Google Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated May 31, 2014

3.4

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

The process had two stages, interviews, followed by project assignment. The process was comfortable. All questions are framed to your personality and your CV, focus was on programming languages and algorithms. That was the trend for both. I was unsuccessful at the interview stage, I waited for a month to hear back from them after I had finished my both technical interviews. In my case the interviewers never asked any personal questions and we moved straight to coding so I found it difficult to blend in.

Interview Questions
  • How would you gather input from users (name, dob, address) and reprocate the same as output?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Applied online through their job portal and got contacted by a recruiter about 3 weeks later and was scheduled two technical phone interview. The first round went well but the 2nd one with a different interview was much more difficult. He asked me something about databases and I said I haven't learned that yet(i think it's reasonable considering I am only a freshmen at college) then he changed to another question about bit manipulation, which is also unfamiliar to me.

Interview Questions
    • Count the number of bits set in an integer. What is your favorite language and what you don't like about that language.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Intern Interview

The process had two stages, interviews, followed by project assignment. The process was comfortable. After a prelude of non-technical personality type questions they moved onto the technical bit, focus was on programming languages and algorithms. That was the trend for both. I was unsuccessful at the interview stage

Interview Questions
    • Find the average of values in an array accounting for integer overflow   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

They contacted me from school and we arranged a call, First non-technical interview, a few technical questions. Then they proceeded to the actual technical interview 2 months later.

Interview Questions
    • Can't give you the technical review questions. First non-technical phone-call, i'm asked about sorting algorithms and their complexity and OS-memory related stuff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in December 2013.

I applied for a 12 month internship in the UK around October and got a reply in November saying that they would like to schedule 2 phone interviews (I got to select some dates that I were free). The recruiter was extremely friendly and even linked me to a lot of webpages with information about what kind of questions I can expect in the interview. A lot of which included CS theory such as OOP and data structures. I was scheduled 2 45-minute interviews. Unlike what I expected, I had to complete 2 programming tasks (one in each interview) with no questions about computer science theory. Under the stress of being in an interview, and due to the expectation of CS theory questions, my mind blanked despite having 2 tasks which I could complete with ease - of course I regret being such an idiot - So long as you focus logically on what you do the interview should be a fairly easy process, although the randomness of the code can throw you off guard. The first interviewer was a bit unenthusiastic and intimidating which also threw me off a bit but the second interviewer I had was really nice and helpful in describing what we had to do properly. Due to my idiocy I did not progress to the next stage.

Interview Questions
    • A task in which I was required to print all numbers between 1 and a million - with no repeating digits - Easy enough! Just can throw you off guard a bit   View Answers (2)

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Applied for the position through my university, got an email a week or two later asking to schedule two technical phone interviews, then had two back to back 45 minute phone interviews

Interview Questions
    • Signed NDA but a few basic questions on data structures, a question on system design, and then two coding questions on an unexpected topic (hence why I didn't get an offer)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2013.

I applied online where I submitted my CV and was contacted after a day. I was working during that time, so my two phone interviews were scheduled on the same day and the recruiter was really helpful in making sure I can make the time. The phone interviews were 15 minutes apart and the first one had a lot of small questions that required no coding, but rather collaboration on how I might do things as well as questions about data structures. On one of the questions I did not entirely understand what I was asked and the interviewer explained what was expected. The second interview was a single coding exercise. I had to write a solution to a given problem and after I wrote it, I had to explain the complexity of my solution. After that I was asked to improve my algorithm so that it runs faster. The interviewer did not require the code to be compilable, but to show knowledge of the language and the solution. Off the top of my head I did not remember the exact way of doing I/O with files in Java, but that was not a problem. After the interviews I was contacted the following day and the recruiter informed me that I am continuing to the next stage where they search for a project for me. The project was found in a couple of days and I had a phone conversation with the team manager who asked me about my previous experience with some technologies and my availability for the needed dates. After that I was given my offer in another couple of days. Through all the experience the recruiter made sure I was informed of what is coming next and what I need to expect.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was to improve my solution in the second interview, which was not hard by itself, but when put on the spot it is harder to think of another way to solve it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google in December 2012.

The hiring process run smoothly, I've been through 2 technical interviews of 45 mins each. The recruiting staff was very helpful. Most of the questions were algorithmic.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I've participated in International Olympiad contests.   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!