Google

1,032 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,032 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

It took few weeks,somebody called me for first time and after some general chatting he sent me an email to have technical phone interview.
Questions were not that hard but the interviewer had very bad accent and breakage in the voice.The call quality were very low and I hardly could understand the questions.
The interviewer was not helpful.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I applied online and got an email back the next day. The recruiter was very nice and very quick to reply. We set up two back-to-back phone screen interviews requiring live coding. The first was pretty straightforward and we completed 3 questions. The second was a tougher question that took longer.

Interview Questions
    • I'm not allowed to post anything about the specific questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I get in touch with Google Recruiter through an employee referral. The recruiter is so cool, and some informal discussion about my background and he explained the interview procedure. One week after they organized a phone interview, but the phone line was pretty bad and very hard to understand what the interviewer is asking. I think it my unlucky day and everything was uncomfortable. All the questions were unexpected and no small mistakes are tolerated.

Interview Questions
    • Reorganize array of numbers in "s1 < s2 > s3 < s4 >.... " fashion. The numbers may include duplicates.   View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Got my initial phone interview through an employee referral. This was followed up with a second phone interview since I didn't do too well on my first one, I think. I did manage to get to an onsite interview in San Bruno with four interviewers. However, I ultimately failed to get hired.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were really difficult in a logical sense after preparation from provided materials, but I think I misinterpreted the question the second interviewer gave me after later reflection.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Met Google at campus career fair. Signed up for interview.

Had two on-campus interviews - one on algorithms, one on data structures. Both interviews were about 45 minutes long and pretty much launched right into the problem. There wasn't much small talk beforehand. I did the coding on a sheet of paper.

After that, had a phone interview which was more informal - just a discussion of my technical background and projects.

Interview Questions
    • Problem 1: Effectively boiled down to: "Find the ith largest integer in an array of integers". The solution was order statistics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_algorithm)

Problem 2: Given a simple cellular automaton. Asked to design a data structure to represent it using the least amount of memory I could. Then asked to implement an algorithm to make the automaton take a step (following a set of rules) and make it as efficient as possible.
        Answer Question
    No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Talked to recruiter over the phone who then sent me an email with all of the details on what the interview would be like over the phone with an engineer. I had one technical interview with the engineer but apparently got mixed reviews so they are giving me a second chance.

Interview Questions
    • Asked 1 relatively well known programming question plus some questions about prototyping.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

I put up a sparse profile on LinkedIn and was contacted in a few days.
    The first call was from an HR person and was very short. Just a cursory look at the interview process and a appointment scheduling. Also, I was given an email with a great deal of study material.
    Second call was a 45 min technical interview. I got the first question in about 25-30 minutes then the interviewer asked me other questions about my resume. We never got to the second
    I got a call back a week later or so saying they wanted to fly me out.
    The on-site was four interviews and a lunch in the middle. The final interview had a second employee sitting in a shadowing the interviewer.
    After this, it was about a month until they got back to me with the verdict.

Interview Questions
    • The final interview had a tricky question about converting a post-order tree to pre-order.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Get email from recruiter stating that they wish to contact me because I dropped my resume last year, and see if I am still interested to this position. After that I had an interview with one of the engineers. Interview was fair, including some behavior questions and one technical question. I was asked to talk about the algorithm to the problem, its complexity before writing it down on google doc. After I finished I was also asked to state any potential problems. After 2 days I got a call from recruiter and said I need to have a second phone screening from another engineer. The 2nd interview was pretty much the same format as the first one besides there are more behavior, and there are two technical. The interviewer only asked me to give the algorithm to the first one, and I need to actually write down the code for the second one. I cant finish writing, because the interview is limited in one hour, and the interviewer called me somewhat late. Recruiter called me few days later to inform me I didn't get through to the final round.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I applied online and the process took about three weeks. Then it was two back-to-back 45 minutes general technology interviews. The interviewers were nice and helpful. One week later, I was asked to do an additional 45-min general tech interview. They didn't say much about why but it was hard. Unfortunately I didn't make to the next round.

Interview Questions
    • Signed NDA. But they were pretty common coding questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Applied online and three weeks later received an E-mail from the recruiter saying that I'm going to have two on-site interviews at the Fremont Google office in Seattle. Each interview takes 45 minutes. The questions are straightforward, involving array searching, binary tree searching, and recursion/DP, but I got stuck in one question and took a while to finish it. One week later I got the rejection letter.