Government of Canada Interview Questions

3.2

Business Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Government of Canada.

The interview process includes a test and in person interview. The test looks for how you handle projects and your writing skills. The in person interview is with a pannel and looks to see your people skills. The questions are both personal and knowledge based. The process is one interview.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you do speak any language you claim to. They will ask you a question in that language to gauge your ability. Most of the questions are how to handle people and situations, make sure you consider your personal approach.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase with a government position. The salaries are publicly posted and they will not and cannot budge on salary.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Government of Canada.

I submitted through the government's official website. There was one face to face interview (for which I had to travel from home to Ottawa). I received a positive response quite quickly. However, it took several months before the official job offer came through. This was definitely the most annoying part of the whole process but is standard for all government jobs.

Interview Questions
    • There was no particularly difficult question. I think the interviewers had already made up their mind before I arrived there as it was very comradely.   Answer Question
    None. The government has specific salaries for your level.

Protocol Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Government of Canada in May 2014.

Veteran priority hiring streamlined some of the process; within 24 hours of the deadline, I was asked to interview the following week. Due to distance, conducted a video conference interview with very senior department members. This interview was based on a behavioural experience model.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were actually given before hand. Still the toughest part is phrasing answers as "I" instead of "we".   Answer Question

Project Officer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Government of Canada.

Presentation letter, resume, interview and reference check

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell us why the respect of cultural diversity in the workplace is important?   Answer Question
    No possible negociation

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Government of Canada.

The hiring and interview process was incredibly long and tedious. They were very disorganized and there were many gaps between understanding the next steps in the process. You have to be very patient as it can be a very drawn out process and with people who often do not fully understand the next steps. Get ready for a good deal of frustration.

Informatics Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada.

GoC has a site whereby you can see all the current jobs they are hiring. You apply and upload your resume to them. Provided you qualify you will be screened into the process. Then you will write an exam and go through an interview. If successful, you will now be in a pool from which managers can hire you from. Pools can last several years, or be refreshed from time to time.

Interview Questions
    • How did you let someone go - how did you do it, how did you minimize the stress on the person and how did you handle it yourself?   View Answer
    Depending on the position and how difficult it is to find candidates you can sometimes start at a higher pay level than the usual initial beginning level. You need to ask about it since it is seldom expressed. Otherwise, the beginning level(s) are firmly set via collective agreements.

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Government of Canada.

usually written exam, then interview, then reference check, then another interview to see if fit the position. Usually really long process.

Policy Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a year or more - interviewed at Government of Canada.

Crazy convoluted hiring process that takes over a year. Managed to get though the test (although I failed many in other competitions first). Interview was 5 questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you had two conflicting choices and had to use your judgement to move forward?   Answer Question
    There wasn't one, you accepted whatever was offered

Disability Adjudicator Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Government of Canada in December 2012.

Initial communication via email, inviting for a pre-screening test. Test consisted of two case studies. Next, interview invitation after a 1.5 weeks. Interview panel consisted of the unit and department managers, mostly competency based questions, with some behavioural.

Interview Questions
    • How does someone who is using cocaine for 10 years present?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2012.

Don't hire to fill positions. Instead, frame the specific business need, identify the results the new employee has to deliver and determine the knowledge, skills and behaviors necessary to deliver those results.

If you are going to effectively accomplish this, a number of pieces need to be in place. First you need a comprehensive hiring process. This is critical to hiring success. You can read all about an effective hiring process by clicking the link below.

Interview Questions

Worked for Government of Canada? Contribute to the Community!