Google Software Engineer Interview Questions

1,396 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,396 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone screen, followed by on-site interview consisting of five 45-minute technical interviews and an hour for lunch. Technical interviews focused heavily on algorithms and general software engineering, and all coding was done on a white board. Common themes in the questions were graphs, trees, and hash tables. The interviewers seemed experienced and were able to give great answers about the company.

Interview Questions

• They gave me a sample of code and I was asked to perform a code review and search for a bug.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Interview

Reached by a coordinator, passed phone interview and went to on-site interview. There are four on-site one-to-one interview and lunch with another engineer. I solved all interview questions, but some may not optimal, and I made a serious problem which was pointed out by the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview is extremely simple. I can't remember exact questions, all of those questions only require basic level of data structures and common algorithms, such as linked list (I used twice), binary tree, dynamic programming, BFS, recursion, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google.

Interview

The recruiter called me and setup an initial phone interview. The interviewer called me and introduced himself. He was difficult to understand because of his heavy accent. Then he asked me a simple problem and asked me to immediately code it on the online whiteboard. The online whiteboard editor was really horrible and i struggled to type my code in. After I somehow finished typing(all the while not giving me a break to think about the problem but to keep typing and talking), he asked me its performance. Then i suggested the use of a different data structure to get better performance. Basically the interview was horrible and not what you expect from google. On top the problem was an easy one, which needed some time to think before coding(which was not encouraged). Not what you expect from the best company in the world.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in May 2015.

Interview

Ich wurde von einem Recruiter von Google angeschrieben, nachdem ich von einem Freund, der sich auch bei Google beworben hat, vorgeschlagen worden bin, angeschrieben. Nach einem kurzen Telefongespräch hab ich dann ihnen meinen Lebenslauf zugeschickt und hatte kurze Zeit später mein Telefoninterview (45 min). Nachdem dies erfolgreich verlief wurde ich dann auf den Campus eingeladen für weitere Interviews (5x45 min). Eine Woche später erhielt ich dann deren Angebot. Insgesamt hat der ganze Prozess 6 Wochen gedauert, hätte aber auch schneller gehen können, da man selber entscheiden kann, wann man die Interviews haben will und ich mir beide Male je zwei Wochen Zeit gelassen habe.

Interview Questions

• Die Fragen testen zum großen Teil ob man sich mit Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen auskennt und schafft sie auf neue Probleme anzuwenden. Auch wird getestet, wie man bei unklaren Fragestellungen reagiert.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in July 2015.

Interview

Very boring overall, culture fit interviewer seemed disinterested and out of touch with the place. One interviewer prepared a question based on Java and didn't want to ask it when I said I was better at C++, even though I was prepared to try it. Then he made up a question on the spot, which was a poor one.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in July 2015.

Interview

2 back to back telephone calls from the software engineer of google, each one last for 45 mins, writing codes in google doc, they are focusing the core algorithms and data structures design and implementation

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The phone screen was pretty straight-forward. I was asked 2 coding problems and the interview lasted 45 minutes. The onsite interview was pretty tough. I was asked tough but very interesting problems especially the coding problems. The remaining interviews were about design and past projects. Overall a good experience. Definitely prepare well for interviews!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in June 2015.

Interview

Had a first phone interview where I was asked some questions pertaining to C and did some coding. The interviewer was slightly condescending but it was generally ok. A few weeks later I had another phone interview that started right off the bat with the interviewer asking me to write a function declaration in C++ without even an introduction from the interviewer. The interviewer also had an extremely thick accent and the connection was bad so I could barely hear what she was saying. When I asked her to repeat herself several times to make sure I understood what she was saying, she got very impatient and was extremely rude. For the last question, I was in the middle of optimizing my code when she abruptly specified that time was up and immediately hung up. It honestly seemed like she had given up on me midway through the interview after I had asked her to repeat herself a couple of times. After that it felt like she was barely paying attention to what I was saying. This was one of the worst phone interviews I've had.

Interview Questions

• First interview: Basic C questions, had to read a piece of code and describe what it does, and then wrote a function to merge two linked lists. Second interview: How to design an interface, create a class.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google in March 2015.

Interview

First Interview, the interviewer was pretty nice, first talked about one of my android project and then gave me 2 technique question. I cannot solve the second question, so i was rejected. 2 questions: 1. Best Time To Sell Stock 2 on Leetcode 2. follow up: same as question 1, but with 1 restriction: after you sell your stock, you cannot buy stock on next day. now what is the max profit.

Interview Questions

• 1. Best Time To Sell Stock 2 on Leetcode 2. follow up: same as question 1, but with 1 restriction: after you sell your stock, you cannot buy stock on next day. now what is the max profit.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in May 2015.

Interview

I applied to Google and Facebook at roughly the same time. Although I did not get any offer, interview at Facebook was professional and friendly, and at the end I learned about my strong and weak sides. Interview at Google was the opposite of that. 1. Recruiter sent me an email asking when we could talk. I answered specifying when I have time for a phone call. Then there was over a week of silence, and finally recruiter called me on different hour that I specified. He said that he has one possible date for phone interview, so I accepted. 2. My first phone interview did not happen, because interviewer did not show up. Interview was rescheduled. 3. Second interview went smoothly. I answered all the questions, and interviewer seemed satisfied with the answers. 4. The same day recruiter called me and said that my evaluation was inconclusive and we need another phone interview. I asked for technical feedback, but I was not given any. The only information that I received was that "my solution was not good enough". 5. Second interview went similar to the first one. Again I answered all the questions. This time interviewer even said that he is satisfied with my answers. 6. After a week recruiter called me and said that evaluation was inconclusive again, and this ends recruitment process. I asked for technical feedback, and he said that he does not have any, but he will contact me when he get one. 7. After two weeks without information, I tried to contact my recruiter by email. Then again by phone. 8. After a month I received anonymous survey about my interview experience. I used it to complain about lack of information from recruiter and the fact that I still do not know why I was rejected. 9. The next morning I got a call from my recruiter. He apologized for not contacting me earlier and gave me technical feedback from my two interviews. I learned that first call I failed because my solution was not optimal (it was O(N log N) when O(N) was possible). On the second call I implemented optimal algorithm, but there were several issues with implementation that led to lowering my evaluation to "neutral". And two neutral opinions are not enough to qualify. Overall, recruiter never answered any of my emails, and each time we talk he was condescending and unfriendly. Overall it was frustrating and disheartening experience.

Interview Questions

• Sort lines in very large file (large enough that it does not fit into memory).   1 Answer