Government of Canada Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014
30 interviews

3.2

Data Warehouse Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in January 2008.

I attended an Interview for a DataWarehouse or BI/OLAP Architect

As I have worked for over 20 years in this area as a Prinicpal Consultant & Troubleshooter for the Software Vendor whose DataWarehouse and BI products were actually the prime ones being asked for.

Despite having actually written (AND given) some of the Training and Certifcation courses for the Software Vendor themselves, I was asked why I had NOT while as an EMployee - not been sent on such courses.

When I replied that I had been fully -billable for the Software Company Involved and since it was the policy to only send Staff on Courses when Opportunity permited, I had not had chance. I had also been advised that I didn;t need it and such a Certification was not mention as one of teh Qualifiactions for the Job.

It seems that they we so hung up on this that, despite the fact that I clearly demonstrated vert strong techical, communication and teamwork skills during the Interview (according to Feedback I later recieved), I did not get the Position. Apparently, ONE person (who was NOT going to be associated with the Job itself), got really hung up about the Certification - which came completely out of left field -from the viewpoint of the other two people conducting the Interview.

Since the dissenter was Superior in Government Rank to the IT Specialist and IT Manager interviewing me, then their veto, effectively won.

I only heard months later about what had happened when I happened by change to meet the IT Specialist who'd Interviewed me, at a DataWarehousing Conference in the USA.

I was also apparently, not suffciently Bi-lingual, for the Senior Civil Servants Satisfaction. (This despite my having lived and worked in Paris and regularly working with French speaking clients.

This was my first experience of dealing with Central Government from an Employee applcant viewpoint and to say I was somewhat disappointed at the Process, is a reasonable conclusion..

Hopefully, this is an isolated example of an Interview for a Job with the Government.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you not have a Certication in <Vendor_name> Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence?   View Answer
    • Why have <Vendor_name> sent you to a lot of non-Canadian clients?   View Answer

Data Base Entry Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in November 2008.

Applied online and received email asking to come in for a skills and background test. Participated in a group test. Received word thru email that I passed the test, but no further contact was received from employer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions like exact date of entry into Canada. Original copies of written references had to be presented.   Answer Question

Disability Adjudicator Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Government of Canada in December 2012.

Initial communication via email, inviting for a pre-screening test. Test consisted of two case studies. Next, interview invitation after a 1.5 weeks. Interview panel consisted of the unit and department managers, mostly competency based questions, with some behavioural.

Interview Questions
    • How does someone who is using cocaine for 10 years present?   Answer Question

Creative Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Government of Canada in August 2007.

My application went in early in April. This was the standard online application used for Government positions, wherein it's so important to use all the keywords you can to be screened in.

About two months later, I received a phone call inviting me to an interview. The interview was to be 2 weeks later, though it got rescheduled at the last second to be another week after that. I still don't know if this was a flexibility test or not!

The actual interview was attended by the manager of this position -- a director -- and his manager, a Director General. Upon arriving I was given a sheet of the questions they would ask, and was put into an empty office to review those and make any notes. After 20 minutes I was taken to the interview room, which was another office.

The interview was actually fairly casual, in tone, though it was a formal scored interview. In government interviews the questions are pre-determined, and the answers are scored based on whether candidates touch on the necessary points or not. Interviewers spend a lot of time writing and scoring. I was given constant feedback throughout the interview, however, indicating when I had answered in enough detail, or prompting for more.

I gave a sheet with my references (as had been requested) and left. Three months later, having heard nothing more at all, I got a call indicating that they would be checking my references within the week. Three weeks later, they did check the references. Three weeks after that, I got the call that the job was mine if I was still interested. This was a slow and arduous process -- worse than the typical post-interview process in government.

Interview Questions
    • Questions along the line of "can you tell us about a time when..." because it's always so hard to remember a good example, instead of just the first thing that comes to mind!   View Answer
    No negotiation as I was already a Public Servant. I could negotiate start dates, that's it.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gatineau, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatineau, QC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Government of Canada in September 2009.

I applied online through jobs.gc.ca for the position. It took over 1.5 years before I received a request to write an exam. I was screened into the competition after the exam. Once the pool was formed nothing happened for a few months, though I eventually started to get calls from hiring managers, and did 3 interviews. The process seemed somewhat disorganized, and the managers were competing for their top hire picks out of the pool without knowing whether the candidate was receiving multiple job offers or not. I wound up taking one of the jobs that I was offered, but in hindsight, would have liked to try and determine the best fit, rather than just jumping on the most sure choice! ...the interview process took 32 months from the initial online application to the day I started the job. that was the downer in the process, but I'm very happy I stuck it out! (I can't say that below, it's blocked by the ap!)

Interview Questions
    • The only thing I remember was walking away thinking how utterly important it was to do my homework. Luckily I knew the subject matter inside and out, but that wasn't always the case for me when applying to other jobs I would have been qualified to do.   Answer Question
    For me it was a big promotion so I didn't have a lot of negotiation power. I knew I needed to prove myself when I landed, and kept that in mind.

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Government of Canada in May 2009.

Panel interview against 15 people. Two of us were hired for 4 months to compete against each other. one of us was hired on a full time basis. There was a phone interview, followed by two months of wiating for a one on one interview. They also performed background checks which prevented me from working there for a month.

Interview Questions
    • What are your opinions on the duty to democracy and parliament under a minority government. I thought it was an odd question, and have no idea if I answered it right.   Answer Question
    I negotiated to get into an accelerated promotion program, but there was no room to negoiate starting salary.

Informatics Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada.

GoC has a site whereby you can see all the current jobs they are hiring. You apply and upload your resume to them. Provided you qualify you will be screened into the process. Then you will write an exam and go through an interview. If successful, you will now be in a pool from which managers can hire you from. Pools can last several years, or be refreshed from time to time.

Interview Questions
    • How did you let someone go - how did you do it, how did you minimize the stress on the person and how did you handle it yourself?   View Answer
    Depending on the position and how difficult it is to find candidates you can sometimes start at a higher pay level than the usual initial beginning level. You need to ask about it since it is seldom expressed. Otherwise, the beginning level(s) are firmly set via collective agreements.

Computer Programming Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Government of Canada in January 2008.

Typical interview, where they asked the behavioural questions. They have situation questions. Just be yourself and know all your previous skills and experiences very well before you go into the interview. There was only 1 interview and after they gave me an offer. The interview was typical, around 30 minutes or so.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where a teammate wasn't pulling their weight. What did you do?   Answer Question

Executive Services Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Government of Canada in January 2010.

The only way in is to apply online to internal postings on the job board. If you're applying for executive services officer jobs, be prepared for a long wait, lots of screening, and waiting some more. The interview is behavioural/situational. They will ask things like "Tell us a time when you demonstrated..." about each specific skill they are looking for.

No negotiation. You get paid standard government AS-02 rate, with a raise every year.

Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in December 2010.

I was given one hour to prep a presentation on a topic relevant to the department I was interviewing with. They provided the material to prep it from, which was mostly off their website, and I had studied the site before hand. I was marked on oral communication skills, presentation skills, my usage of and skill with MS Powerpoint and comfort speaking about the topic at hand.

Interview Questions
    • I was given one hour to prep a 15 minute presentation on topic X.   View Answer
    no negotiations for salary, as pay is already set and stated in the job posting,

Worked for Government of Canada? Contribute to the Community!