Google

Getting the Interview

798 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – My technical screening algorithm problem was challenging enough. I enjoyed that time on solving the problem. At first i had solution with much time complexity and finally I got the best approach to solve the problem. Interviewer told me that wast the best solution they are looking for. But I was stuck on the coding part at last moment so I was not selected to go even further. I always thought like how you come up to solve the problems matter rather than the exact code, but that is not true with google. They need perfect code in very short 30 min time. I guess they always missed very innovative and a different kind of software engineer by judging like this way.

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Within 1 week I was contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled 1 month after their first email. 1 week afterwards, the onsite interview was scheduled 3 weeks after. There were 4 interview sessions and a lunch in between. Currently waiting on their decision.

Interview Question – The lunch session with the Google employee will not affect their hiring decision. You should ask about the internal workings of the company. How are projects assigned? How much is annual income increase?   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Got an email from a recruiter for setting up an interview which included the topics that will be covered in the interview: mostly algorithms, datastructures, coding skills.
Had an initial screening interview.

Interview Question – Mostly covers algorithms and data structures, complexity analysis. Expected to work through the code on whiteboard   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – 2 rounds on-campus interview and 3 rounds on-site

Interview Question – convert tree to html   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – It is 45 mins. 2 questions, first one about distributed algorithm, not very clear about the request, which is confusing, second one about array, to delete the duplicate. For the first question, I even could not fully understand the question itself because limited information. For second one, it is very easy to answer.

Interview Question – how to design a algorithm which could run in a large computer systems?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Most software engineers do a phone screen first. I had two referrals who recommended me highly, so I skipped the phone screen and went straight to on-site interviews. Five technical interviews in a single day, with a break for lunch. Interviews were heavy on coding, algorithms, and software design. Practice solving coding problems on a whiteboard.

Interview Question – I don't remember it exactly, but a coding question in my first interview with an engineer who didn't speak English very well. I had no feedback from her about whether I was even on the right track. She just typed into her laptop and said almost nothing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a signing bonus of $10k so I could take a bit of time off before joining.

Software Engineering Interview

Mountain View, Buncombe, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – Process was a series of phone screens and collaborative work sessions on Google docs. Each step of the process was largely a repeat of the previous step. All steps focused on computer science. None of the interviewers were able to give me a firm date as to when the next step would happen. From the interview process one must conclude Google is an academically demanding and hostile place.

Interview Question – Design a system that accepts a small amount of data from every user, and serves it up internally at a Google scale without knowing google's architecture, replication, or authentication services.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I'm a star performer in my current job. I expect to be a VP in a multi billion dollar company in a few years. At Google I would be just average. Google has demonstrated insensitivity and tone deafness. I don't need to work with a bunch of geeks. The interview process has left me angry.

Software Engineer

I interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter February 2014, did phone screen March 2014 and get rejected the next day

Interview Question – The coding question have nothing to do with data structure or algorithm, coding is short and extremely easy and no improvement needed(brute force). However, the background is complicated, lots of question needed to be asked before any coding is done, otherwise you will be doomed as I did.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter contact me through linkedin and ask if I am available. Then she arranged two phone interviews. Both are from the knowledge project group. Google document is used to share the idea. And the conversation is through phone call.

Interview Question – Designed a method to identify utf-8 characters.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – got interview with google. first a little check with my resume, about 5 mins, then asked what is my favorite google product, then asked about a question: you got a fence, you need to paint the boards with black and white, but can not have 3 or more boards same color in a roll. how many ways do you have.

Interview Question – what is my favorite Google product, need to show passion about it   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google