Google

Average Difficulty
124 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews, mostly technical, only a couple of minutes for your own questions at the end and perhaps a brief introduction of your previous experience at the beginning. If the interviews go well, then host matching begins. Different potential hosts interview candidates until they find a suitable match. The host matching is usually just a relaxed conversation.

Interview Question – I can't remember the toughest question. Preparing with TopCoder, ACM ICPC or uva online judge should do. Try to keep the conversation going at all times. It's alright to take a pause for a couple of seconds and think, but it's important to always let the interviewer know how we are tackling the problem.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – 2 Technical interviews, 1 host matching interview (more explaining the project than an interview)
Everyone was very nice in the process and very quick to respond if I had any questions.
Really no surprises in the process, brush up on key Cormen data structures chapters before hand.

Interview Question – Signed an NDA to not disclose questions but TopCoder, GlassDoor, LeetCode, ProjectEuler and CareerCup will give you almost all of the types of questions you will see.
The questions were not super complicated, but were able to probe if you have a basic algorithms / CS background quite well.
Know your Big-Os of standard operations on datastructures, worst case/ best case/average case analysis.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a Google recruiter ~2 weeks later. She set up two back-to-back 45 minute phone interviews for me.

First interviewer was 15 minutes late and was very disinterested. He asked me to implement something that I'd say is very difficult and that I couldn't find online later. Regardless I think I did an alright job.

Second interviewer asked me more standard interview questions. I got to the optimal solution for the first question and figured out a solution for the second question and the interviewer seemed to like me.

Interview Question – This was one of the more standard questions. You have stairs with N number of steps. You can take either one step steps or two step steps; how many ways can you climb the stairs?   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – 2 Back-to-back phone interviews using Google Doc. The first one with a Software Engineer who had Indian accent was pretty good. Two coding questions related to string manipulation and tree structure. But no questions related to resume were asked. Then, the second one was with a Software Engineer who had Chinese accent. I spent quite a long time to understand what he meant many times during the interview. He asked me about many Low level systems questions and questions about the most challenging projects I had done. Then, there was an unorganized and unclear question about dictionary. However, in 10 minutes, it turned out to be implementing/overriding a function in java String class. It was kind of weird. And then, at last, when he told me that what questions I would like to ask him, I said "Could you tell me something about your team? And how long have you been working in Google?" Pretty normal questions, right? However, then, he was like "It seems like you are doing a survey!" WT...His replies really made me feel quite uncomfortable. It was not a pleasant experience as I had expected at the beginning. The position and expectation Google had in my heart were lowered to some extent.

Interview Question – Signed NDA. Questions related to Data Structures and Algorithms.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty good. I was recruited, so I had a slightly different pathway, but the recruiter was always on top of things, and response time was quick.

Interview Question – Low level systems questions, non-traditional questions.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – It was a tough interview. Most of the questions were from DS and Algos. And I had to design one problem. There were two interviews of 45 min each.

Interview Question – Signed NDA :/   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2012.

Interview Details – two technical interviews and group match interview

Interview Question – Prepare all the technical interview questions, nothing really unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Contacted by Google within two weeks from resume submission. Two consecutive phone interviews in 2 hours, each of which lasts for 45 minutes and with one coding question. No behavioral question. The first interview asked extensively about data structures and some language/design questions. The second interview started coding question directly without asking anything else.

Interview Question – Nothing needs knowledge of fancy algorithms, e.g. Knuth–Morris–Pratt algorithm. You just need some "street smartness" on practical problems to work out coding problems. Chapter 10 Scalability and Memory Limits in Cracking the Coding Interview will help.   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – Had my resume in a database for a women's conference. Google reviewed it and contacted me for an interview at the conference. No phone screen, just two interviews on-site, back to back, each 45 minutes. Asked me questions that involved recursion.

Interview Question – Nothing too complicated.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – 2 Phone interviews back to back with a 15 minute break.
It's all CS fundamentals with some networking and low level knowledge.

After my interviews, I followed up but never got a response.. I let the recruiters know of my pending offers and the deadlines but they just kept pushing it. This was very annoying as I wanted to know whether I got it or not, even it was bad news.

The interviews were okay, but the recruiters were just too delayed. It has been weeks and I still haven't gotten a decision from them.

Interview Question – Signed NDA so I can't share the questions. Just study the stuff from sources they give you   Answer Question