Google Technical Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There was one phone call interview with another TPM, and then another phone call with engineer.
I'm still in the interview process

The first interview included questions on project management concepts
The second call was an engineering test - simple coding exercise followed by system design question

Through the entire process I'm in touch with a recruiter regarding the next steps and times.

Interview Questions

• - compare agile to waterfall methodologies
    - how do you handle new requirement in the middle of the project
    - how do you estimate project's expected work for a new project without history

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Plano, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

My interview was very professional,and the Interviewer was the Hiring Manager Him self.
    He was very Gentle ,Understanding,and giving me Enough time to Express my vision in answering Qusns.
    In fact , I was in this position before, and Gain new experience from this interview,and will utilize it in my Career life where needed.The interview was Technical & direct to the answer ,No Hide or tricks there, I felt the interest of hiring from Google side as I much I'm too.I could answer question where ever i have skills & experience.and I'd apologized for the question where i did not have experience, I was knowing how the Negotiation Techniques for the procurement part he was looking for,and informed him.But i was not the person who used to do that within my teams in previous Positions/Past Jobs.He was happy that i was very transparent "I wanted to be my self ,Exactly as my skills are!!".
    I strongly believe, If God wanted me to get Hired will get it,and Skills/Experience/Qualifications/Connections are factors of Success to get Hired.
    After the Interview,I felt I should thank Google for giving me chance of Expressing myself.
    I'm thankful to the Hiring Manager/Interviewer & to the Tech. Recruiter for their professional attitude seen clearly Before/during and after the interview too.

Interview Questions

• The questions were clear & direct to the answers, might took time from me during the interview it self to reply directly to the point the Hiring Manger needed,But it is very hard to Summarize Decade/s of your Career experience in few Lines presented in Resume, Or Minutes during the Interview.   1 Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Interview

I just had my first phone screen and don't know the result yet. Basically standard PMP answers are expected. Questions I was asked are project stages, project constraints (hinted by golden triangle), project closure and critical path. I frankly stated I am not familiar with PMP terms and will answer according to my work experience. After two questions I was told to give short answers so I am not optimistic to my result when PMP standard answers are expected. I learned from this forum so hopefully my sharing will help some who are interested in Google TPM job.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2015.

Interview

Initial round is the recruiter (over the phone: 30min) yet still very detailed surrounding project vs program management. Next round is a Program Manager (over the phone(45-60min) that the position reports into. He was also very detail oriented in regards specific project management areas, terms, behaviarol, situational, etc. Fairly standard but does much more of a deep dive and problems that arise with the answer you just gave. Next round was with a software engineer (on the phone 45-60min) who tests your coding knowledge while sharing a google doc where they can see you writing your code. From what he told me, everybody has to basically know code whether you use it or not because Google is a "coding culture". This makes sense and it is also used as a guage for problem solving.

Interview Questions

• Recruiter: Program vs Project management, constraints of project management, path of project management, situational questions regarding running a project.
      Program Manager: How would you deploy a solution for cloud computing to build in redundancy for the compute cluster (explain from beginning to end(inception to run and maintain))? What is critical path and explain in a situation. No matter how much detail I explained, the interviewer always asked for additional details in an almost argumentative nature.
      Software Engineer: Very quick and to the point, no questions on history or what you have done, just problem sets. How would you code a reverse string (no built-in functions can be used) so code function from scratch. How would you multiply or add base 3 numbers?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

applied online, got a recruiter call after a month and pretty straight forward questions with the recruiter, and person from hiring team interview was scheduled after a week. it was all general questions and like casual talk. I don't think I've answered bad but they never called me back.
    I felt like interview was like formality to get it through, never felt it was serious. And they do black list if they don't like you since i was talking to another recruiter for another position and after the first casual interview I never heard back from first or another recruiter anymore. It doesn't make sense at all.

Interview Questions

• Recruiter said interview will be based on role based questions, behavioral questions, situation questions and giggly questions but i was only asked on few general role related questions and few PMI questions.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

My first phone interview needed to be rescheduled because the interviewer had to leave for an emergency. It would have been nice that I was informed about this, so I would not wait for hours to receive the phone call. The second interviewer called on time. The recruiter was helpful through the process.

Interview Questions

• If you can ascend a staircase two different way, i.e. one step at a time or skipping one step, how many possible ways to climb this staircase?   Answer Question
    • If you find a very critical bug in software on the day before its scheduled release date, how would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2015.

Interview

Actually interviewed twice in a month for two slightly different positions. Each time it was 5 interviews over 4 hours (45 minutes each). Lots of behavioral questions, a few hypothetical scenarios, not too many programing problems. Both times, it was clear that the job wasn't that interesting or really a good fit for my experience, but the interview schedule is inflexible and you must do all of the interviews.

It was fun to see the NY and Mountain View campuses, but in the end it was a waste of time for everyone involved.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would build a <bunch of jargon>.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Initially contacted via HR phone call. Set up 2 rounds of phone interviews and an onsite interview. HR person responded within a week to each interview. Overall good experience and will likely reapply when I am better suited for future roles.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in December 2014.

Interview

Four entire process included an initial phone interview with the boss that lasted probably 45 minutes. The actual forma interview consisted of four 45-minute interviews with lunch with the boss in the middle. Each interviewer was supposed to focus on a different area but I noticed that many of the questions were the same.

Interview Questions

• What are the top five things that go wrong during a project?   1 Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter when our company was being considered for a merger/ acquisition. Coordinating an interview took nearly 6 weeks, as the recruiter informed me they were having trouble finding the appropriate interviewers. When I finally had my phone screen the interviewer wasn't even aware of the role I was applying for. The M&A process fell through and I never heard back from the recruiter. Overall the experience and felt disorganized.

Interview Questions

• The questions for the TPM roll or not that difficult for me as I have an engineering background. Most questions were about thinking programmatically and algorithmically. None of the questions were real world examples they were all hypotheticals.   Answer Question