Google

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Getting the Interview

800 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The whole process was very long. It took four months to go from the first recruiter call to the onsite interview. In the meantime I had a few phone calls with the recruiter to schedule/wrap things up, two phone interviews and one on-site interview (comprising of 5 interviews with as many people).

Interview Question – Mostly general programming questions of the typical "Google" kind and one system design question.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2013.

Interview Details – They are very, very thorough. Be prepared to pull out your old data-structures and algorithms book for this one. Some of the interviewers are cool, some are hard-lined dicks. But you'll get to interview with 4 different people so it'll run the gamut. Even if you're really good there's no guarantee as they have so much churn.

Interview Question – Writing a binary search tree. Have to remember all the details of things like that which I haven't touched in 10 years. Study, study, study...   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2010.

Interview Details – 45 min Phone screen - I was asked to implement a stack in a language of my choice - I chose C++. I was then asked about how to make it more efficient - until there were no more improvements. I was asked specific questions about my CV - such as how did I implement such and such. then I was asked to visit the office - I had 5 interviews. The first interview, I was asked how to implement a drawLine() function. And also asked how I would create test cases ( TDD ). Second interview I was asked how to find a particular record with a given date out of a set of records. Third interview I was asked a really obscure problem which I can't remember. Fourth interview was about how to implement queue behaviour with 2 stacks. Fifth interview was an algorithm for string operations. Remember to work on your HR type answers, not just technical questions.

Interview Question – Binary and bitshifting. I can't remember what exactly, but it was hard. Learn about negating integers and bitwise arithmetic.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I have applied for a position here. They have contacted me and after an interview with HR, I had two phone technical interviews that involved common data structures questions and toanalyze the complexity of the problems. I cannot give more detailes due to the NDA I sign ed. My opinion is that you have to be very goog in algorithms and data structures.

Interview Question – Afte providing a solution I have been asked to give a better one in terms of comtational time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in December 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring and Interview process is very rigorous and obviously very tough. There are two rounds of interview . First round of interview was technical interview. In this interview fundamental to very difficult , all types of questions are asked. Here different aspects of programming are asked. I was asked about approach to solve some problem. They also asked me to write two program in a programming language of my choice. The programs are not common. There are also fundamental questions about programming like object oriented programming and even some fundamental algorithms.Second round was HR/personality test .

Interview Question – There was so many very difficult technical questions   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a google recuiter via email, which asks whether I am interested in participating tracking (computer vision terminology) projects inside google. When I replied positively, the recuiter asked me for a initial phone screen. We talked briefly over google hangout, and he decided to waive my technical phone interview, and bring me onsite directly.

Interview Question – I was asked by to interpret a piece of code, which, according the interviewer, need knowledge of Z transform in order to understand. I believe the reason behind this strange question is because the group I was interviewing with is Chrome media, and they require a lot of signal processing techniques in daily work.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2013.

Interview Details – I got a call from the recruiter who asked me about my experience and then set up a phone interview, I ended up doing two phone interviews but at the end they said there wasn't a match.

Interview Question – Pots of gold game: Two players A & B. There are pots of gold arranged in a line, each containing some gold coins (the players can see how many coins are there in each gold pot - perfect information). They get alternating turns in which the player can pick a pot from one of the ends of the line. The winner is the player which has a higher number of coins at the end. The objective is to "maximize" the number of coins collected by A, assuming B also plays optimally. A starts the game.   View Answer

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in December 2012.

Interview Details – First of all you need to have a reference in Google wihout reference you are not even in for first round

Interview Question – You cannot expect what questions they will ask and you   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter, first passed a challenging 45 min phone screen, and then had then on site with 5 interviewers. It was about 60% algorithm questions, 30% design questions and 10% math. Not a single question was asked about my previous experience or knowledge. My feeling is that Google designs their interviews for Computer Science grad students, ie advanced courses or knowledge in algorithms will be far more helpful than 15 years of being an expert in your working field to get you a job at Google.

Interview Question – Beware that Google will ask random math questions during interviews. I got hit by a tricky algebra question that I had trouble with. I even got a calculus question. Again, this just shows that they're targeting people from academia who still remember all their advanced math.   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in September 2012.

Interview Details – They take on-campus written and shortlist candidates from it.
They also seek good academics for shortlisting criteria.
There are 5 rounds of Interviews in Google . If you go through all , you have fair chances of selection.
They call you at their office for interviews (all at their expense)

the five rounds can be in any order and every round is shortlisting round after first two interviews.

They basically check your skills in various domains like Data Structures , Algorithms, Coding , Designing, Projects you have done and much more. They start from basics and move to extreme difficult questions.
Every round is of fixed time 45-50 minutes.
They see your thinking process not the solutions for difficult questions. Just give your best and involve your Interviewer during solving your problem.

Interview Question – LCA of 'k' given nodes in an arbitrary tree having N nodes?   View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 800 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.