Government of Canada

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Policy Analyst

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview Details – Crazy convoluted hiring process that takes over a year. Managed to get though the test (although I failed many in other competitions first). Interview was 5 questions.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you had two conflicting choices and had to use your judgement to move forward?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one, you accepted whatever was offered

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Government of Canada in May 2009.

Interview Details – Panel interview against 15 people. Two of us were hired for 4 months to compete against each other. one of us was hired on a full time basis. There was a phone interview, followed by two months of wiating for a one on one interview. They also performed background checks which prevented me from working there for a month.

Interview Question – What are your opinions on the duty to democracy and parliament under a minority government. I thought it was an odd question, and have no idea if I answered it right.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated to get into an accelerated promotion program, but there was no room to negoiate starting salary.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Gatineau, QC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Government of Canada in September 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online through jobs.gc.ca for the position. It took over 1.5 years before I received a request to write an exam. I was screened into the competition after the exam. Once the pool was formed nothing happened for a few months, though I eventually started to get calls from hiring managers, and did 3 interviews. The process seemed somewhat disorganized, and the managers were competing for their top hire picks out of the pool without knowing whether the candidate was receiving multiple job offers or not. I wound up taking one of the jobs that I was offered, but in hindsight, would have liked to try and determine the best fit, rather than just jumping on the most sure choice! ...the interview process took 32 months from the initial online application to the day I started the job. that was the downer in the process, but I'm very happy I stuck it out! (I can't say that below, it's blocked by the ap!)

Interview Question – The only thing I remember was walking away thinking how utterly important it was to do my homework. Luckily I knew the subject matter inside and out, but that wasn't always the case for me when applying to other jobs I would have been qualified to do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – For me it was a big promotion so I didn't have a lot of negotiation power. I knew I needed to prove myself when I landed, and kept that in mind.

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2012.

Interview Details – Don't hire to fill positions. Instead, frame the specific business need, identify the results the new employee has to deliver and determine the knowledge, skills and behaviors necessary to deliver those results.

If you are going to effectively accomplish this, a number of pieces need to be in place. First you need a comprehensive hiring process. This is critical to hiring success. You can read all about an effective hiring process by clicking the link below.

Interview Question – Why don't we have to use Arc Server?   View Answer

Casual Support Agent Interview

Casual Support Agent

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Government of Canada in February 2012.

Interview Details – They asked me 4 general questions regarding customer service.

Interview Question – How do you deal with stress.   Answer Question

Maintenance Interview

Maintenance
Leamington, ON (Canada)

The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty basic phone interview, simple questions relating to the job.

Interview Question – A visitor brings a problem to your attention, what do you do?   View Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in August 2009.

Interview Details – Behavioural interview and some technical questions. One written skills test and one intelligence test

Interview Questions

• They provide a situational judgment scenario that you need to respond to   Answer Question
  • What type of statistical methodology would you apply based on certain criteria   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Cannot negotiate

Parks Presenter Interview

Parks Presenter
Banff, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was made to be interactive and fun, which it was, but the questions asked didn't go in depth into any of the skills that were required of the job. The questions where either so specific that one could only give a yes or no question (e.g. do you have any interpretive training from the Interpretive Association of Canada?) or so broad that it was impossible to know what was desired in the answer.

After the interview Parks Canada tells you if you got the job as well as if they felt you were qualified, and invites you to contact them for specific feedback. I like that they company makes this a policy. When I asked for feedback I was told I didn't have qualifications which I did have, but was never asked about.

I appreciate some aspects of Parks Canada's interview process standards, but found the specific interview sequence that I experienced for this job completely insufficient in it's ability to find the desired skills.

Interview Question – I don't remember specific questions, just that they were very vague, or alternatively very specific, and there were very few of .   Answer Question

Policy Analyst

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2009.

Interview Details – Test, then group interview

Interview Question – Explain your leadership capabilities   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in February 2009.

Interview Details – Went into the room, talked to a few guys about coding. Brought up the Telus webpage and asked me what I would improve upon.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I had a job at EA that I could go back to, so I chose to go there.