Google Software Engineer Interview Questions

1,237 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,237 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

The response was fast but the question was hard. The interviewer was very nice. He walked me through the process and nicely explained the solution to me. The time interval of the interview is exactly it is. If the HR told you that it would be a 50min interview, it would be a 50min interview. Thus, time management is very important.

Interview Questions
  • Given two array, construct three arrays, two of them contains the unique item, one of them contains the common item   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Google recruited from my college so it wasn't too hard to get an interview. There were two coding interviews (by phone and Google Docs) which went over basic data structures and algorithms. The interviewers were polite and very willing to talk about their work. I messed up on some of the questions, but it was overall a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • There was a problem about data structures that was rather difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Search opening positions on Linkedin. Applied on Google's website. Got an opportunity of three phone interview after one week. Took these three phone interviews after another three weeks.

These three interviews have different styles. Some likes some high level questions followed with some design problems. Others like coding and algorithm design from the beginning to the end.

Interview Questions
    • Signed NDA. Some basic algorithm questions and two high level questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Three 45 minutes interview. In all interviews I was asked to solve coding problem. Whenever you solve one, they give you another one , based on the previous one. Then they ask you about time complexity and how to improve the running time.

Interview Questions
    • Constructing Trees and other problems solved by Divide and Conquer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Applied online and had to solve some online coding assessments. Couple of days later got an e-mail from the HR and arranged a technical phone interview with one of the engineers. They also prepared some docs and info on what to prepare for the interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Referred by classmates, got 3 round technical phone interviews, coding on Google docs, general technical interview question including map, hashing, memory efficient array, missing range, dynamic programming, streaming data average and so on. Not too difficult and some of them are interesting.
    Results came two weeks after the interview process finished. Bad luck!

Interview Questions
    • map, hashing, memory efficient array, missing range, dynamic programming, streaming data average and so on   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

2 Phone interviews
    4 Onsite interviews

Beginning the process you will receive an email from the recruiter, and you will continue talking with them withing the entire process. They also give you some hints for preparing for the interview.

All the inverviews were focused on algorythms, each one really different and sometimes ticky and funny. You need to be open-minded to catch the trick and get in depht with the problem.

Really awesome experience.

Interview Questions
    • NDA protects to get in details but all questions have its own difficulty. Without algorythm's knowledge, anyone would become stuck.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. They told me they researched my profile on GitHub an LinkedIn and were interested in discussing job opportunities. A lot of my peers were also contacted. The job would have been in their Mountain View HQ. The interview was fair, however the quality of the phone connection was rather poor and I had to ask the interviewer to repeat himself many times and I think it did get on his nerves, but only for a few second after which he calmed down again. My performance was in need of improvement and their decision not to pursue further was understandable.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Three 50 minutes technical phone interviews in total.Two of them spend about 15 minutes talk about my project experience, and move to code. One of them directly let me do the coding.

Interview Questions
    • define a tree, how to check whether a n-ary tree is unival tree (the value in each node is same). How to get how many unival tree in a n-ary tree   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

I applied online, and a recruiter got back to me very promptly. There were two rounds of phone interviews and one hectic day of on-site interviews (I interviewed on site with three other companies, but this was by far the most gruelling experience) at their headquarters in Mountain View. There were five interviews (excluding the lunch) in the on-site process: four algorithmic/coding interviews, and one interview about my research interests. After interviewer feedback, my packet went to the hiring committee and was finally approved by the executive management committee. All told, the process took just under three months.

While Google has a very simple, smooth and responsive application process that belies their current size, the interview process itself shows just how big the company has become. While the recruiter was very prompt in reaching out to me in the beginning, they were pretty slack in responding to my further follow-ups. In fact, I'm certain that I got done in less than three months only because I had a couple of counter-offers, and otherwise I could have gone through this process for a few more months. On top of this, there was absolutely no one from recruiting or HR to show me around the campus or to walk me to the exit after the end of the day during my on-site visit. As a result, the experience felt slightly impersonal.

Interview Questions
    • I signed an NDA, so cannot disclose the exact questions. Prepare your algorithms and data structures questions well, and actually implement them. Websites like careercup and leetcode are valuable resources to prepare. Focus on binary trees, hash tables and dynamic programming questions. Lastly, don't be afraid to go with your gut, sometimes you may end up implementing a solution that might be better than what your interviewer had in mind!   Answer Question