Google

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sourcer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online. Contacted by recruiter a year later. Time from initial contact to offer: exactly two months. This was one of the most thorough and lengthy hiring processes I've ever experienced, but worth it in the end. First was the initial conversation with the recruiter describing the position and determining whether or not I'd be a fit. Then was a phone interview, which I actually had to remind my recruiter about a week later. Had a phone interview with another recruiter, who then set me up for an on site interview a week and a half later. The first stage moved very quickly.

All the interviews were a combination of behavioral and hypothetical questions designed to learn more about your thought process and how you approach a problem. It was very straightforward, and they care more about your thought process than the actual answer. Your examples don't need to be a big deal, but they need to show your analytical ability and problem solving skills. Lots of step by step walk throughs of scenarios and how you've handled things in the past.

The onsite interview consisted of two hangouts with people in another office and two people on site. Everyone was really professional, friendly, and intelligent. Following the onsite interview, the hiring committee presumably gave me a green light and then began the lengthy process of executive review. After the first round of executive review, I had to do a second phone interview (not sure why) which consisted of three behavioral and hypothetical questions in the same vein as the others. Got an offer a week later and accepted.

Negotiation Details – It was much more than accepted so I didn't negotiate. Offer didn't seem negotiable, but I also didn't ask.

Austin, TX

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process took a total to 2.5 weeks. I spoke with a sourcer of the onsite staffing agency who helped prep me and get my into a final round interview. I had 1 phone screen with the onsite recruiter, 1 prep session and then a final interview with Google via Google hangout since I was not local to the position I was applying.

The process of working with the onsite recruiter was great.. props nelson staffing. But my Google hangout with 2 different men on the Google staff was not impressive at all. Both guys I met with seemed totally invested in something else... almost if they had made up their minds before turning on the camera...and were both late getting to the hangout. The first guy only looked at the computer screen for maybe 40% of the time and looked so relaxed (hat, sweatshirt, jeans) and had his chair leaned so far back that he may as well have had his feet up on the desk. No energy or enthusiasm. I understand they have a pretty relaxed environment but from a recruiting standpoint I expected a little effort to woo/impress me as one of the most recognized companies in the world.

The second guy I spoke with looked at the screen more than the first guy and asked question after question.. really on an QAQ basis.. but only asked typical questions... which really uncovers nothing about who I am and my capabilities....

I left the hangout very puzzled.. and somewhat panicked. I've never been on a job interview that didn't result in an offer so I hope that portrays my interviewing capability.

If I didn't know I was applying for Google I would have left the interview not interested at all.

OVERALL... I felt like they were very unprofessional and had made up their minds before they even met with me. I interviewed on a Thursday and its now a week out and I haven't heard anything back. I sent a follow up 4 days after..still nothing..

Not impressed, and not what I expected from the amazing GOOGLE.

Recruiters hiring recruiter can sometimes be tough in the sense of maybe feeling that you are hiring someone you will compete with.. and I understand that.

Very odd experience. Maybe my expectations were too high? Who knows! It was nothing like I expected.

Interview Question – What was the biggest mistake you have made a s recruiter?

If you had to choose a new location for a new Google complex what location would you choose and why?
-How would you measure your success of your location a year later?

If Page asked me to recruiter the 10 best programmers from Australia how would I approach it?
  Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I applied through a posting on Google's website and was contacted by a recruiter about one week later. I had a 30-minute phone screen with the recruiter, in which we developed a really good rapport, and was then invited for an on-site interview 2 weeks later. The on-site interview took about 1.5 hours and consisted of meeting individually with 3 team members on the Sourcing team. They each asked different sets of questions (1st about my overall experience with Recruiting and Sourcing, 2nd about my strengths/weaknesses in these roles, and 3rd about my successes/failures).
By the time the 3rd team member came in the room (and it was a nice small room with one table and 2 chairs, with a window overlooking an outdoor area complete with tranquil pond), I felt exhausted from the lines of questioning. The questions weren't that difficult; they were just asked in a certain way and order that made me second-guess every answer I gave the interviewers (one type of interviewing strategy). The 3rd team member seemed more serious and less "warm" than the previous 2, and didn't like some of my answers (especially those involving math, i.e. "If you screen x-number of resumes, conduct x-number of phone interviews, etc. - how many on-sites should you have for a position?") We really didn't connect very well with each other. As he walked me out of the building at the end of the interview, I knew in my heart that my Google dreams might be dead in the water.
Overall, I felt very privileged to have been invited to the Googleplex, and hopefully one day I will find a position with Google that fits my skill set more closely than the Sourcer role.

Interview Question – "What is a VMS/MSP?" (very unexpected question, coming from someone who had previously worked in the contingent staffing industry)   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2010.

Interview Details – Google's interview process is disappointingly horrible. First interviewer was about 13 minutes late (which was ok since I understand that they are busy... but still...) He walked in with a scowl on his face. Apparently my existence in the room royally pissed him off. He asked me how I had heard about the opportunity and I told him it was through someone from one of my LinkedIn groups. He asked which group and I honestly couldn't remember. I am a member of multiple groups, who knows which group the msg came from? He looked really mad that I didn't remember. He didn't really care about me & wrapped up the interview really fast.

Secondly I interviewed on a Friday and they told me I'd hear back on Monday or Tuesday. Never happened. i did receive an email from my recruiter Monday morning. That was the LAST I EVER HEARD FROM HER, EVER. She completely fell off the planet after that. I decided to not seem pushy & wait. So I waited for the rest of the week. I decided to give a call the week after & left my recruiter a voice message. I left her a very nice one. I never heard from her. Again I agonized for a week. After that, the week after I TRACKED DOWN THE SOURCER WHOM I INITIALLY TALKED TO THE VERY FIRST TIME, and she didn't remember who I was. I had to tell her details about me. Then she put me on hold! Then she came back & in a very snobby manner said that they were passing on me. I was thinking, "what? How come I haven't been informed? Why I am having to reach out to YOU, who was never part of this whole process to find out? What happened to my recruiter who was supposed to tell me?" I said something nice to try to draw out some more info from her. She just in a very dismissing way that she was supposed to let me know their decision but that she had too much to do!

What a group of people who have no respect for anyone! They are only nice to you if they think they want to hire you. Once they decide they don't want you, they toss you aside & treat you like a 3rd class citizen.

What a horrible process. I've lost respect for the Google name.

Interview Question – How many positions did you fill in a month?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in March 2008.

Interview Details – The interview lasted about 2.5 hours and I met with some great people in the staffing department. Everyone was professional and friendly. I felt that the questions reflected the position and my background. Definitely one of the more challenging interviews I've been a part of.

Interview Question – Describe in detail sourcing methods you've used.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I got my asking price.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Sourcer interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.