Google Visual Designer Interview Questions

3.7

Visual Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Interview

First round phone interview with the company's recruiter, then a phone interview with a designer, and then a design test. Consider passing all three rounds, they'll then fly you to the headquarter for two rounds of in-person interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Phone interview, followed by a lunch meeting, followed by a day of interviews.

1. Phone interview:
    A standard discussion about portfolio of work, interests, experience and design processes. With a few questions specifically about the area/project I was applying for. The main purpose seemed to be to gauge my design competency.

2. Lunch Meeting:
    Met hiring manager and team director for lunch on-campus. We talked very casually, again about my work, the project I was applying to work on, and more about design systems and projects management. The main purpose seemed to be to gauge my personality and compatibility with Google culture.

3. Day of interviews:
    Presented a homework assignment and portfolio presentation to a group of designers, project managers, researchers and engineers, none of whom where on the team I was applying to join (this is a strategic thing). About 8 people in total. Then, had individual 1 hour interviews with a few of them, each focussing on different areas of connection they would have with a designer like me. In other words, the researcher asked me about design testing, the engineer asked about optimization of assets and flow, the project manager asked about how to deal with conflicting opinions and settle on a good decision, and the designers set me a mini design challenge.

There were no trick questions or brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• As a designer the question I was most unprepared for was asked by an engineer who referred a UX flow I had presented. He then proceeded to go through it with me one step at a time and asked very specific technical questions about what happens on the back end, what transitions happened and questioned why a smile flow was broken into so many steps... It was the most challenging interview I had ever experienced, but made me really think more holistically about UX design afterwards.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did negotiate somewhat and it turned out well.

Visual Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google.

Interview

Very friendly interview-- Google does a good job making you feel like they want to hire you! They asked for a phone interview to get some general background information about me and then moved on to a technical interview where they asked me about some more of my experience and then more specifically about some of their products.

Interview Questions

• Some unexpected, specific questions about Google products   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me in June to schedule a phone screening. A week or two went by and I had my first initial screening with the recruiter to determine if I had the basic necessary qualifications to handle the job. After i passed my screening I had to send in my portfolio to be screened by a committee. After another week, I was informed that I passed the portfolio screening and I was set up on a phone interview with a lead designer. After a week or so I was informed that I passed the phone interview, and the next step would be the design challenge. I was given a challenge that was limited to 3 hours of working time. I had to provide sketches, low-fidelity and high-fidelity mockups. I was told that a committee would review my work and the recruiter would get back with me on the results. After about 2 weeks the recruiter informed me that I had passed the review and would be coming onsite to interview. Score! It took about a week or so to set up the travel arrangements. My onsite interview consisted of a 1 hour panel interview, (4) 1-hour one-on-one interviews and 1 lunch interview. The people were very friendly and I received several compliments on my work. I thought I had it in the bag. The recruiter emailed me a few days after i returned home and told me I had scored high enough on the onsite interviews to have my things passed on the the hiring committee. If I am correct the hiring committee has never seen you, talked to you or viewed your work. The pass you on to the next committee based on your paper trail alone. About a week after the recruiter told me I would be getting reviewed by the hiring committee, she emailed me and said i didn't get the job. The recruiter was very vague on the reason. That's my google story...

Interview Questions

• How would you collect data (favorite authors, genres, etc) about book readers if it was their initial login to our google books app?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Recruiter contact through E-mail, book a time for phone interview. Phone interview was about 45 minutes, done by a designer.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

1. Initial Contact (email)
    2. Portfolio Review (email)
    3. Interview Questions Round 1 (email)
    4. Interview Questions Round 2 (phone)
    5. 1hr Portfolio Presentaion + 5 in-person interviews with some skills tests/problem solving (on-site for 1 full day)

Interview Questions

• One of the 1 on 1interviewers spent about 30 minutes explaining why he didn't like my work and went through each piece of my portfolio, picking apart each project at the pixel level. Told me up front that he didn't want me working there because I wasn't better than him and he only wanted people to work there who he aspired to be like.   4 Answers

Visual Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview

Applied online on the Google website. Got contacted by a very patent recruitment coordinator and 2 weeks later a phone interview with a designer in Mountain View which was quite relaxed to figure out who I am, design background etc.. 1 week later a design exercise which was than reviewed 2 days after the submission.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, though you should know why you are applying for a job at GOOGLE.   Answer Question