Google

1,200 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,200 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

Standard interview with some technical questions, they were actually fairly easy. One that stumped me though had to do with bit-wise operations. We honestly have never done them at my university, and I have never encountered them professionally.

I had two phone calls, the second one was better than the first. The first guy seemed really upset about my double major, and kept asking me why I decided to do a double major.

Interview Questions
  • Why did you decide to do a double major?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

2 phone interviews. Didn't make it past the second. Neither question asked was very difficult. First was about string manipulation, second involved fib sequence. Both interviewers were helpful and I thought I did well, but not as well as some of my peers evidently. Make sure to analyze runtime and run through test cases.

Interview Questions
    • Signed a NDA, so I can't discuss, but first phone interview was on string manipulation and the second involved the fibonacci sequence.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Got emailed by a recruiter. First phone interview with him was pretty nice, some basic questions about algorithms, trees and OO programming (basics). Second phone interview was with an engineer. I prepared a ton but this guy was so confusing. They shouldn't let him interview in my opinion...

Interview Questions
    • Give a formula to calculate the number of possible pairs of some elements.   Answer Question
    • This was extremely weird: There is an algorithm with the runtime O(n^2 log(n)). It generates all possible pairs. Then he asked me "Whats the name of this algorithm?". What he meant was "Whats the name of the strategy of this algorithm?" or "How is this algorithm operating?" ==> Divide & Conquer was the answer. Then I had to code it. In reality super simple but asking it this way made it a lot harder...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

First, I was contacted by a recruiter. They tried to set up a time to have my technical interviews. This took a while and I was scheduled for a month after I began talking to the recruiter. My interviews were 45 minutes long and I had 3 of them. After a week they emailed saying that I did not get the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Contacted by recruiter for a position in the Mountain View office. Two phone screens followed by a 4-hour on-site interview. Technical questions were challenging but nothing that can't be prepared for by being really comfortable with basic Algorithm and Data Structures knowledge. My advice would be to spend a lot of time practicing coding algorithm questions with a friend on a white board. I did my questions in C++, but Java is also an option.

Interview Questions
    • Graph traversal, graph search, permutations, distributed system design, etc. About 8 questions in all for me. You should be able to do 1 to 2 completely coded questions in 45 minutes (depending on question difficultly).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

There are 3 phone calls, each for about 45 min, which are made in the same day. All three phone calls are very technical. One question on system design, one on data structure, and one on algorithm. Google docs is used to write code. The reviewer will ask you write some tests and intentionally leave sth unspecified.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a data structure to support dynamic insertion, deletion of intervals. Overlapping intervals should be merged.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

A recruiter contaced me via LinkIn and we had a short talk. I arranged the phone interview on one month later. He asked my most challenging project and what I've learnt from it. Then I was asked to write code and what is the time/space complexity.

Interview Questions
    • transform(char*, size_t) delete all 'a's from the string   Answer Question
    • follow-up: delete all 'a's from the string and change 'b's t o'bee'   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google.

I prepared by reading many parts of Skienna’s algorithm design manual, and watching MIT algorithm lectures. I was already good at algorithms considering my previous class performances so I was just brushing up my knowledge. I spent particular attention to Graph theory following the advice of steve-yegge Blog post on the same topic. Solved as many algorithm problems as I could (I would say I spent a total of 30 hours preparing before my interview over one month), especially graphs because I figured graphs were important at google and if I could dazzle them with my ability to do graph problems then I was in.

The day started gray to begin with and went downhill from there. The recruiter got there 15 minutes later than our meeting time and meanwhile I went from being mildly nervous to almost hysteric. When we met the first interviewer who was visibly annoyed because of the delay (or maybe that was just my perception), the recruiter blamed me for being late. That’s right. I was so shocked, it took me some seconds to actually figure out he really was saying this and after that I didn’t know what to do to make it right (pathetic, I know).

I had five interviews back to back and one additional lunch interview in between. During my first interview it was as if I had a block in place of my brain, I must have asked the poor engineer 10 times to explain the question to me. It was as if he was talking gibberish. I could not focus, I was too nervous and pissed off at the recruiter. Needless to say, I could not write even one single line of code, mainly I stared at the whiteboard. I still don’t remember what the question was actually. I was so embarrassed.

No algorithm question was ever asked. Yes, you heard it right. Not even something involving binary tree or search; nothing. There was one design question and three coding question.

In short, there were things that were under my control. I didn’t do any whiteboard coding (big mistake) and didn’t have time for mock up interviews (another big mistakes). Given all that happened at the beginning to unhinged me (I am skipping something else that happened on the morning of the interview), had I practiced solving questions on the whiteboard and had I done mock up interviews I should have been able to handle it beautifully. The engineers who did the interviews, were all so nice and smart. The recruiters, oh well.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

2 Phone interviews
    4 Onsite interviews

Beginning the process you will receive an email from the recruiter, and you will continue talking with them withing the entire process. They also give you some hints for preparing for the interview.

All the inverviews were focused on algorythms, each one really different and sometimes ticky and funny. You need to be open-minded to catch the trick and get in depht with the problem.

Really awesome experience.

Interview Questions
    • NDA protects to get in details but all questions have its own difficulty. Without algorythm's knowledge, anyone would become stuck.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

It was a long process. here is the timeline
    (day 0) submitted resume through employee
    (day 20) heard back and scheduled phone interview
    (day 35) phone interview
    (day 55) heard back and tried to schedule on-site interview
    (day 85) on site interview
    (day 115) got rejection

leetcode website helped me a lot for preparation. on site interview had 5 interviewers. 4 of them were nice and kind but 1 of them was not. He doesn't say a good thing about any solution that is best or part or best. After learning about my thesis he said the problem is easy.

Interview Questions
    • find sum of numbers in the given range on the given binary search tree   View Answer