Google

1,047 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,047 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

Telephone interview: It was little weird - the first question had to do with topological sorting, which I was able to solve and code. The second question was about max length pairs of words in a dictionary, which I was able to answer too. The problem - the interviewer didn't understand what I was talking! He made me explain things again and again, even though I had written them down on the shared doc. He was satisfied with my answer at last, the same answer that I was telling him from the beginning, and asked me to code it. He also mentioned at the end of the interview that I will be getting a call for the next interview soon. However, they called in a couple of days to tell me that they won't be moving forward with the process.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing very difficult, though the graph question was good.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I was contacted due to an open-source software I created in a very specific area. After two phone interviews that were closely related to topics close to my software I was invited to an on-site interview. The questions I got there were mostly general algorithmic questions, i.e. to write functions for a given task, such as "What is a deadlock. Give a code example that might cause one" and also about modifications and filtering of raw buffer data using bit operators.

Most of it was out of my comfort zone as my expertise and the prospective job is in a very different areas so I had to improvise a lot, especially for the deadlocks and buffer data questions. There was surprising little questions concerning the area of why I thought I was invited.

One of the questions I totally got lost and were not able to read that the interviewer tried to tell me to take a different approach. Also I did not take the chance after the interview to ask for the actual solution which might have spun a fruitful reflection about my admittedly silly attempts.

I haven't yet gotten an answer for now I'll set it to "No offer" as that reflects what my gut feeling tells me.

Interview Questions
    • A square matrix of size n^2 and random entries from 0 ... n^2, find the longest sequence of consecutive neighbours (i.e. top, left, bottom, right entries).   View Answers (2)
    • Find the n-th digit of a number which is constructed by concatenation of all natural numbers.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

Applied online. Two phone interviews and onsite interview. Phone interviews jumped directly to the coding problems but not very hard. Just basic algorithms. Four rounds onsite interview, not very hard. The atmosphere in google in really good.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

I applied online through their general link for internship applications. Was surprised to hear back just a few days later from a recruiting coordinator, who asked me to choose 3 time slots for phone interviews. The interviews ended up being about 3 weeks after our initial contact. The phone interviews were rather relaxed, the interviewers were very nice. I definitely over studied, I was memorizing complicated graph algorithms and other high-level topics and the interview questions ended up being much simpler than I expected. The three interviews were all back to back with 15 minute breaks in between, and I think I did pretty well overall. There was one programming problem (out of 6 total) I was not able to answer fully, and I'm going to be kicking myself about it for some time. I have not heard back from them yet (interview was yesterday), so no word on offer/ no offer.

Interview Questions
    • I will honor the NDA I signed with Google, but definitely be comfortable with the edge cases of simple algorithms and data structures.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Write a Java function, printTree(), which prints a given tree with hierarchy. The argument of printTree is a stream of pairs of string values. Each string found anywhere in the input represents a unique node.
    Each item in the stream is a pair indicating a parent/child relationship in the tree. The first element in the pair is the parent. The second element in the pair is the child.Each parent can have many children. A generic class pair<T,U> is required to implement

Interview Questions
    • I never thought generics implementation will be asked and I haven't done that for a while, which took me about 10 min to do the generics implementation   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

1 HR interview, introducing basic interview process. Just need to answer some simple questions about your resume. After that, they will give you an email describing all the things you need to master before the tech interview. Including the site, type of questions, and so on.
    2 Tech interview. Solve an algorithm problem.
    1) Traverse a binary search tree. Find the sum of this tree.
    2) Return all the subset of size k whose sum will be n

Be sure to use topcoder, it's a wonderful site with great tutorial. And, even better, it gives you practice room which you can test your code to see your code's performance.
    However, my suggestion is that you start with google doc, because that's how you will really use in an interview. Only after you have finished coding in your google doc, you copy and paste your answer into your topcoder practice room system, and use that to test your answer. You should also do this within the time limit, which is not 45 minutes, because the real interview will leave some time for you to ask questions and some chat at the beginning.

So it would be appropriate if you could solve the problem within 30 minutes, the problem will not be too hard, but it definitely needs strong preparation.

Interview Questions
    • second question because that's require a lot of performance consideration.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

applied online, contacted by recruiter. The onsite consisted of 4 rounds of technical interviews and lunch. The interviewers were friendly and helpful. The hiring process is efficient. Had to write code on whiteboard and code needed to be working code.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

I got recommended by a Google employee. The recruiter came to me in a week and went me through the interview process. He asked me to pick 4/5 2-hour period on workdays to get two phone screen, each 45 mins. They have a google doc for each interviewer to write code on.
    On the day of my interview, the first interviewer didn't contact me. So I shoot an email to the recruiter. He called me in 30 mins to update the information. The interviewer was late or something so his interview will be after my originally second one. At that time, I got the call from one interviewer. The question he asked is basically how to find the point closest to given points on a grided plane. I didn't do well and the phone was not clear. The second one was nice. Question was about binary tree and palindrome. Easy stuff. Got rejected in two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How to locate the point with the minimal distance to all the given points. Which should be done by a connected graph as all the points on the grid can only move up and down. I tried to answer the question but the interviewer kept asking me is this the global minimum. I don't know!!!   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Applied through a referral. The whole process took 2+ weeks. I was contacted by the HR to schedule an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of four 45 minute long interviews, each based on deriving an algorithm to solve a problem.

Interview Questions
    • Write an API to start Google Now, when saying "Ok Google"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Applied through a hackathon link. Received a first round behavioural phone interview about a week later, and a technical interview two weeks after that. Very disappointed about the technical interview, the engineer who I spoke to called 20 minutes late and seemed preoccupied with something else throughout the entirety of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected, sort an array of structs in O(n) time based on two specific characteristic of the structs.   Answer Question