Google

Updated Nov 23, 2014

3.4

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer III Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

I participated in a phone screen interview. The interview was supposed to last 45 minutes. The interviewer told me about his background for the first 5 minutes and then asked me a question. We spent the rest of the time working on that question and some simple extensions of it.

Interview Questions
  • I'm not supposed to talk about the questions they ask for the interviews.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Onsite interview in 2011. Got an offer, which I declined. Recruiter warned me that if I declined, the offer could be off the table if I ever changed my mind.

In summer 2012 I got a new call from a new recruiter. I was told that we could skip a new round of interviews and could go straight to negotiating a new offer. This time I was receptive, but had enough leverage to get a bump in salary and stock units, AND specifically request that I get to work out of the SF office.

Software Engineer III Interview

Was the standard, fly you in the day before, put you in a nice hotel, and then ask you a bunch of questions throughout the day.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest question was ones about data-structure and string finding   Answer Question

Had better opportunities elsewhere

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in June 2011.

Step 1: Phone call from recruiter who determines which positions you might be eligible for
    Step 2: Technical phone interview
    Step 3: Another technical phone interview (unless you rock balls on the first one)
    Step 4: A full day of 4-5 on-site interviews
    Step 5: Wait while you step through the hurdles: feedback, hiring committee, compensation committee, etc...

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions are classified. Know this though: THERE ARE NO STUPID TRIVIA QUESTIONS ABOUT BLENDERS, EGGS, OR GOLF BALLS!!!

The questions are almost exclusively about algorithms and data structures.

Answer Question
    They made me a very generous offer and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in June 2011.

Was submitted as a req by a Googler, had a terrible phone interview (interviewers phone kept dying, so all communication was through Google Docs),

Interview Questions
    I had offers from Intel, which I used to dramatically speed up the process.

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The interview process is long, but not as long as expected from reading other reviews. I cannot judge fairly because I planned to start working about a year after the first contact (and they agreed to that, and it was great), but I think that if I rushed things, it would have taken 2.5 months.

I got a first quick phone interview of about 45', where they asked small and easy general questions, and to code up some little problems. My impression is that if you are worried about this interview, you are not going to pass anyway.

After that, they asked me to come to the office, where I had 5 interviews of about 45', a lunch, and a tour of the office. Accomodation was great, and the process painless, and I enjoyed the questions. They were easier than expected, but I think you need to be quite precise in the answers to get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What is a client/server structure? (when I expected coding questions :P)   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2011.

Mostly algorithm based questions.
    Also few design questions.
    The questions will be like, if you dont know (you will be mostly not hard these before), still you can figure these out. Only thing is, you need to think carefully, and keep your cool.

Interview Questions
    • Design an in memory word processor. Implement cut, copy, paste, formatting, recoverability etc.   View Answer
    No negotiation phase.