Government of Alberta

Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.9

Compliance Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Government of Alberta in October 2014.

standard 2 person interview, they are the team lead. There is no HR attend the interview. Questions are mostly about behaviour questions. The interviewer are taken note most of the time, there is some follow up questions as well

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a situation when different point of view arise?   Answer Question

ArcGIS Data Modeling Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Government of Alberta in September 2014.

Standard two people interview. Asked a series of standard questions. Typically they will ask about your skill set and ask some follow up questions specific to one of your ability. A few technical question, generally easy unless you have no idea about that particular field. In which case just be honest about it. The interviewers are friendly, they are not from the HR department but are researchers working on the project as well. Total interview time is about 40-50 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths and how are they related to this position   Answer Question
    • How do you debug a program   Answer Question
    • How would you write a program such that it's easier for other people to maintain it   Answer Question
    • What do you think about the .NET framework   Answer Question
    • Describe what a modern view controller is   Answer Question
    • Share you experience on web development or database design   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with the team foundation server   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you were unable to work on a computer, for example, a power shortage   Answer Question

IRMS Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Government of Alberta in August 2014.

Applied online. Got an email around 1.5 weeks later to schedule for interview. It seems that there is little flexibility for candidates to choose the date, as you are only given choice of morning or afternoon for a specific date.
    Interview was fairly straightforward, and interviewers were professional. There was a written component which asked me to provide suggestion to a response letter for the Ministry.
    Didn't hear back for 3 weeks after interview, but emailed them for feedbacks and got a call a few days later saying the position was filled, along with a bit of feedback from the interview.

Public PolicyProgram Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Alberta in May 2014.

Submitted resume online. Didn't hear back for about three weeks but that is pretty normal for government. Got an email saying that I would be sent a writing assignment the following week and have one hour to complete it and email it back. Fairly simple policy recommendation paper, max one page. Got a phone call for an interview two weeks later. Was a panel of four people. Mostly pretty basic behavioural questions. A few resume specific questions.

Interview Questions
    • The usual behavioural interview questions. One rather specific question about why are you interested in the policy of sustainable resources and development. With a little research, not too bad to answer.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Government of Alberta in May 2014.

Over the phone interview due to location by two people, one overseeing the project as well as a senior analyst who would also be working on the project and overseeing it. Questions about skill set as well as previous projects and level of experience. Gave a description of the job and asked more or less what part of it I would be most interested in. They gave an initial interview and then responded promptly the next week after they have finished doing interviews.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Government of Alberta.

in-person or telephone interview dependent upon place of residence, followed by a written component. Subsequent records checks required as well as proof of enrollment with governing professional body.

Interview Questions
    • scenario questions wherein child protection concern is identified and interviewee is asked to provide response as to course of action that should be taken in the situation.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate my salary at the time but suggest that others do so.

Policy Intern (16-month Rotation) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Alberta.

This was for the 16-month Policy internship Program where you rotate between two departments. Started first-round interviews in October, second-round interviews in November and received offer in mid-December. Position started Jan 4.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary, basic behavioural questions with the need to provide some concrete examples of how you achieved certain projects. Immediately after the first-round interview, you write an hour-long written test on a policy issue.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I was hired right out of school. Generally in the GOA, it is difficult to negotiate unless you have many years of experience/education. They will follow the compensation grid which is publicly available. For these intern positions, it is Program Services 1.

Economist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Government of Alberta.

I was notified by phone an email about the interview after 2 weeks from the time I applied. It was a phone interview on a panel of 3: The HR consultant, Assistant Chief Economist and a Manager.
    4 technical questions, a few other behavioural and situational questions. There was also a written exercise.

Interview Questions
    • How would you forecast the effect of a new investment project on the provincial economy?   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Government of Alberta in February 2013.

It took several weeks, possibly a month, from when I submitted my application to when I was interviewed.

I've had several interviews before with the GoA; standard 60 minute length, 3 person panel interview, expect questions designed to test your broad awareness of the subject matter, how you carry out your work and how you interact with others (lots of questions along the lines "tell me about a time when [challenging scenario]...).

Expect your offer to be below the maximum advertised salary. If you receive an offer, it's in your interests to understand how you've been classified, and to haggle and talk up the wage/classification if you can as it's very difficult to renegotiate your salary rank once you've commenced work.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I was enjoying the bad weather   View Answer

Temporary position. Departmental processes within the bureaucracy mean these positions are unlikely to ever switch to a permanent (you'll be a lower class employee until you decide to change jobs)

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Government of Alberta.

They contacted me after they found my resume from the Provincial Student Work Opportunity website. She was very friendly, and since it was half a year after I initially posted my information on that website, she asked me if I am still looking for a summer job. I showed my interest then she set up the interview date with me. It was only one interview, all questions are behavioral based, (why did you choose your major? what will you do if you are under a lot of pressures and couldn't meet the deadline? What was the most challenging subject you had at work? Where do you see yourself in 10 years)

Interview Questions
    • tell me a time when you failed/or performed below your supervisor's expectation.   View Answers (2)
    It was a summer internship opportunity, and the hourly pay met my expectation, so i didn't have to negotiate with them.