Google Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 31, 2014

3.5

980 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Applied online, a few weeks later a recruiter emailed me to set up phone interviews. Two back to back phone interviews with coding through a google doc. One was with a software developer and one with a manager. Decision took another few weeks before it came back.

Interview Questions
  • Basic data structures questions and sorting algorithms   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Applied online without referral. Recruiter reached out to me. I filled a questionnaire to indicate my interests. Got two phone interviews. They were not very hard. After the phone interviews, you learn in a few days if you have passed. Then, you are in a pool and wait for someone to be interested in you. If you know people at the company, definitely let them know so that they can inform their friends that you are looking for an intern host. If someone is interested, a host interview is set-up. This is usually non-technical and only to see if you are interested in the project. If no one comes up after some time, they defer your application to next internship season. Next time, you directly enter the pool without any additional interviews.

Recruiter is also a key person. Sometimes, they look out for you, sometimes they don't care.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Typical questions that you can find in "Cracking the coding interview" or "Programming interviews exposed".   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Through website, set up phone interview. During phone interview, had basic questions about previous projects and then had to code in a google doc. If you review the material they give you going in and have a quick mind, you should do fine. If you haven't covered at least have of it though, you probably will have to reapply whenever you have learned it.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot reveal because I signed a confidentiality statement.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Online coding exam. Not too hard if you know what you're doing. People were very friendly and allow you to take your time. After exam, if the out come is good, they would invite you over for second interview

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Referred by an employee in MTV. HR called me soon, and scheduled two 45-miniute online interviews for me. The HR was very nice, for I was in Beijing and applied for an internship in MTV that time, in order to help me perform well in the interview, she scheduled the engineers from Canada to interview me, that helped me a lot, because the time zone of Canada office was better for me to take the interview on form.
    The interviews went well, and the interviewers were nice and patient. The coding problems they asked were mainly about algorithm and data structure, and some of my project experiences were asked in detail two.
    I think the most challenging thing in the interviews was that I should describe my thought in English to the interviewers, it is very important to have a good communication with interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions particularly difficult, but what I did not expect was that the second interviewer asked me a problem of segment tree.   Answer Question

I was matched to a test post, but I did not like it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in August 2014.

5 in-house technical interviews. 4 algo/coding and 1 design.

- strtok implementation
    - given set of characters duplicates possible, and given dictionary (list of words). Find longest word from dictionary that can be made from given characters. How will you do it if '*' (matches one wild character) is also included?
    - Access card system design
    - Implement a stack with find_min api as well.
    - Given set of points, find line with max points on it.
    - utf-8 byte stream verification and character extraction.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part is judging what interviewers want who don't talk that much and just keep on scrribling stuff down.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google in September 2014.

HR staff calls you to talk about your interest in the job, your location preference, and the interviewing process. They schedule for you a phone screen interview. The phone screen is a 45 minute technical interview: you code with the interviewer in a Google Doc. If you pass the phone screen (or two), you're invited to on-campus interviews. On-campus interview takes all day: 4 or 5 technical interviews of 45 minutes each, plus one hour lunch with an engineer. Each technical interview you are talking to one engineer, solving technical problems by describing algorithms and coding on the white board. Interviewers want to see how you think and code. They don't ask about your past experience or education.

Your interviews submit their reviews to a hiring committee, which makes the decision whether to make an offer. It takes about two weeks for the HR staff to call you back to let you know if you got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to come up with an algorithm for a problem that I was unfamiliar with and did not know the parameters of.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

The interview was an phone interview, mostly technical and lots about previous projects which i have done, and also work flow of projects, technical questions were also mostly.. Most of the questions are logical thinking and puzzles

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google.

First step was to submit an application through Google's online system, which included a resume and (optional) cover letter. I was contacted by a recruiter within 3 days (including the weekend) and set up an interview for 2 weeks from that date. It was two back to back technical phone interviews. The interviewers let you choose what language you wish to demonstrate your knowledge in. I chose Java for both.

My first interviewer was great. He introduced himself and throughout the interview, was very proactive on trying to guide me through a difficult part of the problem or hinted if he wanted more to the solution. I had to constantly verbalize my thought process, as it was a phone interview, so he mainly responded to that.

My second interviewer was not so great. He was 10 minutes late and seemed like he didn't want to help at all. Even after his "explanation" of the problem, including a confusion-inducing analogy, I was still a bit uncertain about the problem, so I just went with what I thought was right. It ended up being mostly correct until he literally started to yell at me over the phone for the last line, which was parsing an object to an int, then back to an object when there was another method that did what I was trying to do already (which he didn't explain, so I didn't know what it was, go figure). He seemed to not be paying attention at all, as there were multiple times where I asked a question, only to be answered with silence.

After that, I received a follow up email from the recruiter, stating I would know the results in a week or so. I ended up not getting the position (most likely due to that second interviewer), but am not deterred from applying again. I will admit my Java was definitely not up to par, considering that wasn't the dominant language I programmed in for the past half year and only really "studied" for two weeks before the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

Submit a resume, after submission IF selected you then have to take a survey to let them know a little bit more about yourself and complete a coding exam. After coding exam no results are shown however you're contacted in roughly a week as to whether or not you'll have an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • The coding exam. Be prepared for anything. Two questions in an hour isn't the easiest. The first is easy but the second is far more challenging.   View Answer