Google

Average Difficulty
869 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me on linked in and set me up with a phone interview. The phone interview was conducted through a text editor similar to notepad. The interview was conducted by an engineer. He couldn't tell me anything about what openings existed or what positions they were looking to fill or even if the job would bin in California or Washington.

Interview Question – You and opponent alternate picking gold pots out of line. You can pick either from the left or the right. All amounts of gold in all pots are know. Write an algorithm to pick the most gold. Assume you opponent is using the same algorithm.   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was applied for the software engineer for new grad. The HR is very nice. I got one phone interview. He asked about writing a code for write a fractional number a/b to decimal c.def(gh...i). I have explained the algorithm and write down the code on google doc.

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details – Process took a bit longer than other companies, so start early. The questions are quite easy in my mind and I think I did OK. However I am rejected after the phone screen and I am not sure why. The recruiter would not share feedback either. I wish the process is a bit more transparent.

Interview Question – No real difficult questions   View Answer

Software Engineer

Interview Details – I applied online. Then recruiters contacted me for a telephone interview. There were three recruiters in total. They were all very nice. The interviewer called me on time at 11: 00 am. He asked whether I had any question. I said not really. Then he wrote the question on Google doc.

Interview Question – Tree construction, I was asked many other questions during my process writing code for this question.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – I got a mail from Google after a friend of mine referred my CV. after scheduling a phone interview I got a call from a HR recruiter. the interview was very personal, with no professional questions. I was asked to describe my work experience in more detail. what kind of projects was I involve with and what kind of technologies do I know. I was asked why do I want to work for Google, and am I open to new technologies.

Interview Question – I was asked to give 3 top products of the company that I love. why do I love them and how I would improve them.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – It took more than a month for the HR manager to arrange me an interview. An engineer called and asked questions regarding to only memory processing, not much algorithmic.

Interview Question – In c++ what happens if an int value overflow?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – 4 interviews on one day in Pittsburgh. Nothing difficult, and interviewer said that small bugs are accepted. The questions involve typical strings, BFS and coding skill (to solve a problem, no algorithm involved.).

Interview Question – Just in the final interview, the interviewer give me a question that he made 2 days ago. He said there is no best answer, but I told him that the question could be solved by BFS.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Algorithm and design a ranking system

Interview Question – Design a ping-pong ranking system   View Answers (5)

San Bruno, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – 4 rounds technical interviews plus lunch.
They are very nice and almost agree with you on everything. When your write the code on the board they always say "great", "perfect"... I think this is the trap. They make me less nervous which is great but I also started thinking that the problems are not hard and I can definitely get the job. Here is when things goes wrong.

Interview Question – How to protect data when you transfer it online. e.g. You need to submit your username and password from your client to the server and there is people who is listening to the information.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter got in touch with me in Dec 2013. Interview scheduled for Feb 2014.

Interview Question – The question was on n-ary tree data stream. Not unexpected, but there was a misunderstanding between myself and the interviewer. The question is to find the head of the tree given a data stream of key value pairs.   View Answer