Google Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014

3.5

958 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Google is remarkably quick at getting back to applicants when applying through directly on Google's employment opportunities page. I received an email two days after submitting my resume and was asked to schedule two back to back 45 minute interviews the following week. Each interview was technical in nature and I was asked to solve two coding questions by typing code into a shared Google document with my interviewer. After asking questions and coding my solutions, the interviewer and I went over my solution and discussed aspects of it such as the running time, security and readability of the code. I did not get past the first round but was pleased by the swiftness of the process.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Day 0 — I apply to seven different Software Engineer positions in the Bay Area simultaneously via their website.
    Day 0 — 38 minutes later, I receive an email from a Recruiter (call him R1), who's also an Engineering Manager (?). He asks when we can talk over the phone about "matching me up with the right opportunities at Google." I send a timestamp back.
    Day 2 — Phone call with R1, about ten minutes. He asks to tell him about myself, what my background is, what I'm interested in, why I want to work for Google, etc. He ends by telling me we'll set up a phone interview, which I intentionally schedule for a couple weeks later. (R1 asks me to choose a programming language for the interview, and mentions that he'll be sending me a syllabus to prepare.) Recruiting Coordinator 1 (RC1) emails me the details of the phone interview, which we confirm.
    Day 9 — Still no syllabus. I email R1. He sends me a verbatim excerpt from the Steve Yegge blog post you've already read.
    Day 15 — Phone interview day. 25 minutes into the schedule time slot, no call. I email RC1. Auto-reply: that account no longer exists. Great. I wait a bit longer. I give R1 a call; no answer, leave a voicemail. He replies within the hour, says he's sorry, asks for availability to reschedule. I reply.
    Day 23 — Phone interview finally rescheduled for day 28, by new Recruiting Coordinator (RC2).
    Day 28 — Phone interview, take two. Interviewer (a Software Engineer) asks me a little about myself, then moves on to the questions (I won't go into details, due to the NDA). About twenty minutes of basic Q&A about my language of choice (nothing remotely advanced). Then he asks me to describe (just out loud) the 'find' method of a common data structure. Then he modifies the problem definition slightly, and asks me how I would change the 'find' method. This seems fairly straightforward to me. He asks me to implement it in Java in a shared Google Doc. I do. I step through it with some examples. That's about it. I hang up: I think I nailed it.
    Day 36 — I email RC2 to check for any feedback. She defers to R1, who within minutes invites me on site to interview. I send my availabilities. I receive confirmation of my interview from RC2. I confirm, and send back two filled out forms (application + NDA; travel form).
    Day 37 — I make my travel arrangements through their travel agency. They pay for my flight, lodging for the night before and night after, rental car for the duration, transportation to the airport, and food for the duration. (I easily add two more days at my own expense.)
    Day 37 — R1 emails me to tell me he's leaving Google. R1 introduces R2 (not an engineer, this one).
    Day 38 — R2 emails introductions and asks when we can talk by phone.
    Day 42 — Introductory email from RC3, with two documents which are, again, verbatim excerpts of Steve Yegge's famous blog article.
    Day 43 — Phone call with R2, describes the on-site interview; nothing I didn't already know, except (fairly useless) one-line bios of my four interviewers. Eventually I start wondering why I'm seeing and hearing "Google/YouTube" when it used to be "Google," so I ask. I find out I'm apparently applying for YouTube now and no one bothered to tell me. R2 also tells me she won't be able to make it to greet me on the day of my interviews, so R3 (also not an engineer) will be replacing her.
    Day 54 — On-site interviews. I show up to the wrong lobby, having assumed there was only one. (Pro-tip: check your email from the Recruiting Coordinator for the exact building and address.) Luckily, I was early enough to make it to the right building on time. Interview, interview, lunch, interview, interview. No breaks at all between interviews. Interviewers either give you a blank expression with no feedback as you talk or else hold your hand all the way to the solution. No middle ground. Half the interviewers didn't seem to want to be there. Thought I did kind of okayish in three, badly in one. Very hard to tell over all, but I was pretty sure I wasn't getting an offer.
    Day 57 — Within three minutes of each other, emails from both R2 and R3, asking to talk over the phone. I sort out the disorganization, get a call from R3, and am informed I will not be moving on. The only feedback I can get is that my "coding" is lacking, which doesn't make much sense to me.
    Day 58 — On to other companies.
    (Day 73 — Still no reimbursement of expenses...)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Received email for interview & scheduled a interview date. The employer was very precise & called the date of the interview at the scheduled time slot. However during the interview when a question was being asked the interviewer gave very little time to answer or even think about the question or answer. The interviewer basically rushed me through the 2 questions. The interviewer also, didn't give me any feedback as to how the interview went or what else I need to work and practice more concepts on.

Interview Questions
    • Answering the questions correctly within a timely order.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Google in August 2014.

Recruiter was very helpful, but the whole process can take a few weeks. Usually 4-5 technical interviews about algorithms and data structures. Each one gave a problem with a specific question but it develops several concepts. Be sure to think outloud and start from something simpler if you are stuck. Pretend the interviewer is your colleague. Spend some time beforehand practicing code on a site like hackerrank.com so that you are comfortable writing code on command.

Interview Questions
    • One of the reviewers was a bit cocky. Stay calm in situations like that, ignore whatever is bothering you, and just address the question at hand.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Couple of emails exchanged with the HR, followed by the phone interview with a software engineer. Did not make it through the first round, should have prepared better. The wiggle problem, given an array of integers arrange them such that alternate elements are large and small.(2,5,3,6,...)

Interview Questions
    • The wiggle problem, given an array of integers arrange them such that alternate elements are large and small.(2,5,3,6,...)   View Answers (4)

Software Engineer Interview

I was emailed about an opportunity to work at Google. The email asked me to set up a phone interview where they asked about my interests and background. They they set up another phone interview, this time a technical one. The technical interview involved coding and asking the interviewer questions about his role at Google. After the first interview, I received another phone call from my recruiter. My recruiter said I needed one more technical phone interview before an on-site interview, so we scheduled one. The second interview was similar to the first.

Interview Questions
    • Write code to determine if a given input string contains balanced parentheses.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

Applied online and received an e-mail for a phone interview. I received some links and documents on how to prepare for the interview which are already in other reviews on glassdoor. The interviewer asked a programming question (to write a code for a simple game) which required the appropriate use of classes. The phone interview lasted around 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Going through the thought process aloud was quite difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

A representative from Google came to our schools ACM club, and that is when I gave my resume to Google. About 4 months later, seemingly out of the blue, I got a call from a recruiter asking if I was interested in interviewing with them. We set up another call to get to know me better. During the call, we talked about the technical interviews that would be coming and what to expect.

My

Interview Questions
    • After a fairly standard question (took about 7 minutes to code up) the interviewer went VERY in depth with how I would test the code to make sure it worked.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview was easy. Technical questions are no harder than the average company, but they really talk up their interview process to the candidates before the interview. Sent an email with "tips" that was longer than 1000 words

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Google.

1st Phase: Phone interview and coding is done on google doc. You say what language you are comfortable with and they pair you with a google developer who is knowledgeable in that language.