Government of Canada

Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2012.

Interview Details – Don't hire to fill positions. Instead, frame the specific business need, identify the results the new employee has to deliver and determine the knowledge, skills and behaviors necessary to deliver those results.

If you are going to effectively accomplish this, a number of pieces need to be in place. First you need a comprehensive hiring process. This is critical to hiring success. You can read all about an effective hiring process by clicking the link below.

Interview Question – Why don't we have to use Arc Server?   View Answer

Casual Support Agent Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Government of Canada in February 2012.

Interview Details – They asked me 4 general questions regarding customer service.

Interview Question – How do you deal with stress.   Answer Question

Maintenance Interview

Leamington, ON (Canada)

The process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty basic phone interview, simple questions relating to the job.

Interview Question – A visitor brings a problem to your attention, what do you do?   View Answer

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in August 2009.

Interview Details – Behavioural interview and some technical questions. One written skills test and one intelligence test

Interview Questions

• They provide a situational judgment scenario that you need to respond to   Answer Question
  • What type of statistical methodology would you apply based on certain criteria   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Cannot negotiate

Parks Presenter Interview

Banff, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was made to be interactive and fun, which it was, but the questions asked didn't go in depth into any of the skills that were required of the job. The questions where either so specific that one could only give a yes or no question (e.g. do you have any interpretive training from the Interpretive Association of Canada?) or so broad that it was impossible to know what was desired in the answer.

After the interview Parks Canada tells you if you got the job as well as if they felt you were qualified, and invites you to contact them for specific feedback. I like that they company makes this a policy. When I asked for feedback I was told I didn't have qualifications which I did have, but was never asked about.

I appreciate some aspects of Parks Canada's interview process standards, but found the specific interview sequence that I experienced for this job completely insufficient in it's ability to find the desired skills.

Interview Question – I don't remember specific questions, just that they were very vague, or alternatively very specific, and there were very few of .   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2009.

Interview Details – Test, then group interview

Interview Question – Explain your leadership capabilities   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in February 2009.

Interview Details – Went into the room, talked to a few guys about coding. Brought up the Telus webpage and asked me what I would improve upon.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I had a job at EA that I could go back to, so I chose to go there.

Clerk Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2009.

Interview Details – Well organized interview, common sense questions.

Interview Question – Behavioural and situational questions   Answer Question

Summer Student Interview

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2010.

Interview Details – Three interviewers were in the panel. Most of the questions were behavioural. Only one technical.
Interview started with simple questions like whether I am eligible to work in Canada, whether I would return to school after the summer job. And then there were situational questions:
1) When was the last time you went beyond the call of duty?
2) How did you deal with a stressful time?

Interview Questions

• Have you given any presentations? How did you prepare for it?   Answer Question
  • Was there a situation when you suggested better ideas to your supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No.

Communications Officer Interview

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Government of Canada in December 2010.

Interview Details – I was given one hour to prep a presentation on a topic relevant to the department I was interviewing with. They provided the material to prep it from, which was mostly off their website, and I had studied the site before hand. I was marked on oral communication skills, presentation skills, my usage of and skill with MS Powerpoint and comfort speaking about the topic at hand.

Interview Question – I was given one hour to prep a 15 minute presentation on topic X.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiations for salary, as pay is already set and stated in the job posting,