Google Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.5

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Applied online, received email back. Had a phone interview. Google recruiters came to my college and if you can talk to them and then name drop in the resume it can be helpful. Also helpful if you show them your previous projects.

Interview Questions
  • Very technical questions that included programming something on the spot   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter via email. I replied and we set up a phone call. The recruiter was pushing me towards a Software Engineer in Test role, even though that's not what I currently do - in hindsight I think that was probably a major reason why I didn't get an offer.

Throughout the recruitment experience I kept getting handed off from one recruiter to the next - I think in total there were 5 different people I had to deal with before the interview. It all seemed very disorganized.

One of the recruiters set up a phone screen with an engineer which I passed without issues - there weren't really any challenging questions.

For the onsite interview they were trying to make me travel to Mountain View but I wasn't interested in that so they eventually set up an interview in Seattle for me. The interview was a whole day, I think it was 5 or 6 technical interviews each lasting 45 minutes, and a lunch break with an employee who they claim doesn't submit any feedback. When I first arrived there in the morning the receptionist had a list of people interviewing that day but I wasn't on that list - further disorganization. She eventually worked out who was supposed to meet me.

After the interview I didn't receive any communication from Google for 2 weeks so I decided to email one of the many recruiters and ask if there was any updated. They told me the engineers were busy with peer reviews at the moment so not all feedback was in yet. Another 2.5 weeks went by and I finally got an email that the recruiter wanted to set up a phone call. He called me the next day to inform me that I hadn't passed the interview which I was quite surprised by.

Interview Questions
    • Had to sign an NDA so won't break that here. Overall there wasn't anything too challenging, I've come across more difficult questions in interviews. The more difficult ones were open ended questions about how to test a google service.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

I previously interviewed at Google and was denied an offer. I was contacted about a year later by a recruiter who believed she found a role that fit me better. We skipped the phone interview, and went straight to a 3 person on site interview. I was given an offer about two weeks later.

When they found that I had a competing offer, the recruiter starting pushing very hard for me to join. This included everything from giving me more money, having me talk to people, and even bashing the other company.

Interview Questions
    • Given a string, convert it into a palindrome with the lease number of insertions possible.   View Answer

In the end, the position just sounded pretty boring. Despite my attempts to clarify my interests, they either didn't notice or didn't care.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google.

Contacted by a recruiter via linked who scheduled a technical phone interview screening within a week. The recruiter alos provided interview prep materials and links to helpful resources.
    The interview was a typical google interview - asked to answer a question on google docs. There was some background noise during the interview, I could here people playing ping pong or something.

Advice: Schedule your interview earlier in the day.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Make use of "cracking the coding interview" book.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Google.

I got one phone interview with the NYC office in the spring of 2014. The recruiter gave a detailed interview preparation guide, which unfortunately covered every position possible and not the specific position I was applying for. During the phone interview, I was asked to do code implementation on the spot using Google Docs.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of absolute file paths, implement a function to store all the paths in a tree, and a function to retrieve all the paths.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

Applied online, and was contacted by a recruiter a few days after. Had one phone interview shorty after involving coding one algorithm question in a shared Google Doc. Then invited out to Mountain View for four technical interviews over the course of one day. Everyone was very professional, and despite what I had heard, very prompt. Unfortunately, they could not give me any feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard algorithm/data structure questions. Reading Cracking the Coding Interview helped a lot.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

I had a phone screen and then an on-site interview, which consisted of 5 1:1 technical interviews. Google tends to avoid behavioral questions and focuses mostly on coding and past project work. Getting through the hiring committee, team alignment, and SVP approval, which is all needed to generate the actual offer, takes a while, which can be problematic if you get a competing offer in the interim.

Interview Questions
    • I can't give away actual questions, but on some occasions, the answer lies in thinking outside the box and going beyond the pass/fail framework of most test cases in defining success. Sometimes whether the product or feature works or not cannot be boiled down to a simple binary.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

In October 2013, I attended a conference in Baltimore and I left my resume and contact information at the booth of Google during a career fair.

I received an email in April 2014 from an HR in which she asked me for an informal interview/conversation over the phone. Since I'm still pursuing my B.S., the interview process will consist of a technical interview over the phone and an onsite interview if I was successful during the first round. In my conversation with the HR, we just went through all my academic background and we agreed on a date for the following technical interview.

I had the technical interview on May 15, 2014 and it consisted on two programming questions using bit manipulation. I got to choose the programming language to use on that interview and I chose C since I have been working with it lately. However, I was fully aware that I was not knowledgeable enough with the programming language and although I tried to prepare as best as I could, I knew that my performance was going to be far from stellar.

I managed to give decent responses for the problems, although in my second question I did not get a correct implementation. We were trying to use a Google doc to write down the question and for me, to code the answer. However, for some reason, the Google doc was extremely slow and sometimes wouldn't update at all. I tried to code my answers over a simple text editor and then paste them to the Google doc but at the end the interviewer and I gave up and I emailed my coding answers to my HR contact instead.

A week later, I received a call from the HR with some feedback about the interview and unfortunately, I didn't make it to the second round. Overall it was a good experience and my very first technical interview. It gave me more insight into what I need to focus whenever I have opportunities like these in the future. It was a very good learning experience and both my HR contact and interviewer where very nice, professional, and detail-oriented in their attention.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

referred by friend and then got a call from HR. Schedule a phone screening. the phone interview is easy but need to be care of the corner cases. first one is given a array and a integer. x Find the biggest element in array which is less then x.

didn't get feedback yet.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2014.

1. HR talk about the position and ask some questions about my background.
    2. Scheduled a telephone technical interview.
    3. A technician from Washington D.C called to do the interview.

The technician is really nice. We talked a lot about the Google working progress and environment. And he talked about major task for SET in Google.

Interview Questions
    • 1. determine the overlap.
      2. write test cases based on 1
      3. give an input stream like 1010x0x1, give all the result that transfer x into 0 or 1
        Answer Question