Google

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Getting the Interview

797 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

San Bruno, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – 4 rounds technical interviews plus lunch.
They are very nice and almost agree with you on everything. When your write the code on the board they always say "great", "perfect"... I think this is the trap. They make me less nervous which is great but I also started thinking that the problems are not hard and I can definitely get the job. Here is when things goes wrong.

Interview Question – How to protect data when you transfer it online. e.g. You need to submit your username and password from your client to the server and there is people who is listening to the information.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online at the Google jobs website. I was contacted by a recruiter and was invited to do a back to back interviews at Google. I initially had a phone conversation with the recruiter about the Google interview process. I heard back from the recruiter about a week after the back to back interview.

Interview Question – Build a pseudorandom maze. Write a method to deep copy a graph. Given an n x n matrix of numbers, how do I find a number?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – First, a person will contact you to arrange time for the interview. For internship, I have two 1-hour phone interviews in the same day. It'd better to have at least 2 weeks to prepare after you get the contact from Google. Also the phone signal might be bad so be prepared to have alternative way to contact. The first question is about bitwise operation. Study from Cracking the Interviews might help.

Interview Question – Design a class where you can add elements, and return the mean of the latest N elements.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Had initial contact from a recruiter over email, had a short 20 minute phone conversation where recruiter asked about my professional background and asked me to rate myself in a few technical areas, then asked some trivia questions. We scheduled a phone interview a few weeks later. Interview took about 45 minutes with 10 minutes at the end to clean up code and then ask questions to the interviewer. Interview was a success, scheduled a second phone interview in another couple weeks.

Interview Question – Code was done in Python on a Google Docs document. First weeder question was implementing binary search. Next question was about text processing and after the initial solution was given, additional constraints were added to encourage me to make a better solution.   View Answer

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – 4 45min interviews done in one day, most of which was technical. One interview was dedicated to non technical stuff but all others were pretty much 95% technical.

Interview Question – Asking about performance complexity of items.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter from Google. We then arranged a time for a phone interview. Basically talked about my background and he then introduced google working environment and advantages. He then arranged a phone screen for me after half a month. The questions on the phone screen are not difficult, but very tricky. You need to be very familiar with algorithms and data structure, and also be very experienced to code with your most preferred language. The materials sent by the recruiter is very helpful. I was graduating during the time, so I didn't have enough time to practice coding. I didn't pass it.

Interview Question – Design a cache with O(1) search time and delete time.   View Answer

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – I submitted my CV online and and was contacted by a recruiter. After communicating with the recruiter a technical phone interview was scheduled with a coding session via a shared Google doc. Following the phone interview a follow second technical phone interview was scheduled. Google decided not to proceed after the second interview.

Interview Question – The coding questions weren't particularly difficult, however they were very open ended. This means discussing your thoughts out loud as you progress through the question is the most important factor.   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – 1st interview: Informal phone interview about "your history and potential options here at Google".
The interview was nice and took around 30 minutes.
The recruiter basically asked about what was on my CV and then a few other questions like:
- How much hours a day do you spend coding?
- What is your favorite programming language?
- Do you know the Quicksort algorithm? Tell me its average and worst case performance.
After asking everything she wanted to, I was told about what I should expect from the next interviews. Also, she sent me an e-mail full of useful links (study material).

2nd interview: Technical phone interview with a shared Google Docs file.
The interview took 45-50 minutes.
I was asked to code a program to get the string from the text box from google search engine and do a few things with it, like language identification, autocomplete, etc. I was also asked to explain the concept of deadlocks, how I would code processes and resources making a deadlock state happen.

Interview Question – How would you implement language identification for the search engine?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – 45 min interview. First 10 min are questions about you. Then you get two programming questions, 15 min each. Finally you get to ask questions about the company for 5 min.

Interview Question – 1) Implement x^n fast (divide & conquer)
2) Implement shortest path fast (dynamic programming)
  Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview took 45 minutes. Asked a question about graph travesal. gave a working solution but interview was dissatisfied. Failed me after 2 days

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 797 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.