Google Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.5

100 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Applied in November 2013
    HR got in touch in March 2014
    First phone interview in April 2014
    Second in May 2014
    5 On-site interviews in July 2014

HR was super nice.
    One out of the 5 on-site interviewers was super unfriendly (and just came out of the shower w/ wet hair). She presented a graph problem which I considered my speciality. It had one tweak which she explained very badly. I asked her to reexplain the tweak twice. Then I was like "I understood it that way. So I'd do it this way. What do you think?". She then told me to "just implement it". I implemented it very fast. In the meantime, she read my CV. When I concluded, she looked at the code (which was probably 15-20 LoC). She then noticed that the way I handled the tweak was different to what she said. So she was like: "I told you to do it that way. What did you do there?". While I felt a little offended because if she had put a little more effort in explaining it I would have gotten it right away. Her version would have been even easier to implement.

Developer Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Two phone calls, one from the hiring manager and the second one from the manager of the team that was hiring you. The hiring manager said that I was a very good fit for the sole so they wanted to move forward with an interview.

The second interview, by the manager of the team they were hiring for, was good, but not that great. The interviewer was not very friendly, but the interview was ok overall.

At the end they didn't move forward, they wanted someone who was busy 100% of their time coding. Not me for sure, despite that was my background.

Interview Questions
    • Algorithm to verify whether a number is prime or not   View Answer

Research Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

They made initial contact via email, then face to face over Hangout. After this I was invited for a 'Quiz' which I was told would last 2 hours. It was on Stats, Math, Computer Programming and Machine Learning. It took 4 hours in total.
    A week later I was told that for the current open positions they needed someone stronger at math, so to get in touch when I felt more confident. I'm in the process of brushing up my math.

Grant Manager, Google Org Interview

They have a very well designed job application system, with all of their jobs listed clearly on their site with clear descriptions. As you would expect from Google, the user experience of submitting an application is very good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

A classic Google process - two phone interviews, then five 1:1 on-site interviews.

The hiring process is well documented and you know what to expect. A few personal tips :

- Think loud. Brainstorm.
    - Don't overcomplicate your solutions. It's better to have working O(N^2) than buggy O(N log N). You can describe the better solution during the discussion later.
    - If you don't see the solution, try to write down a few examples or corner cases. You can observe the solutions from these.
    - Although it's more than recommended to know a wide range of algorithms or data structures, you'll rarely use these during the actual coding. Arrays, conditions and cycles are usually enough.
    - Practice. TopCoder, CodefForces, HackerRank, Codechef... These are the tasks you should expect.
    - Be positive. You've got nothing to lose.

Product Marketing Manager EMEA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

Great process and amazing HR but I don't think that everyone is a "Googler" at Google and that the staff is searching for "Googler". Looks like it's just a HR terminology or something that just a couple of people believe at Google.

I have some doubt about the integrity of staff based in Israel selecting people that will work in London (especially when it comes people with non mainstream ethnicity and background to be PC).

I know I failed because of my lack of SEM tactics but strangely enough the only feedback from HR is that I do not enough strategic think. The interview with the Head Optimization were only about search and extremely tactical ( how to lower your bid, how you use adwords...)

My lesson: I will start spending less media with Google !

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you selected your audience for this campaign your ran 10 year ago?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I was firstly contacted by a recruiter via linkedin. I answered that I am interested in the job, so a first phone conversation was arranged with the recruiter. We discussed some stuff including where I would prefer to go, how to prepare for the interview etc. The recruiter shared a list of books to help me prepare. A phone screening was arranged for a week later. They shared a google doc with me and asked me to write some code there. There were two questions, both simple and easy but examined in great depth. I was asked to give detailed explanations of all test cases and possible failures, time and space complexity.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fairly easy but required a fair amount of general knowledge to answer all the questions around them.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

contract position - phone interview followed by three face to face interviews back to back.

Account Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

The interview process was quite long, I would say about 2 months since initial contact. There are a lot of stages: 1 screen phone call with a recruiter, 1-2 calls with a manager/somebody in a similar position that you're applying for, 3-5 onsite interviews. After these rounds, the application then moves to the hiring committee. I had to prepare additional info for that and send it to my recruiter. I would say this was the most difficult stage because I wasn't exactly sure what was expected of me and how much my input is going to be waged against the interview feedback.

My screen was good. My second interview I thought didn't go very well. I kept having problems with my signal. The behavioral questions were all very specific and I couldn't think of a particular situation that could address the specific concern. For example, the manager asked me to give him three examples of when I dealt with a difficult customer but my reaction has actually revolutionized the way my company dealt with customers since then. Honestly, I didn't have any such experience, so I kind of tried to talk around it but it was obvious he wasn't having it. Overall, I thought he was tough. He was definitely testing me if I had done my homework and prepared for the behavioral questions.

To my surprise I passed to the onsite interviews. Those went amazing. I think they couldn't really have gone better. The best thing is that I felt like I had the opportunity to really express who I was and what I would bring to the company. We talked about the future of Google as a company, about my particular interests to be involved with this future, about the current products, etc. I was actually asked a lot of "big" questions in regards to my overall goals and how they coalesce with the company. I had a really great time.

After the interviews, I had a debriefing with somebody in the same role. That was really nice as I was able to ask a lot of the more personal questions about the office life, the city, and the overall experience. He didn't hesitate to tell me both the good and the bad. Overall, I felt very good about the office. The onsite interviews actually reinforced my desire to work in this role for Google.

My application passed onto the hiring committee very quickly. The only negative thing is that after this stage I wasn't exactly sure how likely it was that I got the job or not. My recruiter basically didn't answer any direct questions. Since I had to handle school as well as other job prospects, it was very difficult to not know where I really was with Google. I also didn't appreciate that I wasn't given a clear answer about when I would hear the final decision.

Interview Questions
    • Many business case questions in my case. The analytical interview was definitely the most challenging but also the most fun. It was all about analyzing a given problem, coming up with an adequate solution quickly, and explaining why this solution works. I was asked to include specific percentages in my evaluation.   Answer Question
    I felt like the negotiations weren't as smooth as they could have been. The offer was firm and didn't mention any details which I discussed with my recruiter. They basically promised me something (regarding relocation) that was not part of the offer.

Release Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Phone Interview, followed by 4 1-hr long interviews (all in a row) two of which were with international interviewers over video-conferencing.
    Several in-depth coding questions, some technical-ability qu's, some behavioural/experiential and some congnitive/puzzler qu's.

Interview Questions
    • How to transfer several gigabytes of data to Mars, how to do it faster, how to keep the data synchronised.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.
    They offered a lower salary than the current position, but included a sign-on bonus.