Google Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 28, 2014

3.5

974 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

I got a phone interview after a career fair. I tried to convert it to a on campus interview but failed. I got a phone call and starting to coding on google docs.

Interview Questions
  • First question is to write a sort function, i wrote bubble sort, next is sort linked-lists. I'v tried to write a right version, but the interviewer wants me to optimize it. The final answer is "you can pre calculate the length of the linked-list". The questions are easy, but hard to tell if it's good for selecting programmers.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google in October 2014.

HR connected me at August. Re-connect with her at October. Then had a phone interview. Some behavior question. Just one technical question about design a game. Not much difficult but generate a random number but not the previous generated number is a little tricky.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult but generate a random number but not the previous generated number is a little tricky.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

Started from the campus recruiting. But have not got back for two month. Then from friend's referral. Only phone interview finished but failed to pass the phone interview. I know there are onsite interview afterwards. But I am not able to get in.

Interview Questions
    • Some basic sorting algorithms and data structure. Easy but need to consider a lot of boundary conditions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Was contacted by a Google recruiter. Talked to two people on the phone. Both had large egos and fresh out of school. One asked some algorithm questions, and then suddenly hung up. There was second interview a few days later- the other person focused on scalability. There was significant disagreement between us on how to achieve it.

Interview Questions
    • NDA was signed so cannot provide question.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

No phone screening. Followed by on-site interviews.
    The recruiter seemed to prefer Python and network related experience.
    Recommended some books and web links, a couple of weeks before the interview started.
    Was asked to write code on the white board while explaining what is being done. Chose C++ but Python or Java would have been a better suit.
    Seems to be important to prepare for impressive questions to ask the interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Embarrassed that most interview questions were about database design, not quite related to my background given in the resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

Submitted resume online and got 2 phone interviews, both technical. Process time about 3 to 4 weeks. Asked about projects on resume and coding questions. One is really easy and the other is build a multiplier

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Contacted by HR at early July, asking whether I can have an phone interview in 3 weeks. Replied "not available until August". Contacted again in late July and scheduled a phone interview in late August.

During the interview, I was asked to talk about my resume, including project and research experiences. Then asked to write a class to define a deck of cards, and write shuffle function for the cards.

Interview Questions
    • was asked to write a class to define a deck of cards, and write shuffle function for the cards.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Applied online, a few weeks later a recruiter emailed me to set up phone interviews. Two back to back phone interviews with coding through a google doc. One was with a software developer and one with a manager. Decision took another few weeks before it came back.

Interview Questions
    • Basic data structures questions and sorting algorithms   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Applied online without referral. Recruiter reached out to me. I filled a questionnaire to indicate my interests. Got two phone interviews. They were not very hard. After the phone interviews, you learn in a few days if you have passed. Then, you are in a pool and wait for someone to be interested in you. If you know people at the company, definitely let them know so that they can inform their friends that you are looking for an intern host. If someone is interested, a host interview is set-up. This is usually non-technical and only to see if you are interested in the project. If no one comes up after some time, they defer your application to next internship season. Next time, you directly enter the pool without any additional interviews.

Recruiter is also a key person. Sometimes, they look out for you, sometimes they don't care.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Typical questions that you can find in "Cracking the coding interview" or "Programming interviews exposed".   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Through website, set up phone interview. During phone interview, had basic questions about previous projects and then had to code in a google doc. If you review the material they give you going in and have a quick mind, you should do fine. If you haven't covered at least have of it though, you probably will have to reapply whenever you have learned it.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot reveal because I signed a confidentiality statement.   Answer Question