Google Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.5

908 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2011.

The interview consisted of 2 phone interviews, each an hour in length. After getting past these, I was flown to Mountain View for a 6 hour interview that consisted of 5, 1 hour interviews with a different person and 1 hour for lunch. The phone screens were scheduled about 2 weeks apart, each was very technical. The onsite interview focused on programming problems with one of the interviewers asking me questions about my experience. All the people I met with were very nice.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2011.

The interviews included demo'ing previous work I'd done (public product), answering detailed questions about the technologies in my area of interest, and doing algorithmic coding on the whiteboard. Ultimately, I think only the algorithmic coding was significantly considered, based on the internal recruiter's feedback about all candidates (wouldn't provide info specific to me).

The problems set were atypical to coding we do in computing in general, much more aligned with what I studied as an undergraduate. Big-O analysis and scaling were prominent. I believe there is a disconnect between what they tested, and what engineers in the positions I was focused on do on a regular basis, with neither necessarily being a good measure for the other.

I found all the interviewers very friendly. It was like they wanted me to succeed, and would give ask helpful questions when I was off base. A friend (also interviewing there) and I wondered if the model is everyone gets the answer, and the measure is just how much help they provided.

Interview Questions
    • (they asked that we keep the interview questions confidential, and I will respect that)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

HR interview --> two phone interviews

Interview Questions
    • One of the question was encoding/decoding of BST problem which I haven't seen any other web interview web sites. I don't even remember other questions since I was extremely stressed out in the phone interviews since one of the two interviewers was quite aggressive. But the other interviewer was much better. They already know all the recent interview questions posted on the web sites, and do not ask such questions.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Google in April 2011.

Was contacted by a recruiter, which asked basic technical screening questions. A couple of phone interviews with on-site engineers, and then a whole day on-site for some intense interviews.

Overall, a very fun and challenging experience. Wouldn't mind doing it again. Staff was very professional.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Zürich (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2011.

Had 2 interview:
    - First with recruiter very friendly and was asking mainly about my background
    - Second was a technical one with a developer working at Dublin

Basic algorithm complexity analysis, and some basic algorithm design questions.

Was mainly array sorting in Java (was language of choice of the interviewer)

Miserably failed on complexity analysis and didn't go further.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in October 2011.

Got contacted by the Google representative after applying online and accepted the on-campus interview. Went to the interview the next day and was really nervous about the immense pressure coming from the instant coding that is required for such interview. Interview consisted of two back to back interviews with developers at Google and was again really stressful.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in September 2011.

I was contacted by an in-house recruiter. After a short phone call with her, a phone screen was set up.

The phone screen took approximately 1 hour. I was only asked one question (very technical CS related), which I had to code in a shared Google doc. After I was finished, I had a chance to ask the other person questions. A few hours after the phone screen was finished I received a call from my recruiter... they wanted to set up a 1:1 interview in Mountain View, CA.

The Mountain View interview lasted an entire day. The day was scheduled as such: 1:1 interview 1, 1:1 interview 2, lunch with my phone screen interviewer, 1:1 interview 3, 1:1 interview 4. Each interview (and lunch) took about 1 hour. The questions ranged from semi-advanced CS topics to probability and statistics.

They emailed me about a week after the onsite interview to let me know that they weren't going forward with me.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Google in October 2011.

I submited the application online. Then they contacted with me in about 2 weeks and scheduled 2 phone interviews. Each lasted 45 minutes. During the interviews, there are all coding questions. They are all about implementing a class to solve actual problems. The most important data structure I think is the hash table, because all the problems are finally using a hash table structure to improve the performance.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a function boolean matches(String text, String pattern) to find match pattern in the string, pattern can be seperated but the order of letters in pattern cannot be changed.   View Answers (3)
    • Implement an interface to statistics the frequency of new value added.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2011.

The other reviews do this justice. It was very technical, very fast paced.

Interview Questions
    • Design a system or algorithm to catalog all of the worlds books?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Technical questions were very detailed and required a significant amount of time and thought.

Interview Questions
    • Write a memory manager oriented towards millions of very small allocations (less than 10 bytes)   View Answer
    • Write an algorithm to print out all the words in a boggle board   View Answer

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!