Google

3.5

62 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Applied through a referral, had two rounds of interviews. Two rounds of algorithmic questions. One around discussing teams I could be interested to work with and discussion of ways to solve a particular problem they were having. I am not sure if this was for more team matching or an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Open ended question involving considerations of how to send a huge file over a network.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in December 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter 2 months ago. Then there was an initial phone-screen with HR. After that I was asked to fill a questionnaire about my background and preferences. Technical interviews were held at Google Hangouts - 2 interviews one by one. Interviewers were very friendly and ready to help. I don't know yet if I passed them or not.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about binary trees, bit representation, probability theory.   Answer Question

Dev Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google.

I sent my resume through their careers page for interns. I was scheduled an interview about a month later, where I had two phone interviews with two engineers from one of their German offices. Each interview was about 45-60 minutes, with a small break in between. The communication was a bit of an issue, since the first interviewer could not get Hangouts to work, and had to call me on my phone which had a very bad connection. The second interview went better, but the interviewer did not give a lot of response in general (seemed kind of uninterested).

Interview Questions
    • Design a regex that can parse all valid dates (YYYY-MM-DD) between two given dates.   Answer Question
    • Given a black and white image (represented by a two dimensional array with bytes of ones and zeroes, where each bit is a pixel), rotate it vertically.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I first was contacted by a Google recruiter on LinkedIn. During the initial online meeting I was brought up to speed on how the recruiting process works at Google. I decided to take on the challenge and the recruiter arranged the initial technical screening, which was conducted online as well. The intial technical screening seemed fair to me, starting with a moderate problem that can be solved in many ways, ensued by a more intricate problem where a couple of hints helped me to get it right. After a few days I got the positive answer from the recruiter and I was invited to the Google Zurich office for the on-site interview, which took place about a month later at my request. The on-site interview was tough, don't expect any less. Each of the 5 sessions started with a moderate question that can be solved with adequate training (e.g. LeetCode). And each of the sessions will become more difficult after solving the initial problem - the interviewer wants to see you reach your limits. Expect to be mentally drained when leaving the Google office. After two weeks of waiting I got feedback from the recruiter and was informed that I did not qualify for the job after all. My impression is that Google is looking for people who excel in specific areas, not allrounders. And don't expect them to be impressed by any soft/language skills you might bring along.

Interview Questions
    • One of the sessions was about system design. The question was extremely vague but the questions I was asked were very specific. I guess the biggest part of the solution was to infer what exactly the interviewer was getting at.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

Was contacted by recruiter who set up two phone interviews within a week. After the interviews I received a mail with a few days saying they wanted me to come onsite. This was also swiftly organized and I visited the offices two weeks later. Between the phone interviews and the onsite I was also given the opportunity to follow an online tutorial about interviewing at google.

Interview Questions
    • There were two system design questions. Was asked to implement DFS with a twist.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

The interview process was surprisingly long and complicated, yet didn't feel as effective as shorter processes elsewhere. There was at least one phone interview as well as a series of interviews on-site over two separate days!

Interview Questions
    • Deep dive into wall clock performance of software based on access speed of different types of storage.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate (but should have) — if they want you they'll pay for you.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Submission of a self evaluation form v. many dimension 8 levels of competence for each.
    I chose 4 for a few, which was described as, feeling comforable with area, whereas 5 was being able to work without reference. 8 meant, "I have writen a book on the subject".
    Telephone interview of about 45 minutes, mostly ad hoc technical questions. Lever 4 was seem, in the interview, as "expert", which I would have thought to be 5 or higher.
    Mostly puzzle questions but clearly targeted at new graduate. The question that completely threw me was, "How many bits are on in the binary representation of 2024?". The gentleman later claimed to have said, 1024, which would have been child's play.

Interview Questions
    • What is the UNIX signal to do X?
      (Having not worked at this low level for sometime, I didn't guess but said that I could not answer that directly.)

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

It was challenging and very nervous. There are two phone interviews. On the first interview, there were two problems. On the next interview, I needed to write simple code.
    In general, the interview process was organized very well.

Interview Questions
    • You are given an array of numbers. Rearrange elements in the array according to the following order: a1 <= a2 >= a3....   View Answer

Software Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in February 2014.

I have been contacted several times by many recruiters but I have always thought I am not ready to even try. I have tried twice by now, however.
    I guess there are quite many reviews on this king company here, so there's not much use for me to get into details.
    I have failed both interviews quite quickly.
    First one was in the Moscow office since I am located in Moscow. It was approximately 7 years ago. I was given a fairly simple algorithm task and was unable to solve it. Unfortunately I don't remember what the task was.
    Last time was half a year ago. I had a phone interview. Initially it was scheduled for a special time and in an hour prior to an interview (when I was already home after a rush from the office and all nervous and ready) I received a letter stating that the interviewer can't make it. Made me REALLY pissed. But we rescheduled in two weeks, during which I brought myself to almost a nervous breakdown trying to prepare.
    So I failed right away when I got a technical question on the phone screen, it was a very easy question concerning bitwise operations - I have totally skipped the paragraph on it in my preparations, which was wrong. I was also given a piece of code and asked what wrongs I could find in it. It was not too hard, but still had me thinking, although I have used the language at hand for a long time (I always think these types of questions aren't too representative since mainly no one uses that poor style of coding or features that exist but are not much needed in common life.)
    They still have me on their lists and have recently written to confirm we are still in touch.

Interview Questions
    • Bitwise operations (don't remember much). It was just unexpected because I skipped the needed paragraph while preparing   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2014.

After being contacted by a recruiter, I submitted my resume. Next, I was called for a phone interview. The questions seemed very scripted and it felt like more of a phone screen, with a mix of questions about my background as well as technical questions (research technical q's - not programming). The interviewer was a little brusque, which was a bit off-putting. A week later I had second phone interview, which was quite pleasant: The interviewer asked about my areas of interest and research background, and shared their thoughts on what working at Google is like. I think it was at least a week after the second phone interview that I was invited onsite. The onsite consisted of a presentation followed by 4 1-1 interviews. (I had one week to prepare the presentation.) Everyone was very friendly and asked good, tough questions. I felt like there was more focus on how I answered and approached questions rather than a "right" answer. It was quite a few weeks until I heard back from the recruiter that I passed the hiring committee. After that, I had a follow up interview with the person who would later become my manager. One week after that, I had an offer which seemed very competitive. Overall the process took 2.5 months.

Interview Questions
    • Here are a few questions I was asked:
      - How do you know if you are asking the right research questions for a project?
      - How do you know when a project is "done"?
      - How would you design an engagement metric for a job website?
      - Define p value

Answer Question
    Negotiation was difficult, and in the end I took the original offer, which was very competitive anyway.