Government of Canada Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.2

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Government of Canada in June 2011.

Very very easy. Just walked in and talked about my resume. There were questions about my favorite IDE and what I had done in school. I think it was because I was a student at the time and they already had other people from my program working for them.

None to speak of

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at Government of Canada in January 2011.

Initial contact was 8 months after I applied! After the initial exam Interview was with a panel of 3. Questions ranged from 'Tell us what you know about us', to the traditional behavioral interview questions 'what would you do in the following situation', or 'tell us about a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee. What was your solution, and what was the outcome.'

Interview Questions
    • They asked what improvements I would bring to the position, which was difficult to answer, given I had never worked in the department...   Answer Question
    Initial offer was $15K below where I was currently earning. I needed to move, though, so I pushed back and told them that was unacceptable. They came back with an offer that was only $5k below where I was, and I accepted. Very reasonable folks all throughout the process.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Government of Canada.

I submitted through the government's official website. There was one face to face interview (for which I had to travel from home to Ottawa). I received a positive response quite quickly. However, it took several months before the official job offer came through. This was definitely the most annoying part of the whole process but is standard for all government jobs.

Interview Questions
    • There was no particularly difficult question. I think the interviewers had already made up their mind before I arrived there as it was very comradely.   Answer Question
    None. The government has specific salaries for your level.

Policy Analyst and Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

interviewed at Government of Canada in September 2010.

student bridging program after several coop terms. i knew the department well already and had a sense of the work. two rounds of interviewing - first one was by the phone because of travel and the second was in the office.

Interview Questions
    • standard interview questions - make sure you research the department well   Answer Question

Protocol Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Government of Canada in May 2014.

Veteran priority hiring streamlined some of the process; within 24 hours of the deadline, I was asked to interview the following week. Due to distance, conducted a video conference interview with very senior department members. This interview was based on a behavioural experience model.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were actually given before hand. Still the toughest part is phrasing answers as "I" instead of "we".   Answer Question

Heavy Equipment Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 10 months - interviewed at Government of Canada in June 2011.

A very long hiring process that lasted almost ten months. A theory example with poor grammar that appeared to have been compiled by a HR employee with no knowledge of the subject matter. Then to my surprise I was invited to take practical exam which was rather basic if not a little unusual in that I had to record the last calibration dates of the measuring tools I used. I then had a run of the mill interview with two gentle men that was kind of like a panel interview which was of modern format and encompassed all the skill sets. After that another interview in French to see if I would be willing to try and improve my French. Finally I went to sign my first contract which was renewed several times each time with a long story proceeding it and some degree of uncertainty.

Project Officer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Government of Canada.

Presentation letter, resume, interview and reference check

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell us why the respect of cultural diversity in the workplace is important?   Answer Question
    No possible negociation

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Government of Canada.

The hiring and interview process was incredibly long and tedious. They were very disorganized and there were many gaps between understanding the next steps in the process. You have to be very patient as it can be a very drawn out process and with people who often do not fully understand the next steps. Get ready for a good deal of frustration.

Informatics Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada.

GoC has a site whereby you can see all the current jobs they are hiring. You apply and upload your resume to them. Provided you qualify you will be screened into the process. Then you will write an exam and go through an interview. If successful, you will now be in a pool from which managers can hire you from. Pools can last several years, or be refreshed from time to time.

Interview Questions
    • How did you let someone go - how did you do it, how did you minimize the stress on the person and how did you handle it yourself?   View Answer
    Depending on the position and how difficult it is to find candidates you can sometimes start at a higher pay level than the usual initial beginning level. You need to ask about it since it is seldom expressed. Otherwise, the beginning level(s) are firmly set via collective agreements.

Disability Adjudicator Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Government of Canada in December 2012.

Initial communication via email, inviting for a pre-screening test. Test consisted of two case studies. Next, interview invitation after a 1.5 weeks. Interview panel consisted of the unit and department managers, mostly competency based questions, with some behavioural.

Interview Questions
    • How does someone who is using cocaine for 10 years present?   Answer Question

Worked for Government of Canada? Contribute to the Community!