Google Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014

3.5

908 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Was contacted by a recruiter before graduation. Had a phone interview which went well and was then brought on site. I regret that this was my first on-site interview, and I wasn't as prepared as I needed to be. The technical questions were very hard - harder than the other companies I've subsequently interviewed at - and I wasn't able to give satisfactory answers to several.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter, waited several weeks, passed a technical phone screen, waited several weeks, had an on-site interview with 5 technical sessions and an informal lunch in the cafeteria. After another week I was called with my results. Interviews ranged from a thought provoking discussion of "What features and issues would you watch for if you implemented [a given mobile app]?" to processing streams of ints and traversing tree structures efficiently.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would design a fully automated continuous build/test/configure/deploy system for arbitrary applications and software packages. Feel free to dive into any piece of this problem that is of interest to you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2012.

I had my interview in late 2012. The first round was a 45 minutes phone interview. Then I was brought onsite to meet 5 interviewers. The questions consist of whiteboard coding, algorithms and design questions. The interviewers are all nice and professional. Some people care about bug-free coding. Got my offer about one week later.

Interview Questions
    • some algorithm questions can be very hard, due to NDA I won't be able to share.   View Answer
    I had offers from other companies (fb). Google beat their offers.

Software Engineer Interview

2 Phone interview, 45 min for each. Using google doc to type codes. Most questions are coding problems. Not hard, but need to be careful not to make silly mistakes. After that it tooks very long to tell me the final result

Interview Questions
    • in order traversal of a binary tree,
      next element in inorder traversal
        View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I got an email from the recruiter within 45 minutes of submitting an application, but the whole process of the interview took nearly a month. The first interview was a phone interview, which wasn't too tricky. The interviewer was very kind and help with any questions I had. After passing the phone interview I moved to an onsite interview. I had a series of 4 interviews. None of the questions I got asked where too challenging, but all of the interviewers pressed me for more or to expand on what I had after I had worked out a problem. All but one of the interviews were kind and helped me with any questions, but the last one was tight lipped throughout the interview, and just expected me to figure it all out and write it on the board.

Interview Questions
    • The one that tripped me up asked me to write code to return all words in a dictionary that can be formed from a string of numbers (e.g. 34556), where the numbers map the same why they do on a phone (e.g. 1->A, B, or C).   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Going for first technical this Monday! Applied online a long time ago, more then a few months ago but less then a year? maybe. So the first phone call was a basic screening, see if your a candidate for the process, you set a date and your left to study for that, which I am currently doing. Will keep this upto date.

Interview Questions
    • Study, Study, Study. I'm reading Gayle Laakmann McDowell's Cracking the Coding Interview 5th edition to prep.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Google.

I initiated the process by responding to an email message from a sourcer and was handed off to a recruiting coordinator. I spoke several times with the recruiting coordinator, who was my primary contact point throughout the proces. After an intial phone screen, I was invited onsite to speak with 5 engineers (with a break for lunch mid-day).

Folowing the interviews, I received a tentative "not officially an offer" congradulatory call at which point we discussed teams that would be a good match for my skill set. Once one was selected, I received a formal offer, which I had 5 business days to accept.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Google.

Applied online.
    Screened with two phone interviews each an hour long. Extremely technical.
    Then I had to wait until second round for a hiring manager to be interested in my profile.
    Had another interview with hiring manager. It was technical but less formal than the screen. More like telling him about some stuff that I had done in previous jobs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

My resume was referred by a current employee. I got a call from a recruiter a couple weeks later and had a 10 minute conversation with her about the whole process, bit on my background, and what I'm looking for. She sent me an email with all of the content that is considered fair game for an interview. I asked for a month to study before the phone interview.

The phone interview was 45 minutes, with maybe 35 of it being technical questions and coding in a Google Doc. The recruiter called me later that day saying they wanted to bring me in for on-site interviews. I asked for them to be scheduled as soon as possible (already been studying, didn't want to forget anything). The on-site interviews were scheduled for almost 3 weeks later.

My round of interviews on-site wasn't as smooth as the recruiter claims they usually are. I was taken to a small conference that was to be my "home" for the day and the recruiter wrote the schedule of who and when on the white board. The first guy that showed up was not the one listed. Second guy was 15 minutes late. Last guy of the day turned out to be working at home and they had to substitute on the fly (15 minute delay again). Not really a big deal, but I think worth noting.

The interviews themselves were 45 minutes each, again about 35 - 40 minutes of which were technical questions and coding on the white board. All questions fell within the review content suggested by the email. One interview was more of a design/approach interview and np-complete did come up once. In general the questions were designed to be challenging, but solvable in the time-frame.

To study, I read Wikipedia pages and took notes for the topics mentioned in the email. I used a couple other materials for design and integration patterns. This worked as sufficient review for me.

My final comment is regarding how I think they determine level. I was out of undergrad for four years when I interviewed. My experience in the field is longer than that. The recruiter said for their purposes my level was "four years", which I think worked in my favor because they expected less.

Interview Questions
    • The design/approach interview was the hardest simply because it's far more open ended.   View Answer
    I chose not to negotiate as the offer was more than acceptable for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Applied online. New grad. Had a phone interview about a week later for LA Google. The interviewer is very nice. It is a 45 minutes phone call. First of all, the interviewer introduced himself and his team a little bit and so did I. Then some basic technique questions such as TCP vs UDP, stack vs queue. At last, a programming question. Nice experience. I think I failed because of bad English and not very well prepared.