Google

Updated May 31, 2014

Average Difficulty
124 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2013.

Interview Details – Went through campus recruiting. Three interviews in total. Two technical and One semi-technical for host matching. First two were on campus interviews and tested for algorithmic and critical thinking skills. Know your algorithms and data structures and you should be good.
Friendly and helpful recruiters.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question they asked me was Why Google? I said, Why not Google?   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Google in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online after going to a job fair.
Was contacted for interview at career center.
I was asked basic questions on Java and its various features. They didn't ask any huge curveball questions, they asked things that most people should know at my level.
Generally, they only ask questions about the things listed in your resume.

Interview Question – There were not too many unexpected questions. One was about how to parse a directory string.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details – Got interview opportunity by talking to university recruiter. Interviewed at HQ with a small team of guys. Asked a lot of CS questions. Took about 2 hours. Did not get offer.

Interview Question – Write a method to return all permutations of a string.   Answer Question

Sydney (Australia)

I interviewed at Google in December 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and didn't hear from then for a few months. Received a phone call from HR with a lot of technical questions such as converting binary to numerical numbers. After the initial interview, you receive an email to prepare for the next interview of typing up code on Google docs.

Interview Question – Unexpected to answer so many technical questions on the spot.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – I ask a friend to refer me in Jan and get first phone interview in Feb. The interview question is quite simple, very common with leetcode problems. And they will ask you to analyze the complexity and improvements. I got one more interview in March, since they are hard to evaluate me. After I pass the interview in March, they said I am in a hosting match process. I was very excited, however, I found that at that time there is almost no positions in Google. The final result is that I got a reject letter no long before.

Interview Question – Common interview problems like string processing. Remove repeated chars in a string.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – had two phone interviews. Both interviews consist of coding for given problems. Only coding..not asked my research or interest area even though I am a phd candidate who mainly research on specific topic.

Interview Question – too much coding test   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Applied online before Christmas, didn't expect to hear back at all, but in late January got an email and 2 45-minute technical interviews over the phone were scheduled. A couple of days before the first interview, I contacted the recruiter as I wasn't confident I have had enough time to prepare. My interview was pushed back a week, which was extremely nice of Google.

In the first inverview, I was asked to code a very basic, well-known algorithm but the interviewer did not specify that in the question, it was more like 'how would you do this?'-type question. Then I was asked to walk through a sample input and explain how the algorithm would execute. Finally I was asked how I would adequately test the algorithm. Second question involved coming up with a solution to a problem involving 2 integer arrays. No coding was required, just an explaination of how I would go about it.

Second interviewer had me explain some object-oriented concepts, even though I chose to answer in C. There were some ambigious questions about the Google search engine and the Google servers, which I'm pretty sure I did not answer correctly. Then I was asked to write an encryption function, and once I managed to complete it, the problem was made more difficult a couple of times and for each I had to rewrite the code to suit the problem.

Overall, I thought the interviews were not as hard as I thought they would be, and both of the interviewers were quite nice and patient, explaining concepts I did not understand, or helping me find the right solution. At the end of each interview I had some time to just chat with them, and ask questions, which I thought was great.

Interview Question – How does the Google search engine work?   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2011.

Interview Details – Contacted by an recruiter through email and scheduled an onsite interview

Interview Question – One question is regarding coding skills and one is regarding algorithm design. The later one is about graph and is difficult. Didn't figure out the solution myself. The interviewer is nice and offered lots of hints.   Answer Question

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – the first interview is very simple and the question is straight. Then the second is much difficult but no coding.

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

The process had two stages, interviews, followed by project assignment. The process was comfortable. All questions are framed to your personality and your CV, focus was on programming languages and algorithms. That was the trend for both. I was unsuccessful at the interview stage, I waited for a month to hear back from them after I had finished my both technical interviews. In my case the interviewers never asked any personal questions and we moved straight to coding so I found it difficult to blend in.
The first interviewer was a bit unenthusiastic and intimidating which also threw me off a bit but the second interviewer I had was really nice and helpful in describing what we had to do properly.

Interview Question – How would you gather input from users (name, dob, address) and reprocate the same as output?   View Answer

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!