Google

Average Difficulty
124 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineering Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I applied both online and at a career fair and was contacted by a recruiter about one week later. My interviews were scheduled by a recruiting coordinator for the following week; I had two back-to-back phone interviews. I signed a NDA so I can't disclose specific questions, but the interviews were almost entirely technical in nature (my two interviewers skipped behavioral questions entirely). Most of the questions dealt with the primary data structures in Java and being able to manipulate or reuse them to achieve some goal (e.g. improve efficiency, modify what the data structure does).

Interview Question – Technical questions. One question was about a topic I had not studied and could not fully reason through.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Valparaíso (Chile)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2012.

Interview Details – First, a small group of staffers interviews the candidates. Then a second committee reviews all materials about the applicants, including those they submitted on their own behalf as well as interviewer feedback.

Interview Question – But that’s not the only way analytics have shaped the process. Google used to conduct many interviews before settling on a job candidate and making an offer. But through analytics, the company has determined that after four interviews, they don’t achieve a much greater degree of confidence about whether the interviewee is a good fit for a position. As a result, they’ve capped the number of interviews that they’ll put a candidate through.

Data also have led Google to conclude that speed is of the essence when it comes to hiring recent graduates.
  Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Applied for the position through my university, got an email a week or two later asking to schedule two technical phone interviews, then had two back to back 45 minute phone interviews

Interview Question – Signed NDA but a few basic questions on data structures, a question on system design, and then two coding questions on an unexpected topic (hence why I didn't get an offer)   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – Had my resume in a database for a women's conference. Google reviewed it and contacted me for an interview at the conference. No phone screen, just two interviews on-site, back to back, each 45 minutes. Asked me questions that involved recursion.

Interview Question – Nothing too complicated.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern

I applied online - interviewed at Google in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. After resume screening, I was contacted for more details and preferences. Then scheduled two interviews. These two are the only interviews you need to give.

Interview Question – Everything was easy, but had a Google perspective. They need algos which are just faster and clearer. Expect a lot of questions from Datastructures, Graph Algos and the projects and technologies you have done or used so far.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I applied online, and the HR contacted me that he needed my information, including time slots for interview. The interview was purely technical, with just introduction about myself in the beginning. It was divided in 2 calls. Each call was 45 minutes, separated by 15 minutes break and different person. We used Google Docs for the live coding.

Interview Question – Given a string and a dictionary. Break the string into meaningful words.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and through career services. Got an on campus interview that consisted of two rounds of interviewers, for 45 minutes each. The first interviewer asked to find the length of the longest chain of consecutive integers in an unsorted set. The second interviewer asked to approximate pi, and to find a way to encode and decode a string.

Interview Question – Find the length of the longest chain of consecutive integers in an unsorted set in linear time.   View Answers (5)

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2013.

Interview Details – They were very prompt when it comes to recruiting. It took me about 3 weeks from the moment I applied to the point where I had all the interviews. My advice is to practice doing easy/medium problems of Div. 1

Interviewers were helpful in general.

Pay close attention to data structures and algorithms. You need not know anything more than what is being in the standard courses of the university with a good CS program.

Interview Question – Signed the NDA :(
Basic stuff. If you do well on Topcoder algorithms - you should be fine.
  Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Recruiter contacted me and scheduled 2 phone interviews (back-to-back). Both technical, 45 mins each. Involved coding on google docs. 4 questions. Related to arrays, BST, singly linked list, strings. I could come up with the algos for all 4 problems but did bad on writing the code on google doc. 1st guy was friendly. 2nd guy didnt talk at all, just asked me to write code and tell him once I am done.

Interview Question – signed NDA. Cannot give the exact questions. All my questions were based on edge case of data structures.   Answer Question

Intern Software Engineering Interview

Intern Software Engineering

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Talked with the campus recruiter, and submitted my application online. Got a phone interview few weeks after and wrote code in shared document with an interviewer. Was supposed to have 2 phone interviews, but the other interview did not call. First interview was confusing and hard to listen because of the interviewer's accent.

Interview Question – How would you implement the binary tree.   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!