Google

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer In Test

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – One round phone interview. The HR helped me to set up the phone interview. It took around 45 min. The questions were not touch. At first, serveral questions about the java. And one coding question. Keep communication during the interview.

Interview Question – Not difficult. It is like why can not compare two strings. And how to compare one object which initialed as a string with string. The coding quesition is to find the kth in two sorted arrays.   View Answer

Software Engineer In Test

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I got one phone interview with the NYC office in the spring of 2014. The recruiter gave a detailed interview preparation guide, which unfortunately covered every position possible and not the specific position I was applying for. During the phone interview, I was asked to do code implementation on the spot using Google Docs.

Interview Question – Given a list of absolute file paths, implement a function to store all the paths in a tree, and a function to retrieve all the paths.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer In Test

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter that met me on a career fair for my university. They were interested in receiving an application from me and so I decided to apply. About a month after I sent in my resume they contacted me and said they would like to setup a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty great - the lady that was interviewing me was extremely friendly and calmed my nerves. I do terribly on phone interviews because phone conversations make me nervous (no idea why). I did pretty badly and only got to the second interview question out of 3 ( I later found out from talking to her on the onsite interview day that she had 3 questions to ask me and the first 2 were just warmups). However, she liked my personality and said I walked her through my thought process very well. A few weeks later I was told that I had been invited for a series of on site interview (5). The first interview went badly as I was very nervous, but the last 4 went very well. About 2 weeks later I was contacted one final time and notified they would not be extending me an offer. I had no time to prepare/study anything for either the phone or the onsite interviews due to a heavy course load (70 hours or so of homework a week), so I feel I did well considering. If I had time to prepare/study I feel confident I would have gotten the position. Overall the experience was very positive - they communicated very clearly at all times and everyone involved in the entire process was extremely professional and friendly.

Interview Question – All questions were fairly equal in difficulty - I managed to just finish solving them right as the interview with each person ended.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details – In October 2013, I attended a conference in Baltimore and I left my resume and contact information at the booth of Google during a career fair.

I received an email in April 2014 from an HR in which she asked me for an informal interview/conversation over the phone. Since I'm still pursuing my B.S., the interview process will consist of a technical interview over the phone and an onsite interview if I was successful during the first round. In my conversation with the HR, we just went through all my academic background and we agreed on a date for the following technical interview.

I had the technical interview on May 15, 2014 and it consisted on two programming questions using bit manipulation. I got to choose the programming language to use on that interview and I chose C since I have been working with it lately. However, I was fully aware that I was not knowledgeable enough with the programming language and although I tried to prepare as best as I could, I knew that my performance was going to be far from stellar.

I managed to give decent responses for the problems, although in my second question I did not get a correct implementation. We were trying to use a Google doc to write down the question and for me, to code the answer. However, for some reason, the Google doc was extremely slow and sometimes wouldn't update at all. I tried to code my answers over a simple text editor and then paste them to the Google doc but at the end the interviewer and I gave up and I emailed my coding answers to my HR contact instead.

A week later, I received a call from the HR with some feedback about the interview and unfortunately, I didn't make it to the second round. Overall it was a good experience and my very first technical interview. It gave me more insight into what I need to focus whenever I have opportunities like these in the future. It was a very good learning experience and both my HR contact and interviewer where very nice, professional, and detail-oriented in their attention.

Interview Question – Find the majority element of an array.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, and was contacted by a recruiter a few days after. Had one phone interview shorty after involving coding one algorithm question in a shared Google Doc. Then invited out to Mountain View for four technical interviews over the course of one day. Everyone was very professional, and despite what I had heard, very prompt. Unfortunately, they could not give me any feedback.

Interview Question – Pretty standard algorithm/data structure questions. Reading Cracking the Coding Interview helped a lot.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details – referred by friend and then got a call from HR. Schedule a phone screening. the phone interview is easy but need to be care of the corner cases. first one is given a array and a integer. x Find the biggest element in array which is less then x.

Interview Question – There is no unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – didn't get feedback yet.

Mountain View, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, contacted by HR, then got 1 phone screen interview, passed that then 4 onsite interviews. after 2 weeks entered hiring committee process but got rejected at last.

Interview Question – most of the questions are tech questions that I never saw before.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer In Test

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details – I had a phone screen and then an on-site interview, which consisted of 5 1:1 technical interviews. Google tends to avoid behavioral questions and focuses mostly on coding and past project work. Getting through the hiring committee, team alignment, and SVP approval, which is all needed to generate the actual offer, takes a while, which can be problematic if you get a competing offer in the interim.

Interview Question – I can't give away actual questions, but on some occasions, the answer lies in thinking outside the box and going beyond the pass/fail framework of most test cases in defining success. Sometimes whether the product or feature works or not cannot be boiled down to a simple binary.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – 1. HR talk about the position and ask some questions about my background.
2. Scheduled a telephone technical interview.
3. A technician from Washington D.C called to do the interview.

The technician is really nice. We talked a lot about the Google working progress and environment. And he talked about major task for SET in Google.

Interview Question – 1. determine the overlap.
2. write test cases based on 1
3. give an input stream like 1010x0x1, give all the result that transfer x into 0 or 1
  Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – As expected, one recruiter talk, one phone talk, then 5 on-site interviews.

The process with HR/recruiters is beyond terrible (as my Google Friends warned me). A lot of confusion, changing recruiters, missed calls with them. They didn't really seem to care, but once you get to the engineers everyone is very friendly, passionate and Smart!

The interviews are just as you expect it. I had 2 Software Engineer interviews and 3 Software Engineer in Test interviews. Both have coding sections, but one has testing sections as well.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Study the usual stuff, code on your work, and be confident and you can do it.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Competing offer from Facebook

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Software Engineer In Test interview questions and advice. All 30 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.