Google

Updated Jan 29, 2015

3.5

118 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Quantitative Analyst Interview

On-site interview at their London office. Had 3 interviews in total, 2 of them were video conferences. Each was 45 minutes. Everyone was very nice. They tried to gauge how much you know and if you don't know a particular area, they'll ask something easier. So it's hard to say how much I could have done more to land the job.

Interview Questions
    • Ask about GLM, how to deal with large number of variables, economic experiments   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google.

It was phone first interview. They want see if you are smart. You can use paper to write down and think. .don't know what else. Nothing to add to already written

STEP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2014.

A recruiter got in touch with me to offer me the chance to interview early for Google's STEP program. After an initial CV screening, they got in touch to arrange an interview date. I had two 45 minute interviews, both over video conference with an engineer from one of their Europe offices. The interviewers each started off with a couple of CV questions. My chosen language was Java and the technical questions were pretty standard, two medium-sized questions per interview (Sadly I was rather inexperienced when it came to interviews...)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google in September 2014.

Submitted application online. I was contacted by a recruiter. I had a phone-screen interview and then invited for an on-site interview. It was a nice experience overall. It can be an exhausting experience, but exciting and interesting! I was asked questions that required searching a solution recursively. One of them was related to palindromes. One was reading code (.h files) and telling what it did and how to use it.
    They covered all expenses and the hotel they choose was the nicest hotel I've ever been (by far). Most of the people was nice and helpful. One of the interviewers was sick and eating bread during the interview, making noises and was kind of distracting.

Interview Questions
    • Design a large-scale system, most problems required search for a solution recursively. One of them was to be solved with dikjstra   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in August 2014.

Through friend's referral. Made it through first two rounds. First with Hr in India then with Hiring Manager. Very informal and relaxed atmosphere. Asked about CV and pitch sales for adword product.

Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I had a lot of calls from the hiring manager based out of UK. They asked a lot of information about my grades in university / college. They also wanted to know if I blog, so its best to have a blog done before you apply.
    As a lot of emphasis is put on grades, its best to position your strong academic skills before them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Applied in November 2013
    HR got in touch in March 2014
    First phone interview in April 2014
    Second in May 2014
    5 On-site interviews in July 2014

HR was super nice.
    One out of the 5 on-site interviewers was super unfriendly (and just came out of the shower w/ wet hair). She presented a graph problem which I considered my speciality. It had one tweak which she explained very badly. I asked her to reexplain the tweak twice. Then I was like "I understood it that way. So I'd do it this way. What do you think?". She then told me to "just implement it". I implemented it very fast. In the meantime, she read my CV. When I concluded, she looked at the code (which was probably 15-20 LoC). She then noticed that the way I handled the tweak was different to what she said. So she was like: "I told you to do it that way. What did you do there?". While I felt a little offended because if she had put a little more effort in explaining it I would have gotten it right away. Her version would have been even easier to implement.

Developer Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

Two phone calls, one from the hiring manager and the second one from the manager of the team that was hiring you. The hiring manager said that I was a very good fit for the sole so they wanted to move forward with an interview.

The second interview, by the manager of the team they were hiring for, was good, but not that great. The interviewer was not very friendly, but the interview was ok overall.

At the end they didn't move forward, they wanted someone who was busy 100% of their time coding. Not me for sure, despite that was my background.

Research Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in July 2014.

They made initial contact via email, then face to face over Hangout. After this I was invited for a 'Quiz' which I was told would last 2 hours. It was on Stats, Math, Computer Programming and Machine Learning. It took 4 hours in total.
    A week later I was told that for the current open positions they needed someone stronger at math, so to get in touch when I felt more confident. I'm in the process of brushing up my math.

Grant Manager, Google Org Interview

They have a very well designed job application system, with all of their jobs listed clearly on their site with clear descriptions. As you would expect from Google, the user experience of submitting an application is very good.