Google

28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in November 2013
HR got in touch in March 2014
First phone interview in April 2014
Second in May 2014
5 On-site interviews in July 2014

HR was super nice.
One out of the 5 on-site interviewers was super unfriendly (and just came out of the shower w/ wet hair). She presented a graph problem which I considered my speciality. It had one tweak which she explained very badly. I asked her to reexplain the tweak twice. Then I was like "I understood it that way. So I'd do it this way. What do you think?". She then told me to "just implement it". I implemented it very fast. In the meantime, she read my CV. When I concluded, she looked at the code (which was probably 15-20 LoC). She then noticed that the way I handled the tweak was different to what she said. So she was like: "I told you to do it that way. What did you do there?". While I felt a little offended because if she had put a little more effort in explaining it I would have gotten it right away. Her version would have been even easier to implement.

Interview Question – Cannot disclose   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details – A classic Google process - two phone interviews, then five 1:1 on-site interviews.

The hiring process is well documented and you know what to expect. A few personal tips :

- Think loud. Brainstorm.
- Don't overcomplicate your solutions. It's better to have working O(N^2) than buggy O(N log N). You can describe the better solution during the discussion later.
- If you don't see the solution, try to write down a few examples or corner cases. You can observe the solutions from these.
- Although it's more than recommended to know a wide range of algorithms or data structures, you'll rarely use these during the actual coding. Arrays, conditions and cycles are usually enough.
- Practice. TopCoder, CodefForces, HackerRank, Codechef... These are the tasks you should expect.
- Be positive. You've got nothing to lose.

Interview Question – All questions were from the expected area.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I was firstly contacted by a recruiter via linkedin. I answered that I am interested in the job, so a first phone conversation was arranged with the recruiter. We discussed some stuff including where I would prefer to go, how to prepare for the interview etc. The recruiter shared a list of books to help me prepare. A phone screening was arranged for a week later. They shared a google doc with me and asked me to write some code there. There were two questions, both simple and easy but examined in great depth. I was asked to give detailed explanations of all test cases and possible failures, time and space complexity.

Interview Question – Questions were fairly easy but required a fair amount of general knowledge to answer all the questions around them.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – I uploaded my CV in the jobs section and I was contacted by a recruiter few days later. He scheduled a phone called after a week about general info on my CV and what I studied at university, lasted 15min. Then he scheduled the technical phone call two weeks later.

After two days the recruiter called me to say that I passed the interview and I flew to London a month later.
There I had the usual 4 interviews.
The questions were quite tough and it is difficult to say if my answer were good cause the interviewers always nod and smile which is good cause it relaxes but it doesn't give a feedback.

The recruiter called me few days later and told me that my results in programming weren't good enough.

Overall it was an amazing experience, everyone was very kind and gentle, google payed the flight and the hotel (4stars in the center of london).

Interview Question – In the phone call the engineer asked me two programming questions:

Implement a function that calculates in how many ways it is possible to climb a stair given that you can raise one step or two step at a time. (solution Fibonacci like)
Then asked me general info about fibonacci sequence and few questions in the field of algebra (modulo operations).

Second problem was to generate a random sequence of number for Lotto extraction.

Onsite i had three interviews:
3 about programming and 1 about system design (general question about detecting bot in social network, youtube and google+).
  Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail and subsequently via telephone.
Scheduled a telephone interview with an engineer and received ample information about preparation. Recruiter was friendly and open to questions.

First interview was via telephone and Google doc. Had to solve a relatively easy sorting problem which I implemented in Java. The interviewer was very friendly.

Second interview was the same but a different interviewer, who seemed more reserved, and a different problem which I couldn't solve as easily.

Interview Question – Dynamically build a tree from a stream of father-child tuples.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – *I am not english native speaker.

I applied online and get first non-technical call in a month. Then was 3 technical calls. I think I failed 2th. After each call I got feedback in a week.
After third call, I was invited to onside interview in London.
It took 2 months after last call to onside interview.
**I am not from GB. I had to get a visa to come to onside interview.

There was 5 interview + dinner. Dinner was with the man that was not only from my own city and speak my native language, but he also worked in the same company as me before relocate. It was really nice surprise.

Interview Question – All questions I already saw in Internet: leetcode, careercup. 4 was about algorithms, 1 for design. No more details - NDA.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online for an open position in London. Contacted by mail to fix a first interview by phone. The interview terminated in 10 minutes because of not fluent English.

Interview Question – Average Complexity of Quicksort Algorithm   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in March 2013.

Interview Details – It was very good experience of applying to Google.
First I had a screening telephone interview. Then had two online programming tests guided by a google employee. First online technical interview was quite easy and smooth. Second however didn't go that well, since I was stressed thinking that interviewer was not interested anymore, or busy doing something. I should have kept calm and proceed with my task. Hence I failed second task.
The HR contacted me after few days stating that they won't proceed at this time and I should try to apply again in the future.

Interview Question – Optimise the code where possible. You have to have it in mind when writing a code, so you could optimise later.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The whole process was very long. It took four months to go from the first recruiter call to the onsite interview. In the meantime I had a few phone calls with the recruiter to schedule/wrap things up, two phone interviews and one on-site interview (comprising of 5 interviews with as many people).

Interview Question – Mostly general programming questions of the typical "Google" kind and one system design question.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Firstly had 2 technical phone interviews, using knowledge of datastructures and algorithms to solve problems. Next had to do 5 onsite interviews in London throughout the day, all of which were the same format as the phone interview. All expenses of getting to the office were paid by Google. Free lunch supplied by Google, plus a tour of the building

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!