Google

Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.7

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

I were scheduled three interviews back to back, each takes 45 mins. The interviewer were nice and inspiring. They gave advice on my code. Firstly I was asked to write code for a simple solution. After I finished, the interviewer followed up, including asked me what the corner cases are and how can I improve my solution. They are highly technical and helpful.

Interview Questions
  • I will respect the NDA, all the questions are about data structures and basic algorithms.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Development Engineer Interview

I was contacted by recruiter. I asked him to gave me two months ow time before screen. The we scheduled my 1st interview. Google doc, phone call, headset is dvantage. Five min introduction "tell me about your PhD/project". Then, a probelm was given me to solve in very vaguous way. I clarified, proposed datastructures and custom datastructures I will use to solve the problem. I was coding, speaking aloud, my interviewr was silent. "Are you happy now with your code?", no I wasnt since I did not debugged it yet. "Are you happy now with your code?", no, let me double check... "Are you happy now with your code?", "Are you happy now with your code?", yes now I am happy, "OK". Then he asked me about complexity and If i can do better than this. The code had one bug and some redundant lines but it was fair good enough for on-site.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

A recruiter from Google contacted me. The initial phone screen was to see a general fit. The second round was technical. The third round would have been a full day on campus.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect such a simple problem and I cant believe I gave a very wrong answer which was not obvious at first.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

Good:
    - Recruiter was quick (4h) to reach out to me once I applied via their website, although I did also notify my campus recruiter, so maybe that helped.
    - Recruiter was great at giving me review material, answering questions, and setting up the initial interview at my pace.

Bad:
    - The interviewer called late, yet ended at the agreed-upon time.
    - The interviewer had poor signal, yet did not worry about moving somewhere else, which meant that he had to repeat himself many times.
    - The recruiter took one month to get back to me.

Interview Questions
    • Given two sorted lists of ordered tuples, combine them into one such that overlapping ranges are merged. For example: [ (1,4) , (10, 15) , (20, 24) ] and [ (3, 5) , (16, 17), (21, 23) ] becomes [ (1,5) , (10, 15) , (16, 17), (20, 24) ]   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Google in April 2012.

I was first contacted via LinkedIn and then a follow up phone call, was called by the recruiter twice and we talk about my personal interest in those two calls.
    A third call was scheduled to test my software engineering skills.
    After a successful phone interviews I was contacted for an onsite interview.
    The paid for everything, plane tickets, car rental, hotel and food.
    The onsite was difficult and pretty tiring, it was about 6 different interviews from 8 am to 2pm stopping for lunch only.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question: Does it feel right to correlate a dithering algorithm to a binary search function?   Answer Question

1 Phone call screening interview to assist initial capabilities
    1 Managment

salary

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2010.

Google contacted me and told me that they were looking for developers in the Bay Area and New York City. Their internal recruiter set up an interview with one of their developers.

The interview was on the phone, as well as via a google docs. The interviewer did not know how to start the interview, so I asked "do you want me to tell you about projects I am currently working?" He said that was a good idea, but I could tell he was not listening because he was eating. I'm serious. Turns out he was 23 years old, and it was obvious he did not want to be doing the interview.

He asked a couple of puzzle-type coding questions, which I kind of flubbed, but I talked through the problems and data-structures. I didn't find the cute coding "trick" he was looking for obviously and told me I should interview for a tester position -- because Google is looking for "hard-core" programmers.

While I've been writing software for over 17 years, I have never tested software -- but he didn't know that because, well, he never looked at my resume.

I thanked him for his time, and asked him what product he worked on: Google Chat.I do not think that product exists anymore.

Overall: Unprofessional, rude, condescending, slightly humiliating, irritating.

Interview Questions
    • It was unexpected that he didn't actually ask any real questions --they just want puzzle-solvers.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

A recruiter from Google's college recruiting team contacted me after my friend referred me. The process was very fast. I had a phone interview with an engineer from Google's NYC office two weeks later. It was a standard 45-minute technical interview. The interviewer started the interview with a coding problem directly. BTW, we used Google docs as the white board. I finished the first coding problem with two solutions and he verified both of them. But we didn't leave much time for the second problem, I wrote down some code and the time was up. One week later, I got the onsite invitation. The onsite interview included four sessions. All of them were technical interviews. Almost two weeks after the onsite interviews, I got a call from my recruiter, she gave a bad news :(

Interview Questions
    • Most of questions are not simple, because you need to think thoroughly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in November 2013.

Got the interview by employee inferral, waited about 1 week. Two telephone 45-minitute interviews same day. I wasn't well prepared and didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given 2 strings, one is to be sorted, the other is the order. For example, first one is "hello", the second one is "loade", then the sorting result is "lloeh".   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

one phone interview, then 4 onsite interviews

Interview Questions
    • Many sticks with length, every time combine two, the cost is the sum of two sticks' length. Finally, it will become a stick, what's the minimum cost?   View Answers (5)