Google User Experience Designer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Had a great phone interview with the internal recruiter - it's Google, and the job requirements are fairly standard, so that went well. I had a follow up phone interview (not even Google Talk?), and was disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm from the interviewer on the design team. I felt like he was reading questions off of a script, and didn't actually engage with me at all on my experience or how I'd add value to the team. I understand interviewing other people isn't the most fun thing in the world, but felt like this person was literally phoning it in. His responses to my questions about how they build and what processes they had made me want to hand him a coffee. There was also no follow up to say if I would be getting another interview, or that they went with another candidate. Very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions - fairly standard. Wasn't prepared for the lack of enthusiasm though.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Google.

Interview

Had a couple of friends recommend me. A recruiter contacted me by e-mail to schedule a phone screening.

Interview Questions

• Oddly enough, why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied on internet, recruiter contacted, phone interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Too long of a process, too many junior people that got hired because they went to a prestigious school. The questions they ask are all read off of sheet, it feels very formal. It is really hard to get any description or idea of what the job you are interviewing for actually is...all in all a waste of a day.

Interview Questions

• They had me design a few fake websites and redesign the amazon homepage (not sure how this applied...).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied in November and it took 5 months before I got my first phone interview. Worked with 2 separate recruiters and the second was far more organized than the first. My interviewer forgot to call the first two times. Then after finally talking, he extended a recommendation for a second interview. However, he didn't submit feedback for over one month and finally said he no longer would be taking an intern on for the summer. Every one was nice. But unbelievably disorganized. Overall, it was a waste of time due to inefficiency.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work at company (x) - very specific question related to technology and execution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (San Bruno, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

1 45-minute phone interview with the hiring manager, a designer. The hiring manager looked at my portfolio, which was a website and talked about my projects and asked me a few questions about my general design process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one of your recent projects. Walk me through the process, thinking and final design.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

8 interviews in 8 hours. Every single interviewer tried to get me not to want to work there. I usually encounter the opposite – at MSoft, even the shuttle drivers are selling you on the Co. Google: 8 hrs of "we dare you to want to work here." WTH?

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult or unexpected. Although, one guy said, "Too bad you didn't go to RISD. I really want someone with some good hand skills at the whiteboard." (So, normal, legible, 15-years as an Art Director-whiteboard skills are - unacceptable?) Pretentious.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in March 2012.

Interview

Two phone interviews with one UX researcher and manager, most are technical questions about the UX research methods, and the reason for choosing Google

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in July 2011.

Interview

After submitting my resume I was asked to send a detailed portfolio. They asked me to exemplify steps I took in order to get the project completed. After that I was asked to perform a test, I had to choose from three scenarios and design solutions to the problems described. After that there was a phone interview that took an hour. After that I was invited to their London office - all expense paid. It was a full day of interviews and a presentation about my professional history.

Interview Questions

• How do you design an interface for a 1000 floors elevator   4 Answers

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in June 2011.

Interview

Phone interview China - difficult, a lot of pre-formed expectations about Chinese market Phone interview Europe - much more encouraging, asked about best and worst UI's, products I use, portfolio review, etc Design exercise - choose one of three design challenges to complete at home ~4 hours On-site interview - full day, around 5 interviews, including portfolio review, presentation of project of your choice, presentation of the design exercise and lunch with team. whole process took around 6 months from first app to final interview.

Interview Questions

• Felt mostly tripped by soft skill questions such as 'leadership examples' as I was fairly junior at the time.   Answer Question