Google

1,188 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,188 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Contacted HR, got scheduled three phone interview back to back two days before Christmas.

In all of the interviews, they introduced themselves briefly, and started asking technical questions. There were 2 questions per interview, and some followups in-situ. Due to NDA, I will not share the details. But they covered a lot topics with 3 interviews, binary search, array, time complexity, recursion, tree, etc. You have to prepare many topics if you want to get pass google interview.

Interviewers were helpful in general, and very patient.

Still waiting for the result of phone interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

two 45-mins interviews. the interviewer was late for 15 mins, and asked questions here and there. Some questions were rephrased multiple times, so it was difficult for me to follow. Those algorithmic questions were very easy to give brute force solutions, but I needed to give more than one solutions. The difficult part was I didn't know in which direction I should think.

Interview Questions
    • how do you select words randomly and proportionally from a word list? Another question was that there was a class defined as "final", what will happen if I instantiate this class?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I aplied online, after two weeks I received an email to schedule a screening phone interview. It lasted 20 mins. The recruiter described the position and asked questions about my technical background. I am waiting for technical interview.

Software Engineer Interview

One 45 minute phone interview and five 45 minute on-site interviews until I got the informal offer (more "approval"). Then three team fit calls and many other various phone calls before I got the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

I applied online first, but no response in one month. Then I asked one of my friends to refer me and I got response in 3 days.

There are 3 technical interviews. I feel so lucky that each interviewer starts with an easy question. And I complete these easy ones within 30 min. After such warm-up questions, each interviewer threw me another one which is as difficult as the medium questions on LeetCode. But they did not expect me to implement them in detail, rather they wanted me to explain the idea so that they can see how I approach to the problem. I was totally lost in one of these problems, and work out the pseudo-code solution on the rest.

I just finish the interview and have no idea how it went actually, but I feel it is normal not scary at all. Hope I can hear good news from them later.

Interview Questions
    • I signed NDA so I cannot go to details of each question. But one is about 2D matrix, two are about String operations.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

I've applied online and met a recruiter at a university event.
    I'm an Electrical Engineering student that is interested in working as a software engineer. I didn't take any classes in my program to serve that purpose, therefor I self-educated myself. I bought books, did online classes, and took few CS additional classes at my university. With that said, I had to focus a lot on learning what any CS student must know, and I did that, but that didn't make me a perfect candidate yet. In my first phone interview, the only one I had, I managed to answer almost all of the questions. However, I found out that I lacked the ability to be a great user of the Java API and abilities when coding solutions. For example, I chose an array as my data structure for the solution, where maybe if I chose a linked list, I would have shown that I'm a stronger programmer.

They called me 3 days after my phone interview notifying me that I was not chosen for the second on-site interview. However, the recruiter told me they were impressed by my resume, my analytic skills, and my knowledge in general. He said I need to practice coding more and I will be a great fit. He told me that he'll contact me again at the end of the year and set another interview without me even asking for it. So my advice would be this: Build a very strong knowledge of your preferred programming language. You have to show that you can utilize it the best way possible.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to sort an array of integers where all zeros come in front, the rest come later. After successfully solving it, the interviewer started making hard bit by bit. What if we want the 7s? What if we want prime numbers? What... Finally he asked me what if we were dealing with objects instead of integers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

I got two phone interviews and 4 onsite interviews. The questions were basic algorithm questions and the onsite questions were way more difficult than phone questions. Signed the form so I can't provide questions been asked. Still waiting for the response because I have just finished the onsite.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

Got onsite interviews with 6 interviews, 45 mins each back to back. Had an hour lunch time with a 1-yr employee there who shared her experience working there and showing me the result she works on. The interviews themselves were all technical on whiteboard, not much of asking questions about your experience and ask what you like to do. It's all about showing off your technical skill and thought process.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were standard CS related topics such as graph, algorithms (BFS,DFS, traveling salesman variation kind of question),system design (which is really an open ended interview).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

One phone interview. Asked questions about linkedlist and string. The first one was pretty easy. The first part of the second problem (a step stone) was also easy, but the last part (DP problem) was much harder. Because of the gap in difficulty, i kind of under estimated the last one, and tried to solve it with simple recursion, although I knew DP may be a better solution, but didn't got time to improve my answer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

Was referred by a Google employee. Heard back from a recruiter the next day about my information being forwarded to a recruiter. Recruiter contacted me 2 days later to schedule 3 technical interviews a month later. I had the three 45 minute technical interviews back to back. The interviews were (probably by chance) in increasing order of difficulty. I didn't feel to confident with my interviews, and I heard back the next day that they would not be moving forward with my application.

Interview Questions
    • Due to NDA I will not discuss these, but know your data structures and practice talking through a problem.   Answer Question