Google Software Engineer Interview Questions

1,392 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,392 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Typical INterview. Looked like a good place to work, but I didn't think it was the best company considering my plans for the future. Felt like a fairly welcoming environment.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in May 2015.

Interview

HR phone screen followed by phone interview with shared screen coding. Had1 hour to use up and was warned that once the hour was up the call would be closed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Several initial phone screen calls, followed by an invitation to come for a full-day onsite. I was also asked to submit several online questionnaires that targeted comp details, references, and current role and position. This is my first time applying for a position and I have heard from many past applicants that Google does not typically hire folks who have applied for the first time. I am still in the interview process - awaiting an onsite interview.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The phone screen was pretty straight-forward. I was asked 2 coding problems and the interview lasted 45 minutes. The onsite interview was pretty tough. I was asked tough but very interesting problems especially the coding problems. The remaining interviews were about design and past projects. Overall a good experience. Definitely prepare well for interviews!

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who told me the hiring manager liked my resume. She then setup a technical phone interview. For that interview, I was contacted an hour ahead of the scheduled time. I asked my interviewer if he could give me 5 minutes to get ready, but he said it was alright and would call me an hour later. He called and mentioned his name and that he was from Google. Then he copy-pasted a problem into Google Docs and asked for a solution. So yes, no introductions about himself or about me. I guess they don't care until you go onsite as a "potential" candidate. I asked a couple of questions to make sure I understood the problem. Afterwards, I wrote a recursive DFS solution. The interviewer said my solution was fine and that he had no more problems for me. I asked him some questions about the job role, but all I got was vague/cryptic answers. Very weird? Overall, the experience is negative/neutral. My recruiter was AWESOME! (Keep in mind that Google recruiters are different from those who schedule your interview.) Very nice and well spoken. She also articulated to the best of her abilities the role I was applying for without getting into a lot of the details because of confidentiality. Unfortunately, my phone interviewer was a dud. I guess interviewing with Google matters much about the coding skills you have as well as the luck of the draw on who interviews you. Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• Similar to this: Given an NxN grid of 0s, 1s, and 2s, find out whether 1s or 2s is surrounded starting at (i,j). Being surrounded means that 1s is surrounded by 2s or that 2s is surrounded by 1s.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was extremely varied in terms of how long it took to hear back after each step. It ranged between 2 days and 2 weeks. I also got passed around between a lot of recruiters. After my onsite, I was asked to follow up with a second onsite, witch was supposedly so they could ask me questions they thought would be more suited toward my role. Then, it took a full week after that second on-site to finally get my rejection, which came by phone for some unknown reason. (Just reject people by email, it's easier for everyone!) I thought that the second round of on-site interviews actually went better than the first. This begs the question as to what exactly I could have done to get the offer on those second round of interviews. Why were they necessary? Google says they just look for good generalist programmers. This would seem to be called into question by this process. To sum it up, people are generally nice, but the process seems irrational and unnecessarily long. I can't help but feel like they willfully wasted a lot of my time.

Interview Questions

• Mostly classic computer science (cracking the coding interview) types of questions with some added twist to make them harder.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Google.

Interview

I got this interview pretty early, about early October. Two 45-minutes interview, the questions are basic, but I failed I made the question complicated. Of course there was also some project questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by a recruiter who set up three back-to-back phone interviews. I basically answered every single question. Needed a slight push a couple of times, but a slight push was always sufficient. Then a couple of days later I received a devastating rejected letter. Is it possible that it's just too late in the recruiting process so they don't have many interview positions left, or did I simply not do as well in the interviews as I thought?

Interview Questions

• Signed a non-disclosure agreement, but the topics were algorithms and data structures. You can be extremely well prepared by looking at the questions posted on Glassdoor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Got first phone interview after submitting my resume 3 weeks earlier, the person who interviewed me asked two technical questions, first one was focus on probability calculation, and the other was combination of digits.

Interview Questions

• Calculate the combination of three digits number consisting of 0-9, and no duplicate is allowed.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Interview

Three rounds of technical interviews, no behavior questions. The attitude of the recruiter is really friendly. First round hardest, then gradually each round gets better. Back to back. First round asks a probability and derivative related math question, and a regular expression match. Second round is pthread, and array operations. Third round is the easiest IMO, just quite normal OJ type hash question.