type coding questions, which I kind of flubbed, but I talked through the problems and data-structures. I didn't find the cute coding "trick" he was looking for obviously and told me I should interview for a tester position -- because Google is looking for "hard-core" programmers.

While I've been writing software for over 17 years, I have never tested software -- but he didn't know that because, well, he never looked at my resume.

I thanked him for his time, and asked him what product he worked on: Google Chat.I do not think that product exists anymore.

Overall: Unprofessional, rude, condescending, slightly humiliating, irritating.

Interview Question – It was unexpected that he didn't actually ask any real questions --they just want puzzle-solvers.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – A recruiter from Google's college recruiting team contacted me after my friend referred me. The process was very fast. I had a phone interview with an engineer from Google's NYC office two weeks later. It was a standard 45-minute technical interview. The interviewer started the interview with a coding problem directly. BTW, we used Google docs as the white board. I finished the first coding problem with two solutions and he verified both of them. But we didn't leave much time for the second problem, I wrote down some code and the time was up. One week later, I got the onsite invitation. The onsite interview included four sessions. All of them were technical interviews. Almost two weeks after the onsite interviews, I got a call from my recruiter, she gave a bad news :(

Interview Question – Most of questions are not simple, because you need to think thoroughly.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty direct. I was introduced from one of my friend working at Google. From there on I was fully on my own. I had to go through drug tests, skills test, personally tests, and the awkward interview questions that i have never ever heard of.

Interview Question – Personally I did use The Impossible Interview App for iOS to learn and prepare for the Google Interview Process, and most of the questions where in the app. For me it was very helpful to see the questions and from then on I prepared my answers in my head so they would be more unique and original. I would say to anyone that applies at Google just stay calm and try to answers all the questions no matter what in your original and unique way.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – For me it was direct considering that I had insight information what should i expect.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – Got the interview by employee inferral, waited about 1 week. Two telephone 45-minitute interviews same day. I wasn't well prepared and didn't get the offer.

Interview Question – Given 2 strings, one is to be sorted, the other is the order. For example, first one is "hello", the second one is "loade", then the sorting result is "lloeh".   View Answers (2)

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – one phone interview, then 4 onsite interviews

Interview Question – Many sticks with length, every time combine two, the cost is the sum of two sticks' length. Finally, it will become a stick, what's the minimum cost?   View Answers (3)

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Phone interview. Two algorithm problems, one is given 4 digits array, like 0,0,0,0, plus 1 into this array and print. Ex. 8,8,8,8 to 8,8,8,9.

Interview Question – consider one situation, 9,9,9,9 to 1,0,0,0,0.   View Answers (3)

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews. Does a given file name match a single-star pattern?
index.html matches *.html
foo.txt does not match *.html

matches(“index.html”, “*html”) returns true
matches(“foo.txt”, “*html”) returns false
matches(“cat”, “c*t”) returns true

Interview Question – Can abstract class have a constructor   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – On campus Interview. Two back to back 45 min technical interviews

Interview Question – 1. A rotated sorted array and find the begin of the array(smallest).
2. given a pattern array and a search array. if the pattern appears in the search array in order than return true
3. given infinitely numbers, for every number compute the average of the former k numbers.
  Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!