Gordon Food Service Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.9

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Applied for the entry-level sales role. Completed a video interview, and was then contacted a week later for an in person interview. Was asked situation based questions. Before a decision was made on my employment, I was told to go and visit 10 restaurants to get a feel for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you were under a strict deadline and was under pressure.   View Answer

Did not believe the position was a good fit.

Outside Food Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gordon Food Service.

Applied online through their website. First interview was a self guided video interview that I submitted online. Got a phone call not too long after for face to face interview. Followed that up with another face to face. Eventually you will ride along with a current employee. You have to be dressed up as that is their calling card compared to their competitors.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me this pen.
      A customer wants to drink with you to celebrate a huge contract but this is prohibited. Do you do it? What if they tell you they will cancel if you don't?
        Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallmadge, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallmadge, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gordon Food Service in July 2014.

The Interview process was very fast yet very specific and detailed, asking about my past retail experience and qualifications. They also provided clear and detailed expectations of the specific position and requirements for the position including pre employment requirements. They did not give a paper copy of a job description, yet they gave a verbal one, and asked if I had any questions for me, and when I said that I did not, I was immediately hired, given company orientation that day, and given a work schedule.

Interview Questions
    • Why they should select me for the position.   View Answer
    I was immediately hired and put into orientation that same day as a matter of fact

Sales and Service Assistance Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gordon Food Service.

Starts with a phone screen. Then you interview with the District Manager. All questions asked revolve around what you have already done involving customer service or customer interactions. Using the S-situation A-action R-result format. Then you would interview with the area manager.

Selector Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Gordon Food Service.

Phone interview then face to face with selector supervisor. The supervisor I interviewed with was very nice & fair. He informed me that Gordon has never had a layoff in it's entire history.

Custodian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyoming, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyoming, MI

I applied online – interviewed at Gordon Food Service in May 2014.

easy basic questions such as group work, questions about the hardest part you have accomplished in your life. Achievements you have had or completed, schooling. work experience questions. Questions should be very easy to answer in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • questions about what would u do if a employee did something that was against company policy   Answer Question

Assistant Store Director/Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gordon Food Service in April 2014.

I was contacted via email to submit an online interview. There was no interaction with a person. I had to record myself answering questions.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all standard. Why do you want to work for GFS, tell us about your current position and do you have merchandising experience.   Answer Question

Customer Development Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Gordon Food Service.

-Applied online, received a phone call from HR about 1-2 weeks later. Interviewed over the phone (about 20-25 mins).
    -HR contact called back about 1 week later, requesting interview with the Sales Manager.
    -In-person interview with Sales Manager lasted about 2 hours. Very intense, difficult questions...make sure you are prepared.
    -Rode with a current CDS 1 week later (all day, about 8-4pm). Make sure to ask lots of questions to determine if the job is a good fit. They will usually be pretty honest with you.
    -Interview with Regional Manager the next week. Shorter interview, about 45 mins.
    -Final interview is with the Director of Sales. I got the offer later that day (interviewed around 9am, got the offer around 6pm).

Interview Questions
    • They may try to "talk you out of the job." For example, a question I got was: "I am sometimes hesitant to hire someone with your background because of *list of reasons.* Why do you think you are a good fit for this role?"

Basically, they want to hear that you are willing to fight for the job.
        Answer Question
    I was asked what salary range I was looking for during my interview with the Regional Manager. It is different for everyone, though.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenosha, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenosha, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Gordon Food Service in February 2014.

Very standard interview questions. Easy, quick interview questions,

We would like to move forward and offer you a job with us

Network Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Gordon Food Service.

2 Part interview process, both in person.

1st interview - Met with team manager and a technical engineer. Both asked questions relating to how well I would jive with the culture, as well as technical questions to ensure a baseline of knowledge.

2nd interview - 2 Higher level engineers. Grilled me on the technical side of things. Really wanted to determine where I was at and how much I knew about specific technologies that the company uses.

No negotiating, which is somewhat understandable given that this was an internship