Google Software Engineer III Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

this is the best interview i ever have. the recruiters are also nice and hard-working (they even reply my email around mid-night...) 2 rounds of phone interview. questions are not difficult, one hashmap related, one DP. onsites includes 5 rounds: 4 coding + 1 phd research discussion. coding covers data structure design (heap), DP and system design questions (distributed/parallel processing, workload balancing)

Interview Questions

• 2 rounds of phone interview. questions are not difficult, one hashmap related, one DP. onsites includes 5 rounds: 4 coding + 1 phd research discussion. coding covers data structure design (heap), DP and system design questions (distributed/parallel processing, workload balancing)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

All day interviews which basically required knowledge of manipulating data structures and algorithms. Mainly DFS/BFS tree traversal. Most people interviewing were very nice. Talked to the department head and he was very understanding of my situation with other offers.

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2015.

Interview

I was recruited for a specific position, but told that I had to pass the general technical interview before I could be considered. The recruiter was very accessible and worked with my schedule to set up everything. There was no rush at all. The interview itself was ok - I felt like the people who were assigned to evaluate my PhD research project had no background at all while the guy assigned to my technical interview would have been much more appropriate (and he had trouble following my solution in the technical interview).

Interview Questions

• NDA applies here - Cracking the Coding Interview is a very good indication of what you will encounter, though. Focus on coding quickly and understanding seemingly simple questions inside out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

4 out of 5 of the interviewers are quite nice and friendly. However, my first interviewer is extremely arrogant. Also, my recruiter is very irresponsible. She didn't show up the day I interviewed and have never replied to any emails that I sent her.

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I participated in a phone screen interview. The interview was supposed to last 45 minutes. The interviewer told me about his background for the first 5 minutes and then asked me a question. We spent the rest of the time working on that question and some simple extensions of it.

Interview Questions

• I'm not supposed to talk about the questions they ask for the interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Onsite interview in 2011. Got an offer, which I declined. Recruiter warned me that if I declined, the offer could be off the table if I ever changed my mind. In summer 2012 I got a new call from a new recruiter. I was told that we could skip a new round of interviews and could go straight to negotiating a new offer. This time I was receptive, but had enough leverage to get a bump in salary and stock units, AND specifically request that I get to work out of the SF office.

Software Engineer III Interview

Interview

Was the standard, fly you in the day before, put you in a nice hotel, and then ask you a bunch of questions throughout the day.

Interview Questions

• The hardest question was ones about data-structure and string finding   Answer Question

Had better opportunities elsewhere

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Step 1: Phone call from recruiter who determines which positions you might be eligible for Step 2: Technical phone interview Step 3: Another technical phone interview (unless you rock balls on the first one) Step 4: A full day of 4-5 on-site interviews Step 5: Wait while you step through the hurdles: feedback, hiring committee, compensation committee, etc...

Interview Questions

• The interview questions are classified. Know this though: THERE ARE NO STUPID TRIVIA QUESTIONS ABOUT BLENDERS, EGGS, OR GOLF BALLS!!! The questions are almost exclusively about algorithms and data structures.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They made me a very generous offer and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Was submitted as a req by a Googler, had a terrible phone interview (interviewers phone kept dying, so all communication was through Google Docs),

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had offers from Intel, which I used to dramatically speed up the process.

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in February 2015.

Interview

I was recommended by a family's friend and got a phone interview. Following that interview I was summoned for on-site interviews day. That day included 4 interviews and a an office tour - where you can see the gym, eat a good lunch, and the massage room(!). All the interviews, including the phone one, were 100% about technical questions and did not include any personality questions what so ever.

Interview Questions

• given rand5() that return 1-5 uniformly produce rand7() that returns 1-7 uniformly   3 Answers
    • given list[list[String], where each list[String] represents a node in the following manner: node.id -> child0.id -> child1.id -> ... rebuild the tree.   3 Answers
    • given an int return "zeros groups" of the binary representation, that is for 5 = ...00101 you have 2 groups, where as for 7 = ...00111 you have 1 group   1 Answer
    • Return k smallest element in a tree   2 Answers