Government of Canada Interview Questions

Updated Jul 8, 2015

3.1

Business Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Boston, MA).

Interview

The interview process includes a test and in person interview. The test looks for how you handle projects and your writing skills. The in person interview is with a pannel and looks to see your people skills. The questions are both personal and knowledge based. The process is one interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you do speak any language you claim to. They will ask you a question in that language to gauge your ability. Most of the questions are how to handle people and situations, make sure you consider your personal approach.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase with a government position. The salaries are publicly posted and they will not and cannot budge on salary.

Processing Officer-FSWEP Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2010.

Interview

Consist of in person interview of speaking with the hiring manager, technical test of typing and using websites.Basic questions were asked, as long as you have office working experience and can use a computer, pass the background checks , and is a Canadian citizen, you should be able to qualify.

National Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview

In person, assessed against experience, abilities and knowledge criteria. Sat in front of a panel of 2 peers who asked several questions to assess me. THe interview lasted about 30-45 mins in total.

Industrial Hygiene Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with one interviewer. Many technical questions were asked about my industrial hygiene program and certain aspects of industrial hygiene, which I had no trouble explaining. It is important to know the federal aspects of industrial hygiene compliance and safety compliance. Very few behavioural interview questions were asked, but I added in some behavioural answers. The interview was 30 minutes long. I was informally accepted by email a week later.

Bilingual Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

There is a screening stage when applying for the job, I was then sent an essay style question in which I was to show how I had dealt with a specific type of situation in the past. I was then notified by email of an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Scenario style question - your manager asks you to set up a conference call for people within your home team, and remotely   1 Answer

Programmer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview

Applied the current job online from public service. Then the public service informed me to have a technical exam. After one week, the public service asked to have a interview with 3 people from public service. After two weeks, I got the offer.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I submitted through the government's official website. There was one face to face interview (for which I had to travel from home to Ottawa). I received a positive response quite quickly. However, it took several months before the official job offer came through. This was definitely the most annoying part of the whole process but is standard for all government jobs.

Interview Questions

• There was no particularly difficult question. I think the interviewers had already made up their mind before I arrived there as it was very comradely.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. The government has specific salaries for your level.

Protocol Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada in May 2014.

Interview

Veteran priority hiring streamlined some of the process; within 24 hours of the deadline, I was asked to interview the following week. Due to distance, conducted a video conference interview with very senior department members. This interview was based on a behavioural experience model.

Interview Questions

• The questions were actually given before hand. Still the toughest part is phrasing answers as "I" instead of "we".   Answer Question

Project Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview

Presentation letter, resume, interview and reference check

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us why the respect of cultural diversity in the workplace is important?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No possible negociation

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The hiring and interview process was incredibly long and tedious. They were very disorganized and there were many gaps between understanding the next steps in the process. You have to be very patient as it can be a very drawn out process and with people who often do not fully understand the next steps. Get ready for a good deal of frustration.