Google Software Engineering Interview Questions

1,237 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,237 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

I submited my resume online. After 2 weeks the HR contacted me to arrange a phone interview.
 It was about 40 minutes.
The process is writing code on google doc and interact with interviewer through the phone.
I was informed to get an onsite one working day after the interview.

Interview Questions
  • 1. merge two sorted lists. 2.merge k sorted lists
    He asked followed up questions about memory allocation, difference between heap and priority queue, , time complexity and a few issues with my STL usage.

View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Applied through a employee referral. Was contacted by a recruiter who asked me about my background and told me about the interview process (1-2 phone screens and then ~5 on-site interviews). He then scheduled a phone screen with one of their engineers. The phone screen was a bit odd I think, the person did not really introduce her self and jumped right to the questions. The rush made me a little bit more nervous but I guess she didn't think the usual background/interests chat mattered. Otherwise the format was very similar to other technical phone screens I've done.

It took a rather long time for the recruiter to get back to me and actually it wasn't until I sent him an email >3 weeks later that he promptly replied that he coincidentally just received the results (right) and there weren't enough positives to move forward.

Interview Questions
    • Started off with some knowledge questions about graphs (no coding). Then a rather tricky combinatorics problem that involved a base 9 number system (as opposed to binary base 2 or hex base 16). I stumbled on the solution in the end but was way to nervous and that probably didn't look to good.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

Applied on line, about one weeks later, they will contact you with the phone. they want to ensure you can really interest in coding and have some coding experiences. After get the call, they will send you an Email, with a link. And the link will expire in a week. Click that link you will goto Codility, do the programming part.

Interview Questions
    • It was an algorithms question, which will be O(n^3) with bruce solution, but you have to optimize it Time complexity O(n), space complexityO(n).   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

Applied online. Few weeks after I submitted my application, I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail. Got phone interview. Interviewer was friendly. Finally, got a phone call from recruiter after two weeks said I cannot move to next step.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

I received an email from a recruiter requesting a recent resume. I sent her the resume and she gave me some tips on how to improve it. I sent to her the updated resume and she scheduled a phone interview. I passed that one and she scheduled another phone interview, which I didn't pass.

Interview Questions
    • They asked two standard CS questions on my first phone interview and a harder one on my second phone interview.
      1- dictionary manipulation / handling of duplicates

View Answer
    • 2- Reverse linked list (first phone interview)   View Answer
    • 3- Non-standard game strategy question (second phone interview)   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Google.

We talked on the phone and we mostly talked about coding which I wasn't all to good with but I told them that I would brush up on it and work at the best of my ability

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

Applied online and received an email about setting up two technical interviews which were back to back. Scheduled the interviews and received questions about data structures and algorithms in my chosen language. Heard back a week or so later they were not moving forward.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about data structures and algorithms in my preferred language.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

2 phone interviews. Didn't make it past the second. Neither question asked was very difficult. First was about string manipulation, second involved fib sequence. Both interviewers were helpful and I thought I did well, but not as well as some of my peers evidently. Make sure to analyze runtime and run through test cases.

Interview Questions
    • Signed a NDA, so I can't discuss, but first phone interview was on string manipulation and the second involved the fibonacci sequence.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in March 2015.

There are three phone interviews back-to-back. Each last for about 45 min. The HR is very nice, send me PPT file for preparation as well as several reminders. Receive reject email one week after interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Find the deepest node in a binary tree; Build a tree out of given edges; etc   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Inside referral, contacted me in 2 weeks, arranged the interview 4 weeks from then. Very efficient. 3 interviews, 45 mins each. ALL nice person! The third one doesn't talk much. But the questions in third one are not the hardest, leetcode medium level, I think. The first one questions are easy (leetcode as reference). You can ask them questions not related to the interview. Very positive experience! Thanks, google and glassdoor!