Google Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 31, 2014

3.4

124 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Valparaíso (Chile)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valparaíso (Chile)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2012.

First, a small group of staffers interviews the candidates. Then a second committee reviews all materials about the applicants, including those they submitted on their own behalf as well as interviewer feedback.

Interview Questions
  • But that’s not the only way analytics have shaped the process. Google used to conduct many interviews before settling on a job candidate and making an offer. But through analytics, the company has determined that after four interviews, they don’t achieve a much greater degree of confidence about whether the interviewee is a good fit for a position. As a result, they’ve capped the number of interviews that they’ll put a candidate through.

Data also have led Google to conclude that speed is of the essence when it comes to hiring recent graduates.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Google.

I applied both online and at a career fair and was contacted by a recruiter about one week later. My interviews were scheduled by a recruiting coordinator for the following week; I had two back-to-back phone interviews. I signed a NDA so I can't disclose specific questions, but the interviews were almost entirely technical in nature (my two interviewers skipped behavioral questions entirely). Most of the questions dealt with the primary data structures in Java and being able to manipulate or reuse them to achieve some goal (e.g. improve efficiency, modify what the data structure does).

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions. One question was about a topic I had not studied and could not fully reason through.   Answer Question

Intern Software Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Google.

Talked with the campus recruiter, and submitted my application online. Got a phone interview few weeks after and wrote code in shared document with an interviewer. Was supposed to have 2 phone interviews, but the other interview did not call. First interview was confusing and hard to listen because of the interviewer's accent.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

I applied online, and the HR contacted me that he needed my information, including time slots for interview. The interview was purely technical, with just introduction about myself in the beginning. It was divided in 2 calls. Each call was 45 minutes, separated by 15 minutes break and different person. We used Google Docs for the live coding.

Interview Questions
    • Given a string and a dictionary. Break the string into meaningful words.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Google.

Got in touch with with Google through a campus recruiting event, talked to the recruiter and she told me to turn it in online.

A month or two later I was sent an email saying that I had gotten an interview! I was so excited. I had two phone interviews, that were supposed to be 45 minutes long each with a 15 minute break between them.

The first interviewer called me 15 minutes late so that was a little annoying. We didn't chit-chat or anything and got straight to the problem, which was a board game problem (I won't go further because I don't want to breach my NDA). When my interviewer asked me the question, my mind went blank and I had no idea how to solve it right away so I just talked my way through it. Overall I felt I didn't do too well on this question and I took almost whatever time I had left in the interview to solve this problem.

The second interviewer called about 1-2 minutes after the first interviewer hung up and he talked about what he did a little bit and then we got down to the problem solving. Again, I don't want to breach my NDA so I can't really say what my question was. I thought I solved this problem pretty well and it sounded like my interviewer was fine with my solution. We then talked about another problem and rather than having me code it, he just asked me to describe how I would solve it. After I did this, I asked him some questions about his history and what it was like to work at Google and then we ended the interview about 5 minutes early because we were more or less done.

It took Google about 3 weeks to get back to me (it was a dreaded wait) however I knew after the first interview I wasn't going to get an offer. I felt that to get an internship you needed to blow both the interviews out of the park and I felt like I barely got by the first one and blew the second one out of the park, which wasn't going to be enough.

Overall, I was really nervous because this was my first interview with a big name company and I feel like that really got to me in the first interview. Even though I didn't get an offer, it was really good practice because I ended up interviewing at Microsoft and I learned what not to do in the interview (like be nervous!). I was able to remain calm during my Microsoft interview and I ended up getting an offer there, which I don't think I would have been able to do unless I had this interview with Google.

Interview Questions
    • First interview: Board Game question

Second interview: One coding question (honestly I can't remember it for the life of me), and one technical question where I was asked how I would solve it
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

on campus interview (2 sessions) + 1 phone interview. On campus interview has 2 15-20 min sessions talking to one engineer. The senior one asked me about linked list and queue. The second one asked me (1) something solved by devide-and-conquer (2) digit dial on the phone pad, how to enumurate all numbers. I did good in the second one and badly in the first one, and that's why they want a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • enumurate all phone numbers by the digit dial on the phone keypad   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2012.

It was a google hangout interview where I coded in a googledoc in front of an engineer. It was suppose to be a phone interview, which instead became a google hangout call.

The process was standard with behavior questions, then a coding question, then questions for the interviewer. The person was nice and very understanding. They asked me to calculate the run time of my algorithm.

Interview Questions
    • Write a method that generates a random sequence of numbers of specific percentages.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2012.

Hiring process was very fluid. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. First interview consisted of standard algorithms questions and a creative prices question. I passed the first round and was set up with a second phone interview. This one was less broad than the first but the difficulty was greater. Overall a good experience. Recruiters were friendly and prompt in following up after my interviews. Overall very happy with the process.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in January 2012.

The interview consisted of two technical 45 minute phone calls, which is the same for every applying intern. The first interviewer was difficult to understand (talked softly, had an accent), but I did much better in this interview than the second. First he asked a general question about my computer science studies, then two big coding questions. I did not completely finish them but walked him through how I would finish them since I was pressed for time. The second interviewer was friendlier and easy to understand, but asked a very difficult coding question that took me the whole interview. He had to talk me through most of the problem and the code still wasn't completely done at the end. There is no specific way to prepare for these interviews, as anything relevant you learned in the past few years can be asked. I'd suggest reviewing any data structures or algorithms you have had a hard time with in the past. Also, come prepared with questions to ask the interviewer at the end.

Interview Questions
    • Write an algorithm to calculate the total number of paths possible from point (0, 0) to point (m, n) in an m by n grid. (You cannot retrace a line you already made when forming a path.)   View Answers (5)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in December 2011.

I got the interview by a friend's referral who is working at Google. It was two back to back 45 minutes interviews. The difficulty of the questions from the two interviews are similar. The interviewers are nice and they try to guide you to reach the answer for their questions.

Interview Questions
    • Code an application that creates a new thread and exposes a "ping()" method. Whenever ping() is called, the thread prints "Google rocks" once.   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!