Google

Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2013.

Interview Details – In March 2013 I applied for a Product Manager role in Europe.

I had a preliminary screening call with one of their recruiters, which was really useful. In fact, I found the recruiters to be really helpful throughout - sending through cheat sheets for the interview, etc.

I then had a call with a London-based Product Manager who had been in the role for 4.5 years. It was supposed to be a 45 min call but he rang late, so the whole thing felt really rushed. He didn't really refer to my CV at all, but seemed to be following a script. All throughout it felt like a game of fish - I obviously wasn't giving him the answers he was after. It was a frustrating experience.

I got rang the next week and told that I didn't have the product management experience needed at Google's scale. That was a frustrating answer, I thought they were interested in me precisely because I didn't fit the standard profile (I was the CEO of a UX firm).

Interview Questions

• * Imagine you were creating a search engine for events, how would you go about it?   Answer Question
  • * Imagine that Larry wants to know our quality on the maps front, how would you go about it?   Answer Question
  • * How would you redesign Evernote?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Anything up to 8 or 9 interviews with mix of telephone and face-to-face with anyone across the organisation for cultural fit. Expect to be grilled and tested on technical side if applying for those roles

Interview Question – Verbal case studies with no right or wrong answer - you can't prepare for them - it's all about how how think the process through to the end!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very quick and straightforward once offered

Software Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering Interview

Software Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering
London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Google in February 2013.

Interview Details – First step was a phone with a recruiter, basically chatting about my CV and some easy technical questions as a screening.

Second step was a phone interview with an engineer, some knowledge based questions (general programmig, unix system programmin) and a small programming task (implementing a call of the C library).

Third step was also a phone interview with an engineer along the same lines as the second, of similar difficulty, with a small programming task, fairly easily and the interviewer guided me as well when I could not come up easily with the solution.

Then, I was invited over to London for an on-site interview. I had 5 interview in differrent domains : system administration, networking, algorithms, problem solving, large scale design. All of them where very demanding. My advice would be:

- sysadmin: you need real world experience, very good knowledge of GNU CLI tools, etc

- networking: very good knowledge of TCP/IP (up to the bits of the protocol, workflows etc), experience in network design

- algotihms: you need to solve *literally hundreds* of problems an be able to reason about them with common and not so common algorithms (*including* NP graph algorithms). I had't and I struggled.

- problem solving: books won't help much, you need real world experience

- large scale design: you have not seen problems at google scale, best option is to read some google papers, like GFS, big data etc.

I was not given an offer since I did not meet the expectations and they could not give me any specific details on my performance on individual sessions.

It was impressive that the entire process, up to the last stage I reached, did not involved *at all* typical HR stuff like behavioural questions etc.

Interview Question – Solving a problem that reduced to TSP.   Answer Question

Industry Leader Interview

Industry Leader
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on Google Careers website and received an email from the recruiter a few weeks later. We set up a phone screen interview, which was very fast, under 30 minutes. It went well, was pretty easy. The HR interviewer directed me to the hiring manager. Since I was not on the location where the job would be, I had to go to the Google office in my city (which looks great, of course) and we did the interview through Video Conference. Unfortunately the audio was terrible, it seemed the interviewer was under water in a fish tank. I could barely understand what he was saying, even got his name wrong. Now, the questions: extremely weird questions, that ranged from ridiculous to pointless. I could not believe he was asking such strange questions. Not a word about my experience, or what I could bring to the company, the ordinary stuff. The interviewer apparently had this list of questions prepared ahead of time, and made all the effort for them to be as weird as he could. Needless to say the interview went terribly bad and I was not selected for the role. All in all, it has surely left a bad impression of the Google recruiting experience. I have heard that some people have had a pleasant conversation during their interviews at Google, well, I haven't!

Interview Question – How do you think Media Agencies make money?   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in March 2013.

Interview Details – 7 interviews, very casual (too casual and not really detailed enough to derive serious insight). Interviewers often late and disorganised. Wait for decision several weeks.

Interview Question – Expected whacky Google questions but they were mostly stock. One interviewer asked basic questions regarding popular science. Expect they are looking for technical knowledge and interest in science regardless of the position.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – The process for for a contract position and the whole process took 4 interviews. It started with a brief phone call from an agency.

Interview Question – Typical questions but mostly about how you would go about fixing things   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The whole process was very long. It took four months to go from the first recruiter call to the onsite interview. In the meantime I had a few phone calls with the recruiter to schedule/wrap things up, two phone interviews and one on-site interview (comprising of 5 interviews with as many people).

Interview Question – Mostly general programming questions of the typical "Google" kind and one system design question.   Answer Question

Agency Manager Interview

Agency Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2013.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with the recruitment team, followed by a phone interview with the Agency Sales Head followed by an onsite interview with Group Head and Industry Manager

Interview Question – How many people are online right now in the UK   View Answer

Industry Leader Interview

Industry Leader
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straight forward. I met a lot of people (6?) across 3 onsite visits. The interviews were mainly friendly but clearly focussed on different aspects of the job. One guy seemed very frustrated with the time that the interview (45 mins) was taking out of his senior role - he now runs Motorola in the US so he was clearly a busy guy).

Interview Question – How many flights land at Heathrow every day?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward but I was taking a pay cut which was hard to take.

Strategic Negotiator Interview

Strategic Negotiator
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in October 2011.

Interview Details – Took 3-4 weeks from application to be notified about a telephone interview. Another 3 weeks for face to face at their london office. Had 6 interviews in one day, most of the interviewers were nice and the questions were more or less standard. Had one interviewer who was asking questions like 'what car do you drive' etc which wasn't really helpful and nothing to do with the actual job.

Interview Question – All more or less standard interview questions, mostly following the CV   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google