Google Software Engineer Interview Questions

1,436 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,436 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone calls, followed by a day of interviews. I met with four or five hiring managers. Some technical discussion, some description of the positions. There is a minimum requirement for the length of the description of the interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Bellevue, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

At first, a recruiter contacted me by LinkedIn, about 2 month befroe Graduated and we had a phone call for checking my background. After that, I got a technique phone interview. Based on my background, an expert engineer from related area interviewed me. The interview lasted 45 mins, I could answer as many questions as I can.

Interview Questions

• Simple algorithm about array, like dfs, using in image processing.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The process was very straight forward. My application was received and I got a call from a member of the staffing team to go over the interview process and set up a time for the phone screen. After the phone screen, you can move on to in-person interviews. If you do well enough on those, you go to the hiring committee. Overall, it was a great experience! Even though I didn't get hired, I'll be back for another try. You'll learn a lot, even if you don't get hired. Biggest tip: practice whiteboard coding and do a mock interview, even if you just have a friend help you. Time and space are very different when coding on a white board.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA. Know your data structures, algorithms, etc. The recruiters will give you the rundown of everything you need to know.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone screen, followed by on-site interview consisting of five 45-minute technical interviews and an hour for lunch. Technical interviews focused heavily on algorithms and general software engineering, and all coding was done on a white board. Common themes in the questions were graphs, trees, and hash tables. The interviewers seemed experienced and were able to give great answers about the company.

Interview Questions

• They gave me a sample of code and I was asked to perform a code review and search for a bug.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in June 2015.

Interview

Had a first phone interview where I was asked some questions pertaining to C and did some coding. The interviewer was slightly condescending but it was generally ok. A few weeks later I had another phone interview that started right off the bat with the interviewer asking me to write a function declaration in C++ without even an introduction from the interviewer. The interviewer also had an extremely thick accent and the connection was bad so I could barely hear what she was saying. When I asked her to repeat herself several times to make sure I understood what she was saying, she got very impatient and was extremely rude. For the last question, I was in the middle of optimizing my code when she abruptly specified that time was up and immediately hung up. It honestly seemed like she had given up on me midway through the interview after I had asked her to repeat herself a couple of times. After that it felt like she was barely paying attention to what I was saying. This was one of the worst phone interviews I've had.

Interview Questions

• First interview: Basic C questions, had to read a piece of code and describe what it does, and then wrote a function to merge two linked lists. Second interview: How to design an interface, create a class.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial call with recruiter followed by initial tech screen over phone. Recruiter was very friendly and we got along well. Interviewer was also nice, but I wasn't able to complete the problem adequately. Phone screen was a brief rundown of my history and some basic algorithm/data structure questions followed by the coding portion.

Software/Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I interviewed in Oct/Nov of 2014 for internship position. That included interview with a recruiter and 2 phone interviews with engineers. I was part of internship in Feb-May 2015. In May/June of 2015 I interviewed for a full-time position. I had 4 engineering interviews ( 2 + 2 ). After those interviews it was decided that my packet is not strong enough to go in front of hiring committee.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

It was a good one. Five rounds. Asked about some algorithm questions in C++. The process is efficient. It was a good one. Five rounds. Asked about some algorithm questions in C++. The process is efficient. It was a good one. Five rounds. Asked about some algorithm questions in C++. The process is efficient.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Small things helped like the recruiters sending you notes of encouragement right before your interview and the interviewers were very friendly. Applied online to multiple jobs, received an email from a Google recruiter to setup a time for initial phone call. Recruiter reminded me this was not an interview. Setup a phone call interview 2 weeks out and got an approval a week later. I was invited for an on-site interview which took very long to setup, about 3-4 weeks. The on-site interview was 5 interviews with a lunch interview. I had a very positive experience throughout the entire process and would apply again in the future.

Interview Questions

• They were all coding questions. For phone you will use Google doc, for on-site you only use whiteboard and the interviewers take pictures with their smartphones.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The recruiter called me up and we had a friendly chat. Then one engineer from the Google head office called for the technical interview. The interviewer started the interview by asking a programming problem right away. It was more on the easier side. After I finished it, we moved on to other questions based on the same problem.