Google User Experience Designer Interview Questions

2.8

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

User Experience Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google.

Had a couple of friends recommend me. A recruiter contacted me by e-mail to schedule a phone screening.

Interview Questions
  • Oddly enough, why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

User Experience Design Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Applied on internet, recruiter contacted, phone interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in September 2012.

Too long of a process, too many junior people that got hired because they went to a prestigious school. The questions they ask are all read off of sheet, it feels very formal. It is really hard to get any description or idea of what the job you are interviewing for actually is...all in all a waste of a day.

Interview Questions
    • They had me design a few fake websites and redesign the amazon homepage (not sure how this applied...).   Answer Question

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Google in March 2012.

I applied in November and it took 5 months before I got my first phone interview. Worked with 2 separate recruiters and the second was far more organized than the first. My interviewer forgot to call the first two times. Then after finally talking, he extended a recommendation for a second interview. However, he didn't submit feedback for over one month and finally said he no longer would be taking an intern on for the summer. Every one was nice. But unbelievably disorganized. Overall, it was a waste of time due to inefficiency.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your work at company (x) - very specific question related to technology and execution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in September 2010.

8 interviews in 8 hours. Every single interviewer tried to get me not to want to work there. I usually encounter the opposite – at MSoft, even the shuttle drivers are selling you on the Co. Google: 8 hrs of "we dare you to want to work here." WTH?

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Although, one guy said, "Too bad you didn't go to RISD. I really want someone with some good hand skills at the whiteboard." (So, normal, legible, 15-years as an Art Director-whiteboard skills are - unacceptable?) Pretentious.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in March 2012.

Two phone interviews with one UX researcher and manager, most are technical questions about the UX research methods, and the reason for choosing Google

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in July 2011.

After submitting my resume I was asked to send a detailed portfolio. They asked me to exemplify steps I took in order to get the project completed.

After that I was asked to perform a test, I had to choose from three scenarios and design solutions to the problems described.

After that there was a phone interview that took an hour.

After that I was invited to their London office - all expense paid. It was a full day of interviews and a presentation about my professional history.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Google in June 2011.

Phone interview China - difficult, a lot of pre-formed expectations about Chinese market
    Phone interview Europe - much more encouraging, asked about best and worst UI's, products I use, portfolio review, etc
    Design exercise - choose one of three design challenges to complete at home ~4 hours
    On-site interview - full day, around 5 interviews, including portfolio review, presentation of project of your choice, presentation of the design exercise and lunch with team.

whole process took around 6 months from first app to final interview.

Interview Questions
    • Felt mostly tripped by soft skill questions such as 'leadership examples' as I was fairly junior at the time.   Answer Question