Google

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Onsite interview in 2011. Got an offer, which I declined. Recruiter warned me that if I declined, the offer could be off the table if I ever changed my mind.

In summer 2012 I got a new call from a new recruiter. I was told that we could skip a new round of interviews and could go straight to negotiating a new offer. This time I was receptive, but had enough leverage to get a bump in salary and stock units, AND specifically request that I get to work out of the SF office.

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Was the standard, fly you in the day before, put you in a nice hotel, and then ask you a bunch of questions throughout the day.

Interview Question – The hardest question was ones about data-structure and string finding   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had better opportunities elsewhere

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in June 2011.

Interview Details – Was submitted as a req by a Googler, had a terrible phone interview (interviewers phone kept dying, so all communication was through Google Docs),

Interview Question – All questions are covered by a NDA.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had offers from Intel, which I used to dramatically speed up the process.

Very Difficult Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in June 2011.

Interview Details – Step 1: Phone call from recruiter who determines which positions you might be eligible for
Step 2: Technical phone interview
Step 3: Another technical phone interview (unless you rock balls on the first one)
Step 4: A full day of 4-5 on-site interviews
Step 5: Wait while you step through the hurdles: feedback, hiring committee, compensation committee, etc...

Interview Question – The interview questions are classified. Know this though: THERE ARE NO STUPID TRIVIA QUESTIONS ABOUT BLENDERS, EGGS, OR GOLF BALLS!!!

The questions are almost exclusively about algorithms and data structures.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They made me a very generous offer and I accepted.

London, England (UK)

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – The interview process is long, but not as long as expected from reading other reviews. I cannot judge fairly because I planned to start working about a year after the first contact (and they agreed to that, and it was great), but I think that if I rushed things, it would have taken 2.5 months.

I got a first quick phone interview of about 45', where they asked small and easy general questions, and to code up some little problems. My impression is that if you are worried about this interview, you are not going to pass anyway.

After that, they asked me to come to the office, where I had 5 interviews of about 45', a lunch, and a tour of the office. Accomodation was great, and the process painless, and I enjoyed the questions. They were easier than expected, but I think you need to be quite precise in the answers to get an offer.

Interview Question – What is a client/server structure? (when I expected coding questions :P)   Answer Question

Hyderābād (India)

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2011.

Interview Details – Mostly algorithm based questions.
Also few design questions.
The questions will be like, if you dont know (you will be mostly not hard these before), still you can figure these out. Only thing is, you need to think carefully, and keep your cool.

Interview Question – Design an in memory word processor. Implement cut, copy, paste, formatting, recoverability etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!