Google Software Engineer Interview Questions

1,279 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,279 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in March 2015.

Interview

I was referred by a contact at Google and went directly to an onsite interview. First came a tour around the building and then the coding interviews. An interview took 45 minutes and there was no break between them. I had three coding interviews in the morning, followed by lunch with an employee who was not one of my interviewers, and finally the last coding interview. Three of my interviewers went directly towards coding questions. There were two in my interviews with them. The other interviewer asked questions about my resume so we only had time for one coding question.

Interview Questions

• Implement the stack structure and its functions (push, pop, empty)   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google in March 2015.

Interview

I applied by employee reference. And then I waited for a month until someone contact me by email. Then we scheduled times for three phone interviews in one day, and each of them takes 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Read n by read 4. Calendar. Check whether any number in a sorted array is majority number.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in March 2015.

Interview

Firstly there are 2 rounds of phone interview and then onsite. The entire process took about 4 weeks of time. The questions are based on real life examples. It was not very difficult but they expect a perfect code.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Back in December a recruiter contacted me through email (it was first sent to my college email's spam folder) and I scheduled the phone interview extremely later to prepare for the possible questions.

A Googler from Mountain View contacted me and we went over 3 different questions. The first question I knew how to do since I completed it a week before the interview and I told the interviewer. I briefly ran through my logic and we went forward to the next question (without writing any codes). The second question consisted of tree traversal (simple question) and the third question consisted of a little bit more input and thought. I was not able to directly answer it and asked numerous questions to get a better scope of the problem. In the end, I was able to write the program on Google Docs.

A week later I was contacted for an onsite interview, which I have in a few days.

I put "No" for did you get an offer because I have yet to do the on-site interview.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interviews started at 9:45 AM and ended at 2:00 PM

1. Technique interview
         a long hair guy started with a technique question immediately

2. Technique interview
         the interviewer started from introducing the project he is working on in google and followed by a technique question

3. Technique interview
         2 technique questions. The first one is easy while the second is not.
    4. Lunch

5. Technique interview
        A tall, blonde hair beauty asked me one technical questions.

I managed to write the code for all the questions asked first by the interviewer. Then I was stuck at the questions where the interviewer asked me to improve time complexity. I think it's important to solve it with an efficient solution, not just a working one, for google.

Interview Questions

• 1. find k numbers which sum to n. ( I think the interviewer wanted to ask me to optimize the solution but we ran out of time)

2. find a path from source to target in a tree where each node can have arbitrary number of children.
      (follow up: how to do this in sub O(n) time and linear space given that you can store the reachability in each node)

3.OOP: add urls and find the median
      (follow up: do it in O(logn))

4. decide if there is a cycle in a graph

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in March 2015.

Interview

I had 3 phone interviews which were completely about coding. In each of these interviews, I have answered one question. my solutions for the first and the last questions were almost correct the second one was horrible, I was not able to understand the interviewer's accent.

Interview Questions

• I am not allowed to share the interviews' questions but they require understanding of dynamic programming, BFS/DFS, and HashTable.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First talked with a Google recruiter about the position. Then the recruiter forwarded my resume to the office where the job was. A week later I had a phone interview with an engineer that asked me a few questions about my job, then asked a technical question and had to code in a word document. I answered all the questions correctly but was not offered a job and was told they wanted more experience.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

45-minute technical phone screen followed by four 45-minute onsite technical interviews. All of these interspersed with conversations with the recruiter.

Everything was based on solving "academic" (algorithms & data structures) technical questions, (except for one guy, who asked an in-depth scenario question). The questions were not at all easy but pretty fair.

Interview Questions

• Given a binary tree, write a function that returns the length of the longest path (from any node to any node) in the tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Google in March 2015.

Interview

Everyone in my university was called for interview by Google. First HR round was basic interview asking my general skills and about my resume. Then, I was scheduled for a technical phone interview and there was only one question asked which I felt was really tough. I need to write efficient algorithm as well.

Interview Questions

• There are a set of dictionary words and a set of license plate numbers. Write a code/algorithm to find the shortest dictionary word which contains all the characters in the license plate, irrespective of the order of characters.

Ex: RC101 is the license plate number. The shortest word that can be found in the dictionary is CAR which has characters 'R' and 'C' in the license plate.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google.

Interview

I prepared by reading many parts of Skienna’s algorithm design manual, and watching MIT algorithm lectures. I was already good at algorithms considering my previous class performances so I was just brushing up my knowledge. I spent particular attention to Graph theory following the advice of steve-yegge Blog post on the same topic. Solved as many algorithm problems as I could (I would say I spent a total of 30 hours preparing before my interview over one month), especially graphs because I figured graphs were important at google and if I could dazzle them with my ability to do graph problems then I was in.

The day started gray to begin with and went downhill from there. The recruiter got there 15 minutes later than our meeting time and meanwhile I went from being mildly nervous to almost hysteric. When we met the first interviewer who was visibly annoyed because of the delay (or maybe that was just my perception), the recruiter blamed me for being late. That’s right. I was so shocked, it took me some seconds to actually figure out he really was saying this and after that I didn’t know what to do to make it right (pathetic, I know).

I had five interviews back to back and one additional lunch interview in between. During my first interview it was as if I had a block in place of my brain, I must have asked the poor engineer 10 times to explain the question to me. It was as if he was talking gibberish. I could not focus, I was too nervous and pissed off at the recruiter. Needless to say, I could not write even one single line of code, mainly I stared at the whiteboard. I still don’t remember what the question was actually. I was so embarrassed.

No algorithm question was ever asked. Yes, you heard it right. Not even something involving binary tree or search; nothing. There was one design question and three coding question.

In short, there were things that were under my control. I didn’t do any whiteboard coding (big mistake) and didn’t have time for mock up interviews (another big mistakes). Given all that happened at the beginning to unhinged me (I am skipping something else that happened on the morning of the interview), had I practiced solving questions on the whiteboard and had I done mock up interviews I should have been able to handle it beautifully. The engineers who did the interviews, were all so nice and smart. The recruiters, oh well.