Google

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter contact through E-mail, book a time for phone interview. Phone interview was about 45 minutes, done by a designer.

Interview Question – Criticize a website   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed by a lunch meeting, followed by a day of interviews.

1. Phone interview:
A standard discussion about portfolio of work, interests, experience and design processes. With a few questions specifically about the area/project I was applying for. The main purpose seemed to be to gauge my design competency.

2. Lunch Meeting:
Met hiring manager and team director for lunch on-campus. We talked very casually, again about my work, the project I was applying to work on, and more about design systems and projects management. The main purpose seemed to be to gauge my personality and compatibility with Google culture.

3. Day of interviews:
Presented a homework assignment and portfolio presentation to a group of designers, project managers, researchers and engineers, none of whom where on the team I was applying to join (this is a strategic thing). About 8 people in total. Then, had individual 1 hour interviews with a few of them, each focussing on different areas of connection they would have with a designer like me. In other words, the researcher asked me about design testing, the engineer asked about optimization of assets and flow, the project manager asked about how to deal with conflicting opinions and settle on a good decision, and the designers set me a mini design challenge.

There were no trick questions or brain teasers.

Interview Question – As a designer the question I was most unprepared for was asked by an engineer who referred a UX flow I had presented. He then proceeded to go through it with me one step at a time and asked very specific technical questions about what happens on the back end, what transitions happened and questioned why a smile flow was broken into so many steps... It was the most challenging interview I had ever experienced, but made me really think more holistically about UX design afterwards.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did negotiate somewhat and it turned out well.

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Google in April 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Initial Contact (email)
2. Portfolio Review (email)
3. Interview Questions Round 1 (email)
4. Interview Questions Round 2 (phone)
5. 1hr Portfolio Presentaion + 5 in-person interviews with some skills tests/problem solving (on-site for 1 full day)

Interview Question – One of the 1 on 1interviewers spent about 30 minutes explaining why he didn't like my work and went through each piece of my portfolio, picking apart each project at the pixel level. Told me up front that he didn't want me working there because I wasn't better than him and he only wanted people to work there who he aspired to be like.   View Answers (3)

Visual Designer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Very friendly interview-- Google does a good job making you feel like they want to hire you! They asked for a phone interview to get some general background information about me and then moved on to a technical interview where they asked me about some more of my experience and then more specifically about some of their products.

Interview Question – Some unexpected, specific questions about Google products   Answer Question

Visual Designer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online on the Google website. Got contacted by a very patent recruitment coordinator and 2 weeks later a phone interview with a designer in Mountain View which was quite relaxed to figure out who I am, design background etc.. 1 week later a design exercise which was than reviewed 2 days after the submission.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, though you should know why you are applying for a job at GOOGLE.   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!