Government of Alberta

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Government of Alberta.

Interview Details – in-person or telephone interview dependent upon place of residence, followed by a written component. Subsequent records checks required as well as proof of enrollment with governing professional body.

Interview Question – scenario questions wherein child protection concern is identified and interviewee is asked to provide response as to course of action that should be taken in the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate my salary at the time but suggest that others do so.

Policy Intern (16-month Rotation) Interview

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Government of Alberta.

Interview Details – This was for the 16-month Policy internship Program where you rotate between two departments. Started first-round interviews in October, second-round interviews in November and received offer in mid-December. Position started Jan 4.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary, basic behavioural questions with the need to provide some concrete examples of how you achieved certain projects. Immediately after the first-round interview, you write an hour-long written test on a policy issue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was hired right out of school. Generally in the GOA, it is difficult to negotiate unless you have many years of experience/education. They will follow the compensation grid which is publicly available. For these intern positions, it is Program Services 1.

Junior Manager/Manager I Interview

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at Government of Alberta in February 2011.

Interview Details – 1. Applying for job online
2. If screened in, there is often a writing exam prior to the interview or right after the interview. The topics are usually a position paper explaining what you see the merits of program xyz as being, and how the program fits with the overall goals of the Ministry/Government -OR- you will be asked to create a Briefing Note or Ministerial response document
3. The interview is normally a Supervisor and Manager, plus an HR representative. Sometimes a senior employee doing the same role will also attend the interview as part of the panel if a Supervisor isn't available.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you build relationships?   Answer Question
  • 2. Tells us about a project management experience and the process involved. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salaries are set for the Government of Alberta according to a pay scale. If you are from outside the GoA, you may be able to negotiate the amount(step) within the pay range advertised for the position, but this is unusual. Usually salaries are set in advance with little room for negotiation. If you are already an employee with the GoA and are making a lateral move, you will receive exactly the same as what you are making. If you are applying for a higher position, you will be started at the pay step that pays you either what you are earning now or slightly higher, usually with room for a yearly increase.

Economist Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Government of Alberta.

Interview Details – I was notified by phone an email about the interview after 2 weeks from the time I applied. It was a phone interview on a panel of 3: The HR consultant, Assistant Chief Economist and a Manager.
4 technical questions, a few other behavioural and situational questions. There was also a written exercise.

Interview Question – How would you forecast the effect of a new investment project on the provincial economy?   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Government of Alberta in February 2013.

Interview Details – It took several weeks, possibly a month, from when I submitted my application to when I was interviewed.

I've had several interviews before with the GoA; standard 60 minute length, 3 person panel interview, expect questions designed to test your broad awareness of the subject matter, how you carry out your work and how you interact with others (lots of questions along the lines "tell me about a time when [challenging scenario]...).

Expect your offer to be below the maximum advertised salary. If you receive an offer, it's in your interests to understand how you've been classified, and to haggle and talk up the wage/classification if you can as it's very difficult to renegotiate your salary rank once you've commenced work.

Interview Question – I was asked how I was enjoying the bad weather   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Temporary position. Departmental processes within the bureaucracy mean these positions are unlikely to ever switch to a permanent (you'll be a lower class employee until you decide to change jobs)

Engineer Interview

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Government of Alberta in May 2009.

Interview Details – A set number of questions are asked which range from 15-20 questions. One third of these questions are technical in nature, one third are situational type questions and one third are related to HR issues. The questions also cover dealing with people/ public and media. The answers are noted by the interview panel and these are rated at the end. However, it is not necessary that the candidate whose answers are rated the best may get the job. The selection of candidate is at the discretion of the hiring manager and whosoever he finds comfortable in working with is offered the job.

Interview Question – If you are made the head of the organization for one day, what steps would you take for betterment of the organization.   Answer Question

Project Management Interview

Project Management
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Government of Alberta.

Interview Details – They contacted me after they found my resume from the Provincial Student Work Opportunity website. She was very friendly, and since it was half a year after I initially posted my information on that website, she asked me if I am still looking for a summer job. I showed my interest then she set up the interview date with me. It was only one interview, all questions are behavioral based, (why did you choose your major? what will you do if you are under a lot of pressures and couldn't meet the deadline? What was the most challenging subject you had at work? Where do you see yourself in 10 years)

Interview Question – tell me a time when you failed/or performed below your supervisor's expectation.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – It was a summer internship opportunity, and the hourly pay met my expectation, so i didn't have to negotiate with them.

Administration V Collection Officer Interview

Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Government of Alberta in August 2011.

Interview Details – 1st things 1st government takes a very long time to get back to you when you apply for a job, they are slow, when you do get the interview it a 3 panel person interview,asking you common interview question you have to make you do your research for whatever position you apply to or sector of government.. If at the end of the interview they ask you for your resume good sign, next will be a reference check, then backround check, then a criminal check,if that's not enough in your interview they forget to mention you have 3 test to do that your have score a 70 overall to keep the job you just applied for knowing very well you quit your other job to come to the government and now there is possibility you maybe unemployed if you don't pass these test. Oh and yes governent probation is 6month to 1 year keep that in mind. The training is horrible.Your left in dark about everything. Its best not to waste your time. The training is more stressful and hard it almost feel like your being setup for failure!!!

Interview Question – Are you will to take a temporary position, with possible of being permanent   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They grad you according to some system they have and tell you how much there going to pay you there is no negotiation at all.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Government of Alberta? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Government of Alberta interview questions and advice in Canada. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Government of Alberta employees and interview candidates.