Google Software Engineering Intern Interview Questions

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

two 45-min interviews, First talk about resume and two basic coding questions: hashMap and Newton-raphson functions. Second, talk about two basic coding questions: hashMap and flatten iterator. I didn't work out the iterator question and finally get rejected.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I applied online, and the HR contacted me that he needed my information, including time slots for interview. The interview was purely technical, with just introduction about myself in the beginning. It was divided in 2 calls. Each call was 45 minutes, separated by 15 minutes break and different person. We used Google Docs for the live coding.

Interview Questions

• Given a string and a dictionary. Break the string into meaningful words.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Went through campus recruiting. Three interviews in total. Two technical and One semi-technical for host matching. First two were on campus interviews and tested for algorithmic and critical thinking skills. Know your algorithms and data structures and you should be good. Friendly and helpful recruiters.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question they asked me was Why Google? I said, Why not Google?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in February 2013.

Interview

Two rounds phone interview. Each round last 45 minutes. Round 1: Compare whether two trees are the same. Round 2: 1. Bag-of-words model. Write the process of search based on inverted index. The follow up is given some attributes(an array), how to filter the search result. 2. Given the radius, generate a random point inside a circle

Interview Questions

• What is you biggest challenge in your life and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in February 2013.

Interview

Applied online and through career services. Got an on campus interview that consisted of two rounds of interviewers, for 45 minutes each. The first interviewer asked to find the length of the longest chain of consecutive integers in an unsorted set. The second interviewer asked to approximate pi, and to find a way to encode and decode a string.

Interview Questions

• Find the length of the longest chain of consecutive integers in an unsorted set in linear time.   5 Answers

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Got in touch with with Google through a campus recruiting event, talked to the recruiter and she told me to turn it in online. A month or two later I was sent an email saying that I had gotten an interview! I was so excited. I had two phone interviews, that were supposed to be 45 minutes long each with a 15 minute break between them. The first interviewer called me 15 minutes late so that was a little annoying. We didn't chit-chat or anything and got straight to the problem, which was a board game problem (I won't go further because I don't want to breach my NDA). When my interviewer asked me the question, my mind went blank and I had no idea how to solve it right away so I just talked my way through it. Overall I felt I didn't do too well on this question and I took almost whatever time I had left in the interview to solve this problem. The second interviewer called about 1-2 minutes after the first interviewer hung up and he talked about what he did a little bit and then we got down to the problem solving. Again, I don't want to breach my NDA so I can't really say what my question was. I thought I solved this problem pretty well and it sounded like my interviewer was fine with my solution. We then talked about another problem and rather than having me code it, he just asked me to describe how I would solve it. After I did this, I asked him some questions about his history and what it was like to work at Google and then we ended the interview about 5 minutes early because we were more or less done. It took Google about 3 weeks to get back to me (it was a dreaded wait) however I knew after the first interview I wasn't going to get an offer. I felt that to get an internship you needed to blow both the interviews out of the park and I felt like I barely got by the first one and blew the second one out of the park, which wasn't going to be enough. Overall, I was really nervous because this was my first interview with a big name company and I feel like that really got to me in the first interview. Even though I didn't get an offer, it was really good practice because I ended up interviewing at Microsoft and I learned what not to do in the interview (like be nervous!). I was able to remain calm during my Microsoft interview and I ended up getting an offer there, which I don't think I would have been able to do unless I had this interview with Google.

Interview Questions

• First interview: Board Game question Second interview: One coding question (honestly I can't remember it for the life of me), and one technical question where I was asked how I would solve it   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Overall a very smooth process. I submitted my resume and got schedule for two phone interviews the next day. Then within a week I got notified I entered the matching process. In the next two weeks following, I was matched up with several projects, and ultimately received an offer in the one I liked the most.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The process started when I applied for a Software Engineering Intern position online. The online application was relatively simple and included basic information such as name, address, education, work experience etc. It took approximately 2 weeks after submitting my online application before a recruiter contacted me to schedule 2 phone interviews. After several emails sent back and forth, both interviews were scheduled, one right after the other. Both interviewers were very nice and helpful during the interview. Each interview was between 40 and 50 minutes long. I had heard that sometimes the interviewers can be condescending and distant, but this was not the case in my interviews. Both interviewers were very sincere and talked me through the whole process.

Interview Questions

• I am going to respect my non-disclosure agreement that I signed with Google. Just know your basic data structures, algorithms, and be prepared to think on your feet.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO).

Interview

Submitted my resume online and was contacted within a week by my recruiter. She set up two 45 minute interviews for 3 weeks later. The interviews were back to back. I can't give details about the questions because of the NDA, but the first dealt mainly with common data structures and algorithms - any computer science major should have been able to easily code the solutions. I got through about 6 questions with a few bugs along the way (mainly because of nerves) but the interviewer was very nice about pointing them out and giving me an opportunity to correct them. The second interview did not go nearly as well. I got stumped on the first question and ended up spending all 45 minutes on it; it shouldn't have been very hard, but it dealt with a concept I hadn't thought about for a while so I didn't know where to begin. The interviewer was not particularly friendly or helpful (he would correct my code as I wrote it which was a bit annoying and nerve-wracking) but overall wasn't mean. By the end of the 45 minutes I had a working (although not at all elegant) solution. Seeing as my second interview went so terribly I was shocked when I received an email the next day from my recruiter saying I made it to the host matching phase. I was in Google purgatory for 3 and a half long weeks before I heard back from a potential host in Boulder, CO. My recruiter set up an interview for the following week. The host interview hardly felt like an interview, it was very conversational and was mostly him telling me about the position. He ended the phone call basically telling me I had the job; about 5 minutes later I received a congratulatory email from my recruiter, and was given the official offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• During the host interview: What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the java language?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation - internship.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I interviewed at Google in January 2013.

Interview

there were 2 rounds, 45 min each and two problems for each round. They were straight into their questions. If you get stuck somewhere, they will give you hint. They hope to help you go as far as you can.

Interview Questions

• they gave me a piece of code, which uses function call and recursive structure and asked me to tell them what the code does. Also, they asked me to design a database that satisfies some functionality.   Answer Question