Google Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Extremely fun and engaging experience that was totally worth it! Definitely the best interview process yet. Some people may find it difficult because the broad topics that were covered but the interviewers are really there to help you along.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me and then there were 2 phone interviews. First one ask to code a function to perform snake sort, and then write unit testing. Second one is a problem regarding one-dimensional array.

Interview Questions

• code a function to perform snake sort, and then write unit testing   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me to initiate the process. We went over some basics via email and afterwards we had a phone conversation. That led to a 45 minute phone interview with a current SET at google. There was no personality or behavioral aspects to the interview, it was all programming on a shared google document.

Interview Questions

• They asked to code a question and design test cases for it. They asked me not to share the question.   1 Answer

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

It was moderate.Not too hard. The interviewer asked me a question based on the data structures. I answered it but took a little time to answer it.Initially i went off in the wrong direction but quickly realized it and gave them the answer(correct i guess). This was the mistake i made according to the feedback given.Apparently i have to quick to the answer right. One more question was based on testing.

Interview Questions

• How to test a product and what anticipated difficulties.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter at Google for the position. He got me a phone screen after a week. The interviewer asked me a simple question, that I did solve. The questions was about processing an incoming stream of data at using a given algorithm. He followed up by asking me how I would test the algorithm. I didn't get past the phone screen because I made too many mistakes while writing the code to solve the problem. I did find the errors, but the fact that I made them in the first place was a big negative.

Interview Questions

• He asked me about my current work and the challenges involved   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Contacted by recruited and scheduled a 45 minute phone interview.
    45 minute phone interview was fairly easy if you know data structures and algorithms
    Followed by a phone interview by a recruiter who invite you out to their facilities
    4 45 minute interviews followed along with a lunch "interview" after the second interview
    Two of the interviews were in one room and the other two were across the building in another

Interview Questions

• They were fairly straight forward. Know recursion, binary search, linked lists, and test scenarios. One of the 4 questions was really hard the rest were fairly straight forward   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The process was initiated by a recruiter, who reached out to me via email. He told me that he found me through my LinkedIn profile, and was interested in having a short phone conversation. During that conversation, we chatted about my skills and experience, and he outlined a potential role (SET) to gauge my interest. Once I told him that I was interested, he set me up with a engineering phone screen, which was one hour long.

The phone screen consisted of me talking with another SET. He briefly outlined his experience, and then asked me to talk a bit about myself. This lasted 5-10 minutes, and then we moved on to a programming question. All of the code I wrote was in a Google doc.

About 2 weeks after the phone screen, I was contacted by my recruiter to let me know that they wanted to bring me on-site. They flew me out on a Sunday, and the full day of interviews were on Monday. I then flew back on Tuesday.

The onsite interviews are where they really get a feel for how well you understand data structures and algorithms, and how you think under pressure. The day consisted of 5 45-minute interviews, and a 45 minute lunch. Each interview was basically the same format as the phone screen: 5-10 minutes of getting to know one another, followed by coding questions. It's important to note that the coding questions are all done on a whiteboard, so it is really important to practice coding questions by hand. You really don't appreciate how nice autocomplete is until you're working without it.

After the onsite interviews, each of the interviewers will write feedback about you, and give you a score. This feedback is all given to a hiring committee, who (unofficially) makes the decision of whether or not to hire you. There is still the executive and compensation committees after that, but from what I have read and heard from my recruiter, the hiring committee is the tough one to pass.

Overall, I think this process was pretty smooth. I dragged it out a bit, because I hadn't used Java in years, and I had a big project going on at my current job, but expect the process to take at least 2-3 months from first contact to offer.

Interview Questions

• They requested that I don't share any interview questions, but I will say that a deep understanding of data structures (especially hash maps and heaps) is going to go a long way for you.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Interview

Attempted Initial phone screenning. The question was related to dynamic programming. The question was "find maximum forward difference between two numbers in a series of numbers. The program should print out the max difference and the index location of the two elements used"

Interview Questions

• Difficult to answer in short and first time attempt.   3 Answers

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

Interview

I had one phone round and an onsite with 5 rounds.The HR communicated very efficiently while setting up the interviews and gave quick responses to any query. The phone interview was quite easy. The onsite interview was a really good experience. The questions were not very difficult, but it truly tests one's concepts and the ability to think. It is coding intensive and focuses on data structures and algorithm. One has to be very through with the basics and know to evaluate time and space complexity. I cannot mention the questions due to the NDA.
    The best thing about the interview was that all the interviewers were very pleasant to talk with and make one feel comfortable. They bring out the best in you and help you out in thinking with hints and questions. I attended few other interviews after Google and found quite a difference. It is my best interview experience till date with respect to people interaction.

Interview Questions

• Data Structures and Test scenarios for all the code written   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Interview

Applied online, received email back. Had a phone interview. Google recruiters came to my college and if you can talk to them and then name drop in the resume it can be helpful. Also helpful if you show them your previous projects.

Interview Questions

• Very technical questions that included programming something on the spot   Answer Question