Google

55 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

User Experience Researcher Interview

User Experience Researcher

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – After being contacted by a recruiter, I submitted my resume. Next, I was called for a phone interview. The questions seemed very scripted and it felt like more of a phone screen, with a mix of questions about my background as well as technical questions (research technical q's - not programming). The interviewer was a little brusque, which was a bit off-putting. A week later I had second phone interview, which was quite pleasant: The interviewer asked about my areas of interest and research background, and shared their thoughts on what working at Google is like. I think it was at least a week after the second phone interview that I was invited onsite. The onsite consisted of a presentation followed by 4 1-1 interviews. (I had one week to prepare the presentation.) Everyone was very friendly and asked good, tough questions. I felt like there was more focus on how I answered and approached questions rather than a "right" answer. It was quite a few weeks until I heard back from the recruiter that I passed the hiring committee. After that, I had a follow up interview with the person who would later become my manager. One week after that, I had an offer which seemed very competitive. Overall the process took 2.5 months.

Interview Question – Here are a few questions I was asked:
- How do you know if you are asking the right research questions for a project?
- How do you know when a project is "done"?
- How would you design an engagement metric for a job website?
- Define p value
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was difficult, and in the end I took the original offer, which was very competitive anyway.

Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details – Submission of a self evaluation form v. many dimension 8 levels of competence for each.
I chose 4 for a few, which was described as, feeling comforable with area, whereas 5 was being able to work without reference. 8 meant, "I have writen a book on the subject".
Telephone interview of about 45 minutes, mostly ad hoc technical questions. Lever 4 was seem, in the interview, as "expert", which I would have thought to be 5 or higher.
Mostly puzzle questions but clearly targeted at new graduate. The question that completely threw me was, "How many bits are on in the binary representation of 2024?". The gentleman later claimed to have said, 1024, which would have been child's play.

Interview Question – What is the UNIX signal to do X?
(Having not worked at this low level for sometime, I didn't guess but said that I could not answer that directly.)
  Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Google in January 2012.

Interview Details – 1 HR screening, (number of bit in mac address, 3 first packet in tcpip connection, what a AAAA record
2 Phone interview, (tcpdump, coding question,)
1 on site interview, with 5 face 2 face interview , for that you have to sign an nda.

Interview Question – coding question on google doc, for the preliminary steps, than on site interview are challenging   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Technical Program Manager
Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The interview process was surprisingly long and complicated, yet didn't feel as effective as shorter processes elsewhere. There was at least one phone interview as well as a series of interviews on-site over two separate days!

Interview Question – Deep dive into wall clock performance of software based on access speed of different types of storage.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate (but should have) — if they want you they'll pay for you.

Very Difficult Interview

Site Reliability Engineering Interview

Site Reliability Engineering
Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – The whole process is planned but it is not much clear on what is targeted.
After recruiter pre-screen, technical and challenging series of interviews followed..
Even the recruiter asks direct technical questions. Technical interviewers are outstanding in knowledge.

Interview Question – Recruiter asked about complexity of the Quick Sort algorithm   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online then got an email from a recruiter and set up a phone interview with one of Google's engineers. Questions about algorithms. THey asks about merge sort, and the complexity to merge sort. Then to expand the functionality of merge sort to rot unlimited number of lists.

Interview Question – How to sort unlimited number of ordered lists? What data structure will you use to represent the lists or the list of lists?   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in August 2013.

Interview Details – - Contacted via mail
- Asked to self-evaluate myself on various topics
- One "placement" phone inteview: one is asked ca 3 specific questions for a number of fields (programming languages, networking, data structures, algorithms, system administration, etc). Questions are trivial if you have knowledge in the field.
- Two technical phone interviews (ca 45 min each), topics like coding/algorithms and troubleshooitng. One will have to code on a shared document and describe ideas/reasoning.
- 5 on-site interviews, 45min each, 1:1 with an engineer. There are two coding/algorithms interviews, one troubleshooting, one non-abstract large-scale system design and one depending on your skills, such as system administration or a third coding interview (the recruiter will suggest a possible topic when organizing the on-site interviews, but you are free to opt for another one).

The topics of the interviews are always communicated in advance. Ca 1 week between the phone interviews, for the on-site interviews you will get asked what dates best suit you (in the near future).

Interview Question – Questions pretty much as expected. However, the level of the phone interviews was lower compared to the on-site interviews (that is, it was easier to pass them).   Answer Question

Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Couple years ago head hunter called me, after introduction, she asked me to rate myself in couple of skills she had on the list. The she asked about 10 simple technical questions. It was very nice talking with her. Next she has scheduled screening call with SRE engineer.
SRE engineer called me on the phone. Call quality was poor, so I asked him to switch to skype. He was resistant, but accepted that in the end. He first appeared with camera on, but then he turned it off, he didn't want us to see each other. He seemed tired, or nervous. He went mechanically asking questions he had on his list and typing in my answers. I didn't like this call. I don't think we've went through to the end of his questions list. There was no more calls. I've only received rejection email.

Interview Question – What is the difference between switch and hub? Explain in detail.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2013.

Interview Details – One short phone interview with the recruiter then a one hour phone interview with an engineer. I did the coding part fairly quickly with a few minor errors. Then got stuck and nervious when he asked about the complexity. The correct answer didn't come immediately to me and I started talking nonsense without even realising it. Then we chatted about another problem without coding and I enjoyed it, it was him making up different scenarios and me finding the potential solutions and discussing them. I think that's the reason I didn't make it further. They mailed me the same day saying I do not match their position.

Interview Question – I stumbled on the question about the complexity of a very simple algorithm, which now seems very stupid.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – As it's well known google follows a 3 interview process. I had 3 interviews and they were spanned across 2 months.

The first and the second interview were both general interview discussing the work I had done and then commenting on it.

The last and the final interview was a challenging one. I was asked about my future aim aim and how as an intern I can benefit Google. The asked me as an intern how would I fit in the corporate environment. Lastly they asked me a design question which did not a have a fixed problem to see my design thinking.

Interview Question – How would you benifit Google as an intern!!!!   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google interview questions and advice in Switzerland. All 55 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.