Google User Experience Design Intern Interview Questions

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

User Experience Design Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in November 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter for a UX Design internship on the Gmail team. The process progressed very quickly and I had two phone interviews within a week. One interview was very career focused. The interviewer asked about my history, my skills, my passions, and what I saw for my future. The other interview was more technical. I was asked to complete and discuss several simple design challenges. The interviewer gave leading questions to push me in my abilities and to see how I reacted to pressure and criticism. After these interviews, all contacts went dark for a few weeks. Upon contacting the recruiter again to ask about progress, I was thanked for my time and told that my resume would be kept on file for future opportunities. It was so nice that I actually had to read the email twice to realize that I had been cut.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

User Experience Designer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in March 2011.

I submitted my resume online for a user experience designer internship, and got contacted by a recruiter who set up two phone interviews with people from their New York office. I was asked to answer some generic questions regarding my design process, some questions regarding the design of my own portfolio site, and a few hands-on design questions by working remotely on a Google Doc drawing. After the phone interviews I was asked to go on-site for an 1:1 interview. Apart from questions like 'why do you want to work here', it mostly consisted of design exercises like: design a comment interface, design a new interface for a existing service, etc. The real purpose of these exercise is to see how you approach the problems and how organized is your design process. Also being able to draw nice wireframes will be a good plus (the interviewer kindly pointed out that I didn't draw carefully).

I got rejected after two weeks, probably because my design process wasn't organized enough - I just jumped in there and started sketching. Should've focused on what problems needed to be solved first and then come up with points and solutions.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about your design process. How would you approach a project?   Answer Question
    • Design a new interface for an existing comment system.   Answer Question

User Experience Design Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Google in January 2011.

Applied online and heard back about 3 months later.

Initially took about 2 weeks to get the first phone interview setup, due to the recruiter needed to collect information from me: unofficial transcripts, classes I've taken relevant to the position, resume, and portfolio.

First phone interview was with a Senior User Researcher, was pretty intense 45 minutes long, chock full of questions. Got scheduled for a second phone interview after 2 weeks of waiting and got a cancellation last minute. Eventually got the second phone interview, which didn't do as well as I thought.

Got final results about a month later.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with difficult teammates that you HAVE to work with? How do you pick and choose you battles?   Answer Question