Google

1,049 Interview Reviews

3.5

1,049 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Recruiter give a call first, and ask about questions on the background. She will help schedule an interview with another technical recruiter. The material that she suggest to prepare is helpful. But I didn't read it too much before interview. In the process of interview, the recruiter gives a lot of hints, however I was not able to solve the problem

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

My interview and hiring process was extremely tiring but satisfactory. I studied and mastered computer science alone at home within 2 months. I applied online and quite suprisingly; they replied back the next day to set-up an phone interview. They asked a few question and then told me "Alright, we'll call you again next week."

Software Engineer Interview

Submitted resume online and got called from a recruiter the third week to schedule a phone interview. It was earlier than I thought. Probably right now it's a job seeker's market. Got a reject email after interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in November 2014.

Got referred by an employee and got two back-to-back phone interviews. The first interviewer arrived half an hour late, but they didn't even extend the interview and my second interview was delayed. The first interviewer didn't give a lot of hints. Whenever I asked some questions, she would say "What do you think?" The second interviewer was much better, but because we were running late, I didn't get to finish my code.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google in November 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by HR who asked for my transcripts. After sending my transcripts, he called and talked about my background, what projects I have done, what kinds of programming languages I use and scheduled a technique phone interview weeks later. For the technique interview, it was not hard if you prepared. However I failed. The HR called next week and said they decided to move on with other candidates and suggest me to apply again after 5 months.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question. The interviewer jumped to the question directly   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

Applied online with employee referral. Also talked to an engineer at a university career fair. Was then offered an on-campus (school) interview about a month later, which consisted of 2 45-minute interviews. A couple days after that, I was called on-site in Seattle, which consisted of 3 60-minute interviews. Since I had a competing offer, I was informed of the decision 3 days later by phone, with the recruiter informing me that the hiring committee did not approve of my hire.

The process was really dragged out (considering I originally applied in early September) and they only left me an hour to respond to my competing offer. Google HR can be surprisingly disorganized. For example, half of the interviewers had an outdated copy of my resume on hand, from an application I had submitted 3 years ago.

Interview Questions
    • Signed NDA and will respect the NDA. For a new grad, they focus primarily on CS fundamentals, so know your data structures and algorithms well. However, be able to think through your code design in terms of scalability, even if they don't ask you to parallelize the code. I think they test the same concepts as Microsoft does, but I'll summarize the difference between the two companies without revealing any coding questions. Microsoft will ask you questions like, "If apples cost $2 and bananas cost $3, how much does it cost me to buy 3 apples and 2 oranges?" Google will ask you a question along the lines of, "If apples cost $2 and bananas cost $3, and I have a $1 million dollars, how many unique fruit combinations can I buy?" Simply put, Google questions are more in depth and require more thought and finesse, even though the same concepts are used in solving them.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

[Recruiter contact] The recruiter contact is incredible. I had two initial phone calls with my recruiter who wanted to hear how I'm doing with my preparation. She also called me later for giving me feedback after the interviews.

[interviews] To be honest, I had the worst interview experience with Google. My interviewer very too straight forward and it seemed like they didn't care who I am. Also, there was no initial question about me. Instead, we had a conversation like that "Hey, is this xx?" "yes" "okay, let's start with the first coding question". My interviewers didn't even explain who they are or what they do. That made me feel very uncomfortable.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. However KNOW YOUR COMPLEXITIES! They asked me about time complexity for each paragraph.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google in November 2014.

Three consecutive first round interviews over the phone using Google Docs. The interviews cover basic algorithmic and data structures questions with a twist.

The process takes awhile because they're such a big company and there are so many people applying. It can be tough to get a response sometimes, but you just have to be persistent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

Was referred by a friend. Skipped the phone screen interview because I was interviewing with Facebook at the same time. Was flown to Mountain View to go through the 5 interviews in one day process. Was interviewing for the Android and Display Ads teams. An android team member asked me this question which I wasnt able to finish in time.

Interview Questions
    • main() {
        A()

main (t8-t1)
        A (t5-t2)
          B (t4-t3)
        C (t7-t6)

Write a function that given the input will create the output

View Answer
    • Write a function that given a sequence and a number b between [-10,10] return a new sequence. Sequences are generated by this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look-and-say_sequence

a number b if equal to 0 the function will return the input sequence

input: 111221, -1
      output: 1211

View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

I got contacted by a Google recruiter sometime in September about a new grad Software Engineering position in Mountain View. Following an initial phone call briefly going over my resume and talking about my interest in Google, the recruiter set up a 45 minute phone coding interview. Unfortunately, no one actually called me as scheduled for my interview, so I contacted my recruiter and she rescheduled. After this interview took place, I was contacted about a week later saying that they wanted to do a second phone interview before deciding whether or not to bring me onsite for final rounds. I had that set up a couple of weeks later and then heard back again within a week that they wanted to fly me out for onsite interviews. At this point I was also transferred to another recruiter who dealt with onsite interviews and the rest of the recruiting process.

I was flown out in early November for a day of four 45 minute whiteboard coding interviews with a lunch break in between the first two and the last two. Overall, it was one of my better onsite interview experiences and the interviewers were receptive to actively participating in the process (not just telling you the problem and then sitting there in silence). I even had one interviewer who took extra time after the interview to go into more detail explaining another way that I could have solved the problem. The engineer I had lunch with was also very nice and helped to paint a good picture of what working at Google would be like.

Following this, my recruiter made sure to keep me updated as to how things were going in the review process. I heard back in about a week that my feedback from the interviews would be going through the hiring committee. Then, a few days after that I heard back that I passed the hiring committee and needed to have my package submitted for executive review. About a week after this I got an email from my recruiter saying I had the offer! We discussed the details over the phone and I accepted the offer the following week. All in all, from onsite to getting the offer was a little over 2 weeks.

While it was certainly a lengthy process (September - end of November) this wasn't all Google's fault and I appreciated the recruiters keeping me up to date every step of the way.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't say there was a specific most difficult or unexpected question, but overall I'd recommend studying Cracking the Coding interview and also be prepared to write code on a whiteboard. Another thing to remember is to keep talking out loud and explaining your thought process along the way. I thought I did poorly in the phone interviews, but I think that this helped me get to the onsite.   Answer Question
    Google will really only negotiate if you have another better offer. I had an offer for about the same and no negotiation was entertained.