Google Interview Questions in Washington State

Updated Aug 27, 2015

3.4

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Extremely fun and engaging experience that was totally worth it! Definitely the best interview process yet. Some people may find it difficult because the broad topics that were covered but the interviewers are really there to help you along.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the recruiting agency. Then a brief phone conversation with the hiring manager, and then moved into an on-site interview in the SLU offices. The on-site interview was with the hiring manager in a 1:1 setting. Very casual setting. Had a positive conversation.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to walk through some projects and explain my design process. Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I received a phone call from a recruiter. We talked for roughly 45 minutes about my technical background and experiences, as well as the sorts of positions that are available currently in Software Engineering at Google. This was followed up one week later by a technical interview that consisted of two programming questions and almost no other discussion. I received my negative response from them a few hours later. I completed both questions with a little time to spare and without receiving help from the interviewer. The two shortcomings I saw in the interview that could have led to their decision not to move forwards were: 1. I briefly forgot the syntax for array declaration as it is not something I commonly use. 2. I decided to use a brute force iterative implementation rather than the more complex recursive solution to the problems. My advice to others would be to make sure you're 100% refreshed on the syntax of the language you will be interviewing in, and it may be worthwhile to attempt the riskier, flashy answer rather than the more basic solution.

Interview Questions

• Without going into specifics, for the technical interview, I was asked questions about manipulating arrays.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Bellevue, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

At first, a recruiter contacted me by LinkedIn, about 2 month befroe Graduated and we had a phone call for checking my background. After that, I got a technique phone interview. Based on my background, an expert engineer from related area interviewed me. The interview lasted 45 mins, I could answer as many questions as I can.

Interview Questions

• Simple algorithm about array, like dfs, using in image processing.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interviewer called in and ask background, describe recent project. It lasts about 15 mins. The question was hard (lots of details to attend), and 30 mins is not easy to finish without bug. At the end she asks me if i have any questions. The interview finished 5 mins late, and she was nice and did not stop me immediately after 45 mins

Interview Questions

• Given a long string, and a width, parse the string return an array list containing string that shorter or equal to the given width; if multiple spaces left, split them equally   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview. It was a very strange experience. The interviewer didn't say much, total of 5 sentences for the entire interview, didn't even told me their name. Asked me the difference between an ArrayList and LinkedList. Next asked me the question below. I tried to use a Range Tree to solve but he interrupted me and asked me to write a brute force solution instead.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted array [0-99] With input: [1, 5, 45, 86] Write a function that prints the empty regions, example Output: “0,2-4,6-44,46-85,87-99”   3 Answers

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Was called by a current Senior Product Manager from Google on the phone. Spent around 30 minutes going over my experience and recent projects. Then spent the remaining 30 minutes discussing how I would further develop Nest thermostat as a platform. Overall the interviewer was very friendly. He was very open about his current position in Google and work culture in general.

Interview Questions

• Which features would you add to Nest thermostat to make it more like a platform   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online on google website and was contacted by recruiter directly from Google. She was very helpful and thorough in the steps involved. She also sent me separate email on how to prepare (not that specific). She asked my availability for a phone screen in next 3 weeks. The interview was 45 mins and consisted of one situation question and then 2 coding questions. Might have been more, if I actually solved the tree one. Also you are expected to write the test cases after your implementation.

Interview Questions

• Print a binary tree (The way it looks). Print root, then print nodes at height 1, then nodes at 2, and so on..   Answer Question
    • Convert string "1234" into a number without using library functions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was referred by a googler. I must admit that google is really efficient because a recruiter contacted me just one day after I got the referral confirmation email. I was required to provide an unofficial transcript(yeah, I'm a new grad). My phone interview was scheduled two weeks later. I failed in the phone interview. It's really weird that the recruiter didn't send me a rejection email but instead emailed me to schedule a phone call to tell me the result! I heard that many recruiters from google told candidates bad results in this way. Maybe it's a way which google thinks could give candidates enough respect. But It made me feel really bad to hear "Unfortunately, bla bla bla" through a phone call.

Interview Questions

• Data structure and algorithm questions related to sorting and priority queue.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The entire interview process took a long time. Over two months if I'm remembering correctly. That part wasn't so great. However, as stressful as an entire day full of interviews is, I actually really appreciate that now. My stress about technical interviews has always been that if they ask me about something I don't know, I come off looking like an idiot and that is their only impression of me. The 4+ interviews meant that even though I drastically flubbed one, that wasn't their only impression of me. Of course, I still didn't do well enough for Google, but I don't feel like I represented myself terribly because I was able to express different sides and answer a variety of questions.