Government of Canada Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

3.2

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gatineau, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatineau, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Government of Canada in September 2009.

I applied online through jobs.gc.ca for the position. It took over 1.5 years before I received a request to write an exam. I was screened into the competition after the exam. Once the pool was formed nothing happened for a few months, though I eventually started to get calls from hiring managers, and did 3 interviews. The process seemed somewhat disorganized, and the managers were competing for their top hire picks out of the pool without knowing whether the candidate was receiving multiple job offers or not. I wound up taking one of the jobs that I was offered, but in hindsight, would have liked to try and determine the best fit, rather than just jumping on the most sure choice! ...the interview process took 32 months from the initial online application to the day I started the job. that was the downer in the process, but I'm very happy I stuck it out! (I can't say that below, it's blocked by the ap!)

Interview Questions
    • The only thing I remember was walking away thinking how utterly important it was to do my homework. Luckily I knew the subject matter inside and out, but that wasn't always the case for me when applying to other jobs I would have been qualified to do.   Answer Question
    For me it was a big promotion so I didn't have a lot of negotiation power. I knew I needed to prove myself when I landed, and kept that in mind.

Creative Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Government of Canada in August 2007.

My application went in early in April. This was the standard online application used for Government positions, wherein it's so important to use all the keywords you can to be screened in.

About two months later, I received a phone call inviting me to an interview. The interview was to be 2 weeks later, though it got rescheduled at the last second to be another week after that. I still don't know if this was a flexibility test or not!

The actual interview was attended by the manager of this position -- a director -- and his manager, a Director General. Upon arriving I was given a sheet of the questions they would ask, and was put into an empty office to review those and make any notes. After 20 minutes I was taken to the interview room, which was another office.

The interview was actually fairly casual, in tone, though it was a formal scored interview. In government interviews the questions are pre-determined, and the answers are scored based on whether candidates touch on the necessary points or not. Interviewers spend a lot of time writing and scoring. I was given constant feedback throughout the interview, however, indicating when I had answered in enough detail, or prompting for more.

I gave a sheet with my references (as had been requested) and left. Three months later, having heard nothing more at all, I got a call indicating that they would be checking my references within the week. Three weeks later, they did check the references. Three weeks after that, I got the call that the job was mine if I was still interested. This was a slow and arduous process -- worse than the typical post-interview process in government.

Interview Questions
    • Questions along the line of "can you tell us about a time when..." because it's always so hard to remember a good example, instead of just the first thing that comes to mind!   View Answer
    No negotiation as I was already a Public Servant. I could negotiate start dates, that's it.

Data Warehouse Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in January 2008.

I attended an Interview for a DataWarehouse or BI/OLAP Architect

As I have worked for over 20 years in this area as a Prinicpal Consultant & Troubleshooter for the Software Vendor whose DataWarehouse and BI products were actually the prime ones being asked for.

Despite having actually written (AND given) some of the Training and Certifcation courses for the Software Vendor themselves, I was asked why I had NOT while as an EMployee - not been sent on such courses.

When I replied that I had been fully -billable for the Software Company Involved and since it was the policy to only send Staff on Courses when Opportunity permited, I had not had chance. I had also been advised that I didn;t need it and such a Certification was not mention as one of teh Qualifiactions for the Job.

It seems that they we so hung up on this that, despite the fact that I clearly demonstrated vert strong techical, communication and teamwork skills during the Interview (according to Feedback I later recieved), I did not get the Position. Apparently, ONE person (who was NOT going to be associated with the Job itself), got really hung up about the Certification - which came completely out of left field -from the viewpoint of the other two people conducting the Interview.

Since the dissenter was Superior in Government Rank to the IT Specialist and IT Manager interviewing me, then their veto, effectively won.

I only heard months later about what had happened when I happened by change to meet the IT Specialist who'd Interviewed me, at a DataWarehousing Conference in the USA.

I was also apparently, not suffciently Bi-lingual, for the Senior Civil Servants Satisfaction. (This despite my having lived and worked in Paris and regularly working with French speaking clients.

This was my first experience of dealing with Central Government from an Employee applcant viewpoint and to say I was somewhat disappointed at the Process, is a reasonable conclusion..

Hopefully, this is an isolated example of an Interview for a Job with the Government.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you not have a Certication in <Vendor_name> Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence?   View Answer
    • Why have <Vendor_name> sent you to a lot of non-Canadian clients?   View Answer

Disability Adjudicator Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Government of Canada in December 2012.

Initial communication via email, inviting for a pre-screening test. Test consisted of two case studies. Next, interview invitation after a 1.5 weeks. Interview panel consisted of the unit and department managers, mostly competency based questions, with some behavioural.

Interview Questions
    • How does someone who is using cocaine for 10 years present?   Answer Question

Data Base Entry Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in November 2008.

Applied online and received email asking to come in for a skills and background test. Participated in a group test. Received word thru email that I passed the test, but no further contact was received from employer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions like exact date of entry into Canada. Original copies of written references had to be presented.   Answer Question

Parks Presenter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Banff, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Banff, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in February 2011.

The interview process was made to be interactive and fun, which it was, but the questions asked didn't go in depth into any of the skills that were required of the job. The questions where either so specific that one could only give a yes or no question (e.g. do you have any interpretive training from the Interpretive Association of Canada?) or so broad that it was impossible to know what was desired in the answer.

After the interview Parks Canada tells you if you got the job as well as if they felt you were qualified, and invites you to contact them for specific feedback. I like that they company makes this a policy. When I asked for feedback I was told I didn't have qualifications which I did have, but was never asked about.

I appreciate some aspects of Parks Canada's interview process standards, but found the specific interview sequence that I experienced for this job completely insufficient in it's ability to find the desired skills.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember specific questions, just that they were very vague, or alternatively very specific, and there were very few of .   Answer Question

Casual Support Agent Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Government of Canada in February 2012.

They asked me 4 general questions regarding customer service.

Protocol Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Government of Canada in May 2014.

Veteran priority hiring streamlined some of the process; within 24 hours of the deadline, I was asked to interview the following week. Due to distance, conducted a video conference interview with very senior department members. This interview was based on a behavioural experience model.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were actually given before hand. Still the toughest part is phrasing answers as "I" instead of "we".   Answer Question

Informatics Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada.

GoC has a site whereby you can see all the current jobs they are hiring. You apply and upload your resume to them. Provided you qualify you will be screened into the process. Then you will write an exam and go through an interview. If successful, you will now be in a pool from which managers can hire you from. Pools can last several years, or be refreshed from time to time.

Interview Questions
    • How did you let someone go - how did you do it, how did you minimize the stress on the person and how did you handle it yourself?   View Answer
    Depending on the position and how difficult it is to find candidates you can sometimes start at a higher pay level than the usual initial beginning level. You need to ask about it since it is seldom expressed. Otherwise, the beginning level(s) are firmly set via collective agreements.

Policy Analyst and Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

interviewed at Government of Canada in September 2010.

student bridging program after several coop terms. i knew the department well already and had a sense of the work. two rounds of interviewing - first one was by the phone because of travel and the second was in the office.

Interview Questions
    • standard interview questions - make sure you research the department well   Answer Question

Worked for Government of Canada? Contribute to the Community!