Google

3.5

110 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

I applied online. No reply for 3 weeks. Things started moving after I contacted a sourcer asking what’s the status. It took 2 weeks to arrange the phone interview. Some materials were sent, asking me to prepare and study for the interview. Who has time for that nowadays?

I was interviewed by another product manager. The interview was rushed. It felt like the interviewer was following a script. After a brief introduction, I was bombarded by several abstract open-ended questions. For example:

* What advice would you give to the CEO of Google?
    * Pick something that annoys you about a product and describe how would you eliminate that?
    * How do you calculate how many calories are in a grocery store?

Having years of experience in product management for another globally known consumer company and having interviewed product managers myself, I tried to demonstrate critical thinking and my approach to problem solving, but apparently it was not enough. Perhaps I hesitated a little bit or didn’t describe my approach well enough. I was not sure what the interviewer was looking for, so it was hard to elaborate. It felt like he got stuck with his questions, he didn’t probe enough.

I guess I’m not the fastest thinker when being asked random abstract questions, but then again, this is not a critical factor in succeeding in almost any role. I don’t think the interviewer asked the right questions to evaluate my skills and knowledge.

Finally, he didn’t leave almost any time for questions to him. I usually allocate at least 1/4 of time for questions when I conduct interviews.

Considering the time and effort to go through the interview process and the randomness of getting through the interview, it’s no wonder they miss out on many talented people, who join startups instead.

PS. They declined my suggestion to use Google Hangout for the interview and opted for a phone call instead. I mean, we are in the 21st century already, why not have a video call using their own product?

Interview Questions
    • How many calories are in a grocery store?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Contacted through recruiter. First phone "interview" was with him, we mostly talked about my background and he asked some basic questions such as quicksort, mergesort, etc. The second one was with their engineer and was mostly technical. Now I'm waiting for their response.

Associate, Online Sales & Operations Interview

Applied through a reference, got a call phone interview 2 week later. Phone call interview is general question about individuals. 1 week later got a SKype interview with Head of department

Interview Questions
    • If you have a magic bean, which aspect would you change of Google adword?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

On-site interview at their London office. Had 3 interviews in total, 2 of them were video conferences. Each was 45 minutes. Everyone was very nice. They tried to gauge how much you know and if you don't know a particular area, they'll ask something easier. So it's hard to say how much I could have done more to land the job.

Interview Questions
    • Ask about GLM, how to deal with large number of variables, economic experiments   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google.

It was phone first interview. They want see if you are smart. You can use paper to write down and think. .don't know what else. Nothing to add to already written

STEP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

A recruiter got in touch with me to offer me the chance to interview early for Google's STEP program. After an initial CV screening, they got in touch to arrange an interview date. I had two 45 minute interviews, both over video conference with an engineer from one of their Europe offices. The interviewers each started off with a couple of CV questions. My chosen language was Java and the technical questions were pretty standard, two medium-sized questions per interview (Sadly I was rather inexperienced when it came to interviews...)

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in August 2014.

Through friend's referral. Made it through first two rounds. First with Hr in India then with Hiring Manager. Very informal and relaxed atmosphere. Asked about CV and pitch sales for adword product.

Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I had a lot of calls from the hiring manager based out of UK. They asked a lot of information about my grades in university / college. They also wanted to know if I blog, so its best to have a blog done before you apply.
    As a lot of emphasis is put on grades, its best to position your strong academic skills before them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Applied in November 2013
    HR got in touch in March 2014
    First phone interview in April 2014
    Second in May 2014
    5 On-site interviews in July 2014

HR was super nice.
    One out of the 5 on-site interviewers was super unfriendly (and just came out of the shower w/ wet hair). She presented a graph problem which I considered my speciality. It had one tweak which she explained very badly. I asked her to reexplain the tweak twice. Then I was like "I understood it that way. So I'd do it this way. What do you think?". She then told me to "just implement it". I implemented it very fast. In the meantime, she read my CV. When I concluded, she looked at the code (which was probably 15-20 LoC). She then noticed that the way I handled the tweak was different to what she said. So she was like: "I told you to do it that way. What did you do there?". While I felt a little offended because if she had put a little more effort in explaining it I would have gotten it right away. Her version would have been even easier to implement.

Developer Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Two phone calls, one from the hiring manager and the second one from the manager of the team that was hiring you. The hiring manager said that I was a very good fit for the sole so they wanted to move forward with an interview.

The second interview, by the manager of the team they were hiring for, was good, but not that great. The interviewer was not very friendly, but the interview was ok overall.

At the end they didn't move forward, they wanted someone who was busy 100% of their time coding. Not me for sure, despite that was my background.