Google Software Engineer Interview Questions

1,279 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,279 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in April 2015.

Interview

This was my first Phone Screen.
My interviewer was really friendly and we got along great. The atmosphere was light. She started out telling me how the interview will be scheduled and got right on asking me technical questions. After this part was finished ( approx. 50 min), I asked some questions.

I got positive feedback and am now interviewing again.

Interview Questions

• Started out with simple question - to get warmed up:
    Implement a function: makeNumeronym(string s){...}
    Ex: house -> h3e, marcus -> m3s

Answer Question
  • Then the more difficult question was how I'd reverse this.
    Implement function: GetStringsfromNumeronym(string numeronym){...}
    h3e -> {house, halle, hocke....}

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interviews started at 9:45 AM and ended at 2:00 PM

1. Technique interview
         a long hair guy started with a technique question immediately

2. Technique interview
         the interviewer started from introducing the project he is working on in google and followed by a technique question

3. Technique interview
         2 technique questions. The first one is easy while the second is not.
    4. Lunch

5. Technique interview
        A tall, blonde hair beauty asked me one technical questions.

I managed to write the code for all the questions asked first by the interviewer. Then I was stuck at the questions where the interviewer asked me to improve time complexity. I think it's important to solve it with an efficient solution, not just a working one, for google.

Interview Questions

• 1. find k numbers which sum to n. ( I think the interviewer wanted to ask me to optimize the solution but we ran out of time)

2. find a path from source to target in a tree where each node can have arbitrary number of children.
      (follow up: how to do this in sub O(n) time and linear space given that you can store the reachability in each node)

3.OOP: add urls and find the median
      (follow up: do it in O(logn))

4. decide if there is a cycle in a graph

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Back in December a recruiter contacted me through email (it was first sent to my college email's spam folder) and I scheduled the phone interview extremely later to prepare for the possible questions.

A Googler from Mountain View contacted me and we went over 3 different questions. The first question I knew how to do since I completed it a week before the interview and I told the interviewer. I briefly ran through my logic and we went forward to the next question (without writing any codes). The second question consisted of tree traversal (simple question) and the third question consisted of a little bit more input and thought. I was not able to directly answer it and asked numerous questions to get a better scope of the problem. In the end, I was able to write the program on Google Docs.

A week later I was contacted for an onsite interview, which I have in a few days.

I put "No" for did you get an offer because I have yet to do the on-site interview.

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (San Bernardino, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for a Software Engineering role at Youtube. First round very easy and it was possible to get through the question in 2 lines of code with a recursive approach. My interviewer then asked me to write the iterative version which I did. 2 weeks later my recruiter called me to tell me I made the final round.

The final round consisted of 5 technical interviews. For me there were 4 coding and 1 system design. The coding questions covered purely data structures, algorithms. The system design question was also very technical too. I managed to get to an efficient clean solution on every single interview, tested my code and got good feedback from each one of my interviewers as well during the interview. Also I had great discussions with all my interviewers at the end of each interview, they were all very nice and helpful.

However, the recruiter told me that they were not moving forward with me. I was very surprised.

The recruiter mentioned I had received high scores on communication skills, analytical skills, and coding skills. The feedback was that I had some bugs in my code. I checked through every line I wrote at every interview and I don't believe this was actually true. I have never done so well at an interview just to get rejected and honestly I am sure I am not the only one google treats like this. I found the process to be very disrespectful to candidates as if we are robots. I personally lost all interest of working for the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in March 2015.

Interview

I had 3 phone interviews which were completely about coding. In each of these interviews, I have answered one question. my solutions for the first and the last questions were almost correct the second one was horrible, I was not able to understand the interviewer's accent.

Interview Questions

• I am not allowed to share the interviews' questions but they require understanding of dynamic programming, BFS/DFS, and HashTable.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for the internship opportunity for the previous summer but the campus recruiter contact me at my last semester for the Full-Time position. This is my first screen interview for full-time position. The interviewer is an engineer, quite nice. However, I am very nervous and the result is not well. After a couple days, I got the declined message from HR.

Interview Questions

• Please implement a function to generate the 3-digits numbers with no duplicate digits and no duplicate permutation. For example: 122 is not allowed and 123 321 is not allow, only output one of the permutations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

An introduction and then a coding question. That's it. No questions about who you are, resume, CS knowledge, NONE of the stuff in the syllabus they gave you. I just went in and started coding. Strangest "interview" I've done yet. The question was typical array/string manipulation you see everywhere but was really hard to understand.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

All I can say is. WOW. Absolutely infuriating experience.

LLOOONNNGG story short: I interviewed with Google NINE MONTHS ago today. The interview went well, I liked the people there. I was told I'd be getting an offer.

For 9 months, on average I'd get a call every 2 weeks saying something to the effect of "we're sorry this is taking so long, you'll hear something no later than Friday".

Eventually I got fed up with this and complained about the person telling me this that was consistently breaking his promises. After complaining, I got genuine phone calls of apology and then another "you'll hear from us within 2 weeks." 2 weeks passed. You can gather how the story goes on.

I complained again. I felt that 9 months was unreasonable. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 20 times, shame on me.

After my last complaint, I got a call from the recruiter telling me I'm no longer a candidate at Google.

Absolute waste of time on both our parts. In the end no one won, which is what is so baffling to me.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Intense and demanding. Many expectations for a graduate student, and I was driven to meet them with large amounts of preparation. Will definitely go back to reapply as soon as I can.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First talked with a Google recruiter about the position. Then the recruiter forwarded my resume to the office where the job was. A week later I had a phone interview with an engineer that asked me a few questions about my job, then asked a technical question and had to code in a word document. I answered all the questions correctly but was not offered a job and was told they wanted more experience.