Government of Canada Interview Questions

Updated Jul 8, 2015

3.1

Policy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview

Crazy convoluted hiring process that takes over a year. Managed to get though the test (although I failed many in other competitions first). Interview was 5 questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had two conflicting choices and had to use your judgement to move forward?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't one, you accepted whatever was offered

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

usually written exam, then interview, then reference check, then another interview to see if fit the position. Usually really long process.

Project Officer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview

Presentation letter, resume, interview and reference check

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us why the respect of cultural diversity in the workplace is important?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No possible negociation

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in June 2011.

Interview

Very very easy. Just walked in and talked about my resume. There were questions about my favorite IDE and what I had done in school. I think it was because I was a student at the time and they already had other people from my program working for them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None to speak of

Processing Officer-FSWEP Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Canada in April 2010.

Interview

Consist of in person interview of speaking with the hiring manager, technical test of typing and using websites.Basic questions were asked, as long as you have office working experience and can use a computer, pass the background checks , and is a Canadian citizen, you should be able to qualify.

Senior Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2013.

Interview

I received an email inviting me to an interview on phone. This was followed by a test and then a face to face interview. Everything went fine up to the face to face interview when none of the four panel members broke a smile or responded to my 'good morning" as I entered the room. While I began responding to the first interview question (my native language is English but with an accent), one of the panelists rolled her eyes. I was asked for references prior to the face-time interview and I found that it was a positive sign. Then, as I was ushered to the elevator after the 15 minute interview and I asked about sending some details about my third reference, the panelist looked confused and said that it was too soon and that a request for them should not have been made. Really unprofessional?!

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leamington, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Government of Canada (Leamington, ON (Canada)) in April 2010.

Interview

Pretty basic phone interview, simple questions relating to the job.

Interview Questions

• A visitor brings a problem to your attention, what do you do?   1 Answer

Business Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Government of Canada (Boston, MA).

Interview

The interview process includes a test and in person interview. The test looks for how you handle projects and your writing skills. The in person interview is with a pannel and looks to see your people skills. The questions are both personal and knowledge based. The process is one interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you do speak any language you claim to. They will ask you a question in that language to gauge your ability. Most of the questions are how to handle people and situations, make sure you consider your personal approach.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase with a government position. The salaries are publicly posted and they will not and cannot budge on salary.

Heavy Equipment Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Canada (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in June 2011.

Interview

A very long hiring process that lasted almost ten months. A theory example with poor grammar that appeared to have been compiled by a HR employee with no knowledge of the subject matter. Then to my surprise I was invited to take practical exam which was rather basic if not a little unusual in that I had to record the last calibration dates of the measuring tools I used. I then had a run of the mill interview with two gentle men that was kind of like a panel interview which was of modern format and encompassed all the skill sets. After that another interview in French to see if I would be willing to try and improve my French. Finally I went to sign my first contract which was renewed several times each time with a long story proceeding it and some degree of uncertainty.

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Government of Canada in February 2012.

Interview

They asked me 4 general questions regarding customer service.