Google Test Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 6, 2015

3.3

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Interview

A recruiter called me and schedule a phone interview. The interviewer asked me to program on google doc. The question is: Given two int arrays. Find out common numbers and different numbers. I used hashtable to implement the algorithm. I spent too much time for the c++ syntax since i haven't used it for couple years.

Interview Questions

• Given two int arrays. Find out common numbers and different numbers.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Interview

The recruiters were very friendly and on top of things. My first technical interview went terribly. The interviewer was extremely rude. He would ask questions then talk over me when I answered. He tried his best to show that he was smarter than me. I never had a chance from the begining. When my recruiter called to announce my reject, I told her about my experience and about how angry I was. She apologized and set up another technical interview with a different interviewer. This new interviewer was much better. He was friendly and actually told me about himself and asked about me as well.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a friend working at Google. After a phone screen, I was flown in for 5 interviews and a lunch. All 5 of the 45 minute interviews were coding focused. I made a couple of errors in 2 of the interviews and was not able to find them myself and the interviewers had to point me them. The process was super fast and efficient.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, some of the questions were pretty original but I can't disclose because of NDA   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview

i gave my resume to a google employee in our school job fair, 1 month later i've got an email from google and they said they want to set an appointment with me at specific time. I've requested to postpone my interview so that i could prepare myself and they accepted... so, in the day of interview i've received a phone call from google, he was really nice and friendly, my first question was " if i give you a large document including text and numbers, n i ask you to retrieve just phone numbers, how will you do that? with which library of tool?"...and my second question was about santa-secret game, "if you want to make a list of students in the class who everyone give exactly 1 gift and everyone can receive exactly one gift, how you would do that?"...i wasn't sure about the first question that moment and i have no idea why he asked me such a question, and the answer of second one was using hash table.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied for a position online and after a week I got contacted by a recruiter and did some initial background screening. After this I went through 1 phone interviews. After the phone interview I had a campus interview at Google headquarters. This consist of 4, 45 min interviews and 1 lunch interview. I'm not going to go into detail on the questions because of google NDA, but I have to say that out of the 4 interviews, 3 of them were really bad. They wouldn't even pay attention to you half the time and be doing something on their laptop. One interview I asked if a test case I wrote is the correct behavior and he said yes at first, but afterwords said no it's the opposite behavior which messed me up. I didn't feel like I struggle on any of the interviews, or they were difficult, but if the interviewer are very cold and not even pay attention to you, it can make it hard to get hired. 1/4 interviewers gave me a positive interview experience. I personally don't like when I am interviewing with a interviewer and they don't understand their own question or aren't paying attention.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Contacted via Recruiter. Asked if i prefer SDET / Test Engineer. I chose Test Engineer as I had more of a QA background. This was followed by a phone interview at a date I selected. I chose a date 2 weeks after the day recruiter called me for phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Write test cases for widgets which pop out when you do Google Search. For e.g, tan x, convert 60kgs to pounds etc. You don't have to necessarily go into details of individual widget testing but more general scenarios testing this functionality of invoking widgets via the search toolbar   Answer Question
    • Given a linked list and a value k, give the kth element from the last   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Initially contacted by recruiter. Gave a list of tentative dates. A google engineer took my interview, nothing difficult, I was able to answer most of the questions. His review was good and he mentioned I will be contacted by the recruiter shortly for the next steps. Recruiter said I was not selected.

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Interview

Recruiter was disorganized and very condescending. Pretty annoying to deal with. Interviewers were mostly very professional and friendly. Interesting problems to solve. A few of the interviewers never looked up from their laptops and spoke in a weird monotone. I guess Google doesn't hire people based on social skills.

Interview Questions

• Various theoretical mathematical questions that have little to do with test engineering or test automation.   Answer Question

Offered a very junior position when I've been in the industry for a long time.

Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google (Kirkland, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

No Hiring. Was interviewed at Kirkland for Test Engineer Position. Interview contains five technique interviews. Most were focusing on algorithms.

Interview Questions

• There is one questions related to finding a median number from millions of rows. I used histogram to solve the problem, but did not answer well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Google (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

They provided a list of items to study. I had 2 1 hour whiteboard interviews with two engineers. I described my resume and solved some algorithm on the whiteboard. The first interviewer was the Manager and he was more intersted in how I would fit with the team and my interest in the different projects. His technical questions were few but he did ask how to test some functions. The other guy was a SDET and his questions were all technical and I spent most of the interview writing code.

Interview Questions

• Find the max and second largest max in an array of integers. What is run time? How to test function?   1 Answer
    • Describe how to test the Google search bar.   1 Answer