Google Software Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.5

960 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

The phone interview questions were easy if you have read CLRS. I had a shared document opened and I had to write code in that page. Pseudo code was accepted.

Interview Questions
  • I didn't write any SQL query for a while at the time, so I kinda messed up.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

First round, you will have a phone interview. They will ask some basic programming question and one technical questions. Asking writing code on Google Doc.
    Second round, another phone Interview, ask another round technical questions.

Stop it this point.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

It's Phone Interview. First, he asked me some questions about projects on my resume, some low level questions. Then coding, merge intervals which is on Leetcode. Then I asked some questions about him. One word, it's not enough to just practice algorithm question!

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

I got a phone interview after a career fair. I tried to convert it to a on campus interview but failed. I got a phone call and starting to coding on google docs.

Interview Questions
    • First question is to write a sort function, i wrote bubble sort, next is sort linked-lists. I'v tried to write a right version, but the interviewer wants me to optimize it. The final answer is "you can pre calculate the length of the linked-list". The questions are easy, but hard to tell if it's good for selecting programmers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google in October 2014.

HR connected me at August. Re-connect with her at October. Then had a phone interview. Some behavior question. Just one technical question about design a game. Not much difficult but generate a random number but not the previous generated number is a little tricky.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult but generate a random number but not the previous generated number is a little tricky.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Was contacted by a Google recruiter. Talked to two people on the phone. Both had large egos and fresh out of school. One asked some algorithm questions, and then suddenly hung up. There was second interview a few days later- the other person focused on scalability. There was significant disagreement between us on how to achieve it.

Interview Questions
    • NDA was signed so cannot provide question.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

No phone screening. Followed by on-site interviews.
    The recruiter seemed to prefer Python and network related experience.
    Recommended some books and web links, a couple of weeks before the interview started.
    Was asked to write code on the white board while explaining what is being done. Chose C++ but Python or Java would have been a better suit.
    Seems to be important to prepare for impressive questions to ask the interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Embarrassed that most interview questions were about database design, not quite related to my background given in the resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Contacted by HR at early July, asking whether I can have an phone interview in 3 weeks. Replied "not available until August". Contacted again in late July and scheduled a phone interview in late August.

During the interview, I was asked to talk about my resume, including project and research experiences. Then asked to write a class to define a deck of cards, and write shuffle function for the cards.

Interview Questions
    • was asked to write a class to define a deck of cards, and write shuffle function for the cards.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

Submitted resume online and got 2 phone interviews, both technical. Process time about 3 to 4 weeks. Asked about projects on resume and coding questions. One is really easy and the other is build a multiplier

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Applied online, a few weeks later a recruiter emailed me to set up phone interviews. Two back to back phone interviews with coding through a google doc. One was with a software developer and one with a manager. Decision took another few weeks before it came back.

Interview Questions
    • Basic data structures questions and sorting algorithms   Answer Question