Google

Average Difficulty
860 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – I got an email from the recruiter within 45 minutes of submitting an application, but the whole process of the interview took nearly a month. The first interview was a phone interview, which wasn't too tricky. The interviewer was very kind and help with any questions I had. After passing the phone interview I moved to an onsite interview. I had a series of 4 interviews. None of the questions I got asked where too challenging, but all of the interviewers pressed me for more or to expand on what I had after I had worked out a problem. All but one of the interviews were kind and helped me with any questions, but the last one was tight lipped throughout the interview, and just expected me to figure it all out and write it on the board.

Interview Question – The one that tripped me up asked me to write code to return all words in a dictionary that can be formed from a string of numbers (e.g. 34556), where the numbers map the same why they do on a phone (e.g. 1->A, B, or C).   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Interview Details – Going for first technical this Monday! Applied online a long time ago, more then a few months ago but less then a year? maybe. So the first phone call was a basic screening, see if your a candidate for the process, you set a date and your left to study for that, which I am currently doing. Will keep this upto date.

Interview Question – Study, Study, Study. I'm reading Gayle Laakmann McDowell's Cracking the Coding Interview 5th edition to prep.   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I initiated the process by responding to an email message from a sourcer and was handed off to a recruiting coordinator. I spoke several times with the recruiting coordinator, who was my primary contact point throughout the proces. After an intial phone screen, I was invited onsite to speak with 5 engineers (with a break for lunch mid-day).

Folowing the interviews, I received a tentative "not officially an offer" congradulatory call at which point we discussed teams that would be a good match for my skill set. Once one was selected, I received a formal offer, which I had 5 business days to accept.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Applied online.
Screened with two phone interviews each an hour long. Extremely technical.
Then I had to wait until second round for a hiring manager to be interested in my profile.
Had another interview with hiring manager. It was technical but less formal than the screen. More like telling him about some stuff that I had done in previous jobs.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – My resume was referred by a current employee. I got a call from a recruiter a couple weeks later and had a 10 minute conversation with her about the whole process, bit on my background, and what I'm looking for. She sent me an email with all of the content that is considered fair game for an interview. I asked for a month to study before the phone interview.

The phone interview was 45 minutes, with maybe 35 of it being technical questions and coding in a Google Doc. The recruiter called me later that day saying they wanted to bring me in for on-site interviews. I asked for them to be scheduled as soon as possible (already been studying, didn't want to forget anything). The on-site interviews were scheduled for almost 3 weeks later.

My round of interviews on-site wasn't as smooth as the recruiter claims they usually are. I was taken to a small conference that was to be my "home" for the day and the recruiter wrote the schedule of who and when on the white board. The first guy that showed up was not the one listed. Second guy was 15 minutes late. Last guy of the day turned out to be working at home and they had to substitute on the fly (15 minute delay again). Not really a big deal, but I think worth noting.

The interviews themselves were 45 minutes each, again about 35 - 40 minutes of which were technical questions and coding on the white board. All questions fell within the review content suggested by the email. One interview was more of a design/approach interview and np-complete did come up once. In general the questions were designed to be challenging, but solvable in the time-frame.

To study, I read Wikipedia pages and took notes for the topics mentioned in the email. I used a couple other materials for design and integration patterns. This worked as sufficient review for me.

My final comment is regarding how I think they determine level. I was out of undergrad for four years when I interviewed. My experience in the field is longer than that. The recruiter said for their purposes my level was "four years", which I think worked in my favor because they expected less.

Interview Question – The design/approach interview was the hardest simply because it's far more open ended.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I chose not to negotiate as the offer was more than acceptable for me.

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Extremely competent, friendly and respectful human resources. We get personalized emails, they reply to their emails and calls. The vast majority of employees I met were extremely friendly.

Interview Question – All questions are challenging. Best to prepare well by reviewing the material they send us before the interview. Ideally review the Algorithms courses given at Coursera..   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in June 2014.

Interview Details – refered by a friend, then quickly got a phone interview one week after. First I described my current work and project and experience on my resume. Then was asked difference btw interface inheritance and implementation inheritance. coding problem is simple: binary search.

Interview Question – follow up with this: someone modified your binary search code and the result is bad(modified version may not be binary search any more). create a test case to find out whether the code is binary search without source code on hand.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. New grad. Had a phone interview about a week later for LA Google. The interviewer is very nice. It is a 45 minutes phone call. First of all, the interviewer introduced himself and his team a little bit and so did I. Then some basic technique questions such as TCP vs UDP, stack vs queue. At last, a programming question. Nice experience. I think I failed because of bad English and not very well prepared.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a Google recruiter over Linkedin. He then proceeded to schedule a phone interview (which was a month later as I knew it would be tough). The interviewer was pretty knowledgeable but had a heavy Chinese accent. He asked me about my background and what I would like to do at Google. When I said I would like to work in applications like gmail, earth or youtube he asked me why not in infrastructure or devops ? He then proceeded to give an algorithmic question (over Google docs) for finding the local minimum value in an array. Although I wrote the correct algorithm in Java with time complexity O(n) , he then proceeded to give me hints to optimize it. Here I was found wanting and hence did not receive an offer.

Interview Question – What type of queries/use cases would a column-oriented database be most useful for ?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I interviewed at Google in June 2013.

Interview Details – I had an intern at Google, so they took another two interviews at the end to decide for full time position. They also took 3 references from my mentors. The interviews were typical of a company sized as Google. They included algorithmic and system design questions. After two months waiting time I was hired.