Google Test Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

13 interviews

3.3

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Test Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

i gave my resume to a google employee in our school job fair, 1 month later i've got an email from google and they said they want to set an appointment with me at specific time. I've requested to postpone my interview so that i could prepare myself and they accepted... so, in the day of interview i've received a phone call from google, he was really nice and friendly, my first question was " if i give you a large document including text and numbers, n i ask you to retrieve just phone numbers, how will you do that? with which library of tool?"...and my second question was about santa-secret game, "if you want to make a list of students in the class who everyone give exactly 1 gift and everyone can receive exactly one gift, how you would do that?"...i wasn't sure about the first question that moment and i have no idea why he asked me such a question, and the answer of second one was using hash table.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

I applied for a position online and after a week I got contacted by a recruiter and did some initial background screening. After this I went through 1 phone interviews.

After the phone interview I had a campus interview at Google headquarters. This consist of 4, 45 min interviews and 1 lunch interview. I'm not going to go into detail on the questions because of google NDA, but I have to say that out of the 4 interviews, 3 of them were really bad. They wouldn't even pay attention to you half the time and be doing something on their laptop. One interview I asked if a test case I wrote is the correct behavior and he said yes at first, but afterwords said no it's the opposite behavior which messed me up. I didn't feel like I struggle on any of the interviews, or they were difficult, but if the interviewer are very cold and not even pay attention to you, it can make it hard to get hired.

1/4 interviewers gave me a positive interview experience. I personally don't like when I am interviewing with a interviewer and they don't understand their own question or aren't paying attention.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Google.

Contacted via Recruiter. Asked if i prefer SDET / Test Engineer. I chose Test Engineer as I had more of a QA background. This was followed by a phone interview at a date I selected. I chose a date 2 weeks after the day recruiter called me for phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Write test cases for widgets which pop out when you do Google Search. For e.g, tan x, convert 60kgs to pounds etc. You don't have to necessarily go into details of individual widget testing but more general scenarios testing this functionality of invoking widgets via the search toolbar   Answer Question
    • Given a linked list and a value k, give the kth element from the last   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Initially contacted by recruiter. Gave a list of tentative dates. A google engineer took my interview, nothing difficult, I was able to answer most of the questions. His review was good and he mentioned I will be contacted by the recruiter shortly for the next steps. Recruiter said I was not selected.

Test Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Recruiter was disorganized and very condescending. Pretty annoying to deal with.

Interviewers were mostly very professional and friendly. Interesting problems to solve. A few of the interviewers never looked up from their laptops and spoke in a weird monotone. I guess Google doesn't hire people based on social skills.

Interview Questions
    • Various theoretical mathematical questions that have little to do with test engineering or test automation.   Answer Question

Offered a very junior position when I've been in the industry for a long time.

Anonymous Employee  in  Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in February 2012.

No Hiring. Was interviewed at Kirkland for Test Engineer Position. Interview contains five technique interviews. Most were focusing on algorithms.

Interview Questions
    • There is one questions related to finding a median number from millions of rows. I used histogram to solve the problem, but did not answer well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Google in June 2011.

They provided a list of items to study. I had 2 1 hour whiteboard interviews with two engineers. I described my resume and solved some algorithm on the whiteboard. The first interviewer was the Manager and he was more intersted in how I would fit with the team and my interest in the different projects. His technical questions were few but he did ask how to test some functions. The other guy was a SDET and his questions were all technical and I spent most of the interview writing code.

Interview Questions
    • Find the max and second largest max in an array of integers. What is run time? How to test function?   View Answer
    • Describe how to test the Google search bar.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2011.

Interview consisted of 4 sessions. Each one focused on programing questions - algorithm, coding followed by "how would you test it" type of questions. Few of them asked about test methodologies, my projects.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sorted array of integers, write a function to remove any duplicates. Give algorithm, then code and finally list how you would test your program.   View Answers (3)
    • Write a program to find depth of binary search tree without using recursion   View Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Tokyo (Japan)
    Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Google.

it started from a phone initial interview. The interviewer went through all the resume.
    A couple of days later I was asked to go to the main office in Tokyo. There I met an engineer which asked me pretty standard questions which everyone can find it in the internet about testing software/Google interview (e.g., how could you test this chair).

Test Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in December 2011.

1 phone call from recruiter and 45 minute technical interview. The position did not match my background or skills at all the technical interview was confused as to why the recruiter set me up for his team. He was also condescending and said everyone in his team had 10+ years experience and that he does "very intense things" ?!

study linked lists. The other questions were algorithm "how would you solve this".

Interview Questions

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!