Government of Canada

Updated Oct 29, 2014
Updated Oct 29, 2014

3.1

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

The process took a weekinterviewed at Government of Canada in April 2012.

Don't hire to fill positions. Instead, frame the specific business need, identify the results the new employee has to deliver and determine the knowledge, skills and behaviors necessary to deliver those results.

If you are going to effectively accomplish this, a number of pieces need to be in place. First you need a comprehensive hiring process. This is critical to hiring success. You can read all about an effective hiring process by clicking the link below.

Casual Support Agent Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Government of Canada in February 2012.

They asked me 4 general questions regarding customer service.

Heavy Equipment Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Canada in June 2011.

A very long hiring process that lasted almost ten months. A theory example with poor grammar that appeared to have been compiled by a HR employee with no knowledge of the subject matter. Then to my surprise I was invited to take practical exam which was rather basic if not a little unusual in that I had to record the last calibration dates of the measuring tools I used. I then had a run of the mill interview with two gentle men that was kind of like a panel interview which was of modern format and encompassed all the skill sets. After that another interview in French to see if I would be willing to try and improve my French. Finally I went to sign my first contract which was renewed several times each time with a long story proceeding it and some degree of uncertainty.

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Government of Canada in June 2011.

Very very easy. Just walked in and talked about my resume. There were questions about my favorite IDE and what I had done in school. I think it was because I was a student at the time and they already had other people from my program working for them.

None to speak of

Parks Presenter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Banff, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Banff, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Government of Canada in February 2011.

The interview process was made to be interactive and fun, which it was, but the questions asked didn't go in depth into any of the skills that were required of the job. The questions where either so specific that one could only give a yes or no question (e.g. do you have any interpretive training from the Interpretive Association of Canada?) or so broad that it was impossible to know what was desired in the answer.

After the interview Parks Canada tells you if you got the job as well as if they felt you were qualified, and invites you to contact them for specific feedback. I like that they company makes this a policy. When I asked for feedback I was told I didn't have qualifications which I did have, but was never asked about.

I appreciate some aspects of Parks Canada's interview process standards, but found the specific interview sequence that I experienced for this job completely insufficient in it's ability to find the desired skills.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember specific questions, just that they were very vague, or alternatively very specific, and there were very few of .   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Canada in January 2011.

Initial contact was 8 months after I applied! After the initial exam Interview was with a panel of 3. Questions ranged from 'Tell us what you know about us', to the traditional behavioral interview questions 'what would you do in the following situation', or 'tell us about a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee. What was your solution, and what was the outcome.'

Interview Questions
    • They asked what improvements I would bring to the position, which was difficult to answer, given I had never worked in the department...   Answer Question
    Initial offer was $15K below where I was currently earning. I needed to move, though, so I pushed back and told them that was unacceptable. They came back with an offer that was only $5k below where I was, and I accepted. Very reasonable folks all throughout the process.

Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Government of Canada in December 2010.

I was given one hour to prep a presentation on a topic relevant to the department I was interviewing with. They provided the material to prep it from, which was mostly off their website, and I had studied the site before hand. I was marked on oral communication skills, presentation skills, my usage of and skill with MS Powerpoint and comfort speaking about the topic at hand.

Interview Questions
    • I was given one hour to prep a 15 minute presentation on topic X.   View Answer
    no negotiations for salary, as pay is already set and stated in the job posting,

Policy Analyst and Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

interviewed at Government of Canada in September 2010.

student bridging program after several coop terms. i knew the department well already and had a sense of the work. two rounds of interviewing - first one was by the phone because of travel and the second was in the office.

Interview Questions
    • standard interview questions - make sure you research the department well   Answer Question

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Government of Canada in April 2010.

Three interviewers were in the panel. Most of the questions were behavioural. Only one technical.
    Interview started with simple questions like whether I am eligible to work in Canada, whether I would return to school after the summer job. And then there were situational questions:
    1) When was the last time you went beyond the call of duty?
    2) How did you deal with a stressful time?

Interview Questions
    • Have you given any presentations? How did you prepare for it?   Answer Question
    • Was there a situation when you suggested better ideas to your supervisor?   Answer Question

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leamington, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leamington, ON (Canada)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Government of Canada in April 2010.

Pretty basic phone interview, simple questions relating to the job.

Interview Questions
    • A visitor brings a problem to your attention, what do you do?   View Answer