Google Technical Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.7

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Applied to the TAM position on Google Career section. Got a call where the HR person talked to me about the job. After little chat and finding that it is a good fit. He explained the next step and what to expect during a technical interview. Even though it is a TAM, the interview will involve coding questions.

Interview Questions
  • Initial Phone interview is a simple chat and get to know about the job and your skillset   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Initially, the recruiter contacted me for a phone screen. Then scheduled a google hangout interview with a technical account manager. Received a reject email few days after the interview. The interview consists of Algorithms ; web programming ; behavioral questions. Nothing was hard. Many questions were not very technical.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Google interview process can be time-consuming and complex. You are phone screened by two recruiters before they set you up for two levels of technical interviews online. If you impressed the online interviewers with all the smart answers, and finished writing a computer program (with working solution) on the fly within the minutes they set up for you, you would be invited to a full-day interview onsite with three different interviewers. Finally, a hiring committee decides hire or no-hire with votes and scores.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in December 2013.

Applied through their website, got a call back 2-3 weeks later and was scheduled for an initial 30 minutes phone screen. The first phone call was simply to let me know about the role and what it entailed and if I had any questions. She explained the interview process.

Second interview was a 45-60 minute google hangout interview with a senior technical account manager. The questions asked were pretty technical and were mostly all related to web technologies and how to display ads on a page.

Questions I got:
    1. Tell me about a time where you had to say No to a client.
    2. Imagine you work at a small startup, and you have a small website. Your lawyer comes in and asks you to take down a webpage because there is a bad image that was uploaded on your page and an advertiser is threatening to sue you. You must act immediately. How can you proceed to remove the ad/shutdown the web page.
    3. Imagine you are a startup with a similar service to gmail and you are running on a single server. Your service is becoming very popular and things are starting to be very slow for the users. how can you improve your performance with the limited budget you have as a startup.
    4. You work at Noogle, a startup just like google that focuses on selling advertisement space for publishers and gains revenues through clients clicking the ads and advertisers paying you per click. Overnight, your revenue declined 50%. What can you do to understand why revenue has declined?

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Google.

1 phone call with the technical recruiter, ~30mins.

1 phone call with the Technical Account Manager, ~45mins
       - Project questions
       - Behavioral questions
       - Google document: Algorithm + DS questions

Interview Questions
    • I didn't pay attention to time/space complexity of the code.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Fairly long and drawn out, even relative to other positions at Google:

1.) Recruiter contact/interest screen
    2.) Technical phone screen focused on problem solving and general technical ability
    3.) Technical phone screen focused on coding and design
    4.) Four-plus hour (with lunch) on-site interview round covering design/architecture/problem solving, sales and client facing skills, and coding
    5.) Group presentation followed by a Q&A panel session (at the end of the onsite round)

Coding questions are somewhat more difficult than average, but still nowhere near as challenging as those you'd typically get in a software engineering interview at a very selective company. That said, given the number of hats you're expected to wear in this role, questions will cover a wide breadth of topics which makes the overall difficulty of the interview fairly high.

Interview Questions
    • A number of IT-related questions about systems and networking which weren't terribly familiar to me; my background is concentrated in math, algorithms and theoretical computer science.   Answer Question

Several reasons:
    1.) I was independently promoted and received a very substantial increase in compensation from my current employer (i.e. not a counteroffer, but natural progression) around the same time.
    2.) The position seemed likely to take my career in a direction that wasn't terribly interesting to me.
    3.) Compensation wasn't competitive with other opportunities I was considering around the same time, including remaining in my current position (with promotion).

In short, it was modestly enticing, but only just; I wasn't really motivated to accept it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2012.

Asked a friend to send resume to recruiting. Got contacted by recruiter in a few weeks. First phone interview was ok, interviewer asked a combination of normal questions and brain teaser questions. Google is the only company I know asking brain teaser questions (how many beach balls can be fit into a room, really!). Passed that. Second interview within 2 weeks. This time more technical, which I passed. Then an onsite interview where I talked to a hiring manager, 3 other people on the team. Out of these 4, 2 were fairly easy focusing more on why you want to work here, how you solve problem etc. 1 were fairly difficult focusing on a specific problem. I got close to the root cause but took a while. 1 were really difficult (because I have not worked in that area) but I think I eventually arrived at a solution but may have taken too long or required too much prompting. In the end I didn't get the job because the team were looking for more technical depth outside of my core expertise area, which is OK. The interview process was well managed, recruiter was great to work with. Only grip I have is they ask you brain teaser question which has nothing to do with doing the job, and they spend a lot of time grilling you in areas you have told them you have little to no experience.

Interview Questions
    • How do you build an algorithm to check for two files with identical content in the most efficient way   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2011.

After 1st round of screening through phone and 2nd round of interviewing with a potential manager, I was brought to final round of interviews at the actual NYC office. The final face-to-face interview consisted of meeting 4 senior level Googlers from different departments. Two were through webcam conferences and two I met in person.

Recruiter was very nice and walked me through the process diligently. One thing I didn't like about the process was that although the recruiter told me that Google was trying to avoid those off-the-wall difficult crazy interviewing questions, I was not prepared for some case interview and estimation type questions that I had not prepared before. They were keen to try to find analytical qualities in me and since I did badly on those case-type questions, I feel like I was not able to show those qualities adequately. If I knew they would ask market-size questions or case questions, I definitely would have read a book or two beforehand to prepare more.

The decision process after the final interview actually took 1~2 weeks which sounds shorter than it seemed at the time.

Interview Questions
    • Your client wants to estimate the market size for jeans in the U.S. How would you go about doing that?   View Answer
    • If your customer calls you on the phone and tells you her light-bulb is broken, how would you go about fixing the problem on the phone?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Bruno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2011.

I felt the recruiting/HR process was messy and my recruiter didn't communicate with me very well. I tried to ask questions along the way to help me prepare, but her responses were short and unprofessional. The phone interview was pretty average and lasted for maybe 30 minutes. I heard back within a few days to schedule an onsite interview with 3-4 people. I ended up only having 2 onsite interviews since the third person was on a vacation. My recruiter was a no show, so someone else helped me out. The technical interview felt off topic for the position and didn't go well. Overall, the process made me like Google less and I wonder how a company this big can have such a flawed process. After my messy onsite day, I was assigned a new recruiter who was very helpful, so I guess it was just bad luck! Since I like Google and the products, I'd apply again!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chelsea, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelsea, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2010.

Google initially responded to my application just prior to September of 2010, and scheduled a phone interview that proved quite pleasant. I next had a phone interview with their Manager of Technical Account Management Services on 9/3/2010, which also proved affable, informative and promising. My third round interview, held in-person at their Chelsea office in New York, occurred on 9/9/2010. This was easily the most difficult interview I have participated in, with brain-teaser questions as well as more content-driven questions about website monetizing and so on. The onsite interview seemed surprisingly disorganized; I met with a different group of people than indicated at first. Everyone at the office seemed intelligent and satisfied, and all of my interviewers were courteous and professional.

Interview Questions
    • You have 78 pencils, 51 files, 152 paintbrushes and 142 felt tip pens. How many writing pads do you need?   View Answers (2)

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!