Google

Google Technical Writer Interview Questions

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

Was contacted by the recruiter because of my degree in computer science and coding languages listed on Linkedin. Recruiter not a good communicator. Even thought I misunderstood the date and time of interview. I did not. Unfortunately, my IQ is not low enough to get to his level.

Interview Questions
  • The recruiter stated he did not think I could talk to developers and insisted I had little to no development background even with my CS degree and years of coding experience. He never gave me an opportunity to discuss what programming I did after education. He stated, oh, just academic. I usually list my education first, then my experience. He would not listen.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Technical Writer Interview

Applied online, received an email request two weeks later for writing samples and some exercises. Sent those in, then spoke with a recruiter a week later, then had a phone interview with a technical writer a few days later. Recruiter phone called a day later to inform me I was declined for the role.

Questions were mostly focused on past experience. Just one non-technical hypothetical.

Technical Writer Interview

Applied, phone call month later.

Interview Questions
    • Fewer abstract qs than expected, more rigorous abt prior exp   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2013.

Initial interview was very casual but did include technical questions on product features and data structures. Definitions mostly. No coding but the expectation was that you know your programming constructs. Interviewer was very personable and light hearted.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer did not know which team the opening was on so could not describe the position. Since there was no description from the recruiter, it made it hard to prepare for the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in November 2011.

Excessive number of hoops and delays before actual face to face and after being hired. Smooth interview, helpful team members. Bad news: those who were in favor of the role I came in to perform were great. Those opposed did not attend the interview or any review meetings AFTER I was hired, nor did they offer any help, other than egregious complaints.

Interview Questions
    • Badly written requirements, code comments. Resolve.   View Answer
    Had a recruiter...piece of cake.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2010.

Responded to a job posting at a local school. Received a phone interview and a half-day onsite interview. My recruiter was nice and very attentive. The questions were straightforward. I was interviewed by two engineers and two technical writers.

Interview Questions
    • All my questions were straightforward, although they focused on computer science topics rather than writing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Google in March 2008.

Contractor interview process was 30 minute phone screen and four 45 minute interviews. Converted to FT w/o more interviewing--just application, resume, team recommendations, and portfolio of work.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly process questions. No specific question stood out.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

A recruiter from Google contacted me on LinkedIn. I passed a phone screen, submitted writing samples, and did a writing test. I took a day off work for the writing test, and I'm very glad that I did. It was very intense. Where there was a choice of topics, I suspect that it was important to choose the more difficult/technical one. (I did not, and my interview process ended after the writing test.)