Google

Updated Dec 21, 2014

3.5

37 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Uploaded the CV, heard back from a recruiter 2 months later. Two phone interviews, one right after the another, both taking 45 minutes. The first one was more of an algorithmic test with some really detailed questions, while the second one was almost entirely about testing, both on a specific example and in general (i.e. knowing stuff like unit testing, code coverage, and specifically JUnit since the guy worked Android Wear). After the questions on testing, I was asked to design a simple algorithm to reverse a specific part of a string and code it up.

Coding was done via Google Docs, while Hangout videolinks were used for communication.
I'm currently in the host matching phase (passed both interviews), so I don't really know whether I'm going to get an offer or not.

Interview Questions
  • Not really allowed to share -- a problem where the trie data structure was the optimal solution, as well as some tricks related to floating point overflows and underflows   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

I got an interview through a referral. Shortly I got a call for the phone interview. The questions were rather easy. After that I was invited for the onsite interview.

Software Engineering Interview

Two back to back 45 minute on campus interviews. Interviews began with some questions about resume, a programming problem lasting for most of the interview, and then some time to ask interviewers questions at the end. Following this, there was a host-matching process beginning around early November, Matched with first host and accepted.

Software Engineer Interview

Applied through their website. They contacted me the next day. Had a talk with HR and got scheduled a technical interview. They gave me a document with information on what to prepare. It's basically everything a computer scientist should know. From data structures and algorithms, to OS stuff, OOP. The question caught me off guard since most of the question I had seen had a hidden algorithm in them or something like that. This one was quite vague.

Interview Questions
    • I can't say what the question was but it was a very interesting, abstract question. Starting from a very simple idea and going deeper. I did pretty bad, my fault.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Applied at the end of July through a recruitment agency who have connections with Google. I received an email at the end of August inviting me to a group chat where we were told what to expect in the interview. I had my interviews in mid September - there were two 45 minute technical interviews, one of which was done via video conference. They said I'd hear back in around two weeks, and I heard I was unsuccessful 16 days later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked "How would you find the longest substring of a string containing only one character?" this was then expanded to two characters, etc. The second question was "How would you reverse just the vowels in a string?" They then asked what I'd do if the string was too big to fit in memory.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

The hiring process was very smooth, the interviewers were very nice, unfortunately i didn't make the cut. It was my first set of technical interviews. I was told to think out loud which i did, i think the main reason i may not have made the cut is i was both nervous and i expected them to ask me to make the hashtables etc not use the java provided ones.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions, but i didnt expect them to ask me to use the java standard library, i expected them to ask me to define my own.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Contacted through recruiter. First phone "interview" was with him, we mostly talked about my background and he asked some basic questions such as quicksort, mergesort, etc. The second one was with their engineer and was mostly technical. Now I'm waiting for their response.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google.

It was phone first interview. They want see if you are smart. You can use paper to write down and think. .don't know what else. Nothing to add to already written

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Applied in November 2013
    HR got in touch in March 2014
    First phone interview in April 2014
    Second in May 2014
    5 On-site interviews in July 2014

HR was super nice.
    One out of the 5 on-site interviewers was super unfriendly (and just came out of the shower w/ wet hair). She presented a graph problem which I considered my speciality. It had one tweak which she explained very badly. I asked her to reexplain the tweak twice. Then I was like "I understood it that way. So I'd do it this way. What do you think?". She then told me to "just implement it". I implemented it very fast. In the meantime, she read my CV. When I concluded, she looked at the code (which was probably 15-20 LoC). She then noticed that the way I handled the tweak was different to what she said. So she was like: "I told you to do it that way. What did you do there?". While I felt a little offended because if she had put a little more effort in explaining it I would have gotten it right away. Her version would have been even easier to implement.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

A classic Google process - two phone interviews, then five 1:1 on-site interviews.

The hiring process is well documented and you know what to expect. A few personal tips :

- Think loud. Brainstorm.
    - Don't overcomplicate your solutions. It's better to have working O(N^2) than buggy O(N log N). You can describe the better solution during the discussion later.
    - If you don't see the solution, try to write down a few examples or corner cases. You can observe the solutions from these.
    - Although it's more than recommended to know a wide range of algorithms or data structures, you'll rarely use these during the actual coding. Arrays, conditions and cycles are usually enough.
    - Practice. TopCoder, CodefForces, HackerRank, Codechef... These are the tasks you should expect.
    - Be positive. You've got nothing to lose.