Government of Canada

30 candidate interviews

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview Details – I submitted through the government's official website. There was one face to face interview (for which I had to travel from home to Ottawa). I received a positive response quite quickly. However, it took several months before the official job offer came through. This was definitely the most annoying part of the whole process but is standard for all government jobs.

Interview Question – There was no particularly difficult question. I think the interviewers had already made up their mind before I arrived there as it was very comradely.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. The government has specific salaries for your level.

Policy Analyst and Researcher Interview

Policy Analyst and Researcher
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at Government of Canada in September 2010.

Interview Details – student bridging program after several coop terms. i knew the department well already and had a sense of the work. two rounds of interviewing - first one was by the phone because of travel and the second was in the office.

Interview Question – standard interview questions - make sure you research the department well   Answer Question

Protocol Officer Interview

Protocol Officer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Government of Canada in May 2014.

Interview Details – Veteran priority hiring streamlined some of the process; within 24 hours of the deadline, I was asked to interview the following week. Due to distance, conducted a video conference interview with very senior department members. This interview was based on a behavioural experience model.

Interview Question – The questions were actually given before hand. Still the toughest part is phrasing answers as "I" instead of "we".   Answer Question

Heavy Equipment Technician Interview

Heavy Equipment Technician
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 10 months - interviewed at Government of Canada in June 2011.

Interview Details – A very long hiring process that lasted almost ten months. A theory example with poor grammar that appeared to have been compiled by a HR employee with no knowledge of the subject matter. Then to my surprise I was invited to take practical exam which was rather basic if not a little unusual in that I had to record the last calibration dates of the measuring tools I used. I then had a run of the mill interview with two gentle men that was kind of like a panel interview which was of modern format and encompassed all the skill sets. After that another interview in French to see if I would be willing to try and improve my French. Finally I went to sign my first contract which was renewed several times each time with a long story proceeding it and some degree of uncertainty.

Project Officer Interview

Project Officer

I applied online and interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview Details – Presentation letter, resume, interview and reference check

Interview Question – Can you tell us why the respect of cultural diversity in the workplace is important?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No possible negociation

Director Interview

Director
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was incredibly long and tedious. They were very disorganized and there were many gaps between understanding the next steps in the process. You have to be very patient as it can be a very drawn out process and with people who often do not fully understand the next steps. Get ready for a good deal of frustration.

Interview Question – Why did you work in the private sector?   Answer Question

Informatics Officer Interview

Informatics Officer
Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview Details – GoC has a site whereby you can see all the current jobs they are hiring. You apply and upload your resume to them. Provided you qualify you will be screened into the process. Then you will write an exam and go through an interview. If successful, you will now be in a pool from which managers can hire you from. Pools can last several years, or be refreshed from time to time.

Interview Question – How did you let someone go - how did you do it, how did you minimize the stress on the person and how did you handle it yourself?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Depending on the position and how difficult it is to find candidates you can sometimes start at a higher pay level than the usual initial beginning level. You need to ask about it since it is seldom expressed. Otherwise, the beginning level(s) are firmly set via collective agreements.

Disability Adjudicator Interview

Disability Adjudicator

I applied online - interviewed at Government of Canada in December 2012.

Interview Details – Initial communication via email, inviting for a pre-screening test. Test consisted of two case studies. Next, interview invitation after a 1.5 weeks. Interview panel consisted of the unit and department managers, mostly competency based questions, with some behavioural.

Interview Question – How does someone who is using cocaine for 10 years present?   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

Policy Analyst
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview Details – usually written exam, then interview, then reference check, then another interview to see if fit the position. Usually really long process.

Interview Question – qualities   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

Policy Analyst

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview Details – Crazy convoluted hiring process that takes over a year. Managed to get though the test (although I failed many in other competitions first). Interview was 5 questions.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you had two conflicting choices and had to use your judgement to move forward?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one, you accepted whatever was offered

Worked for Government of Canada? Contribute to the Community!