Government of Canada Interview Questions

Updated Jul 8, 2015

3.1

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

Initial contact was 8 months after I applied! After the initial exam Interview was with a panel of 3. Questions ranged from 'Tell us what you know about us', to the traditional behavioral interview questions 'what would you do in the following situation', or 'tell us about a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee. What was your solution, and what was the outcome.'

Interview Questions

• They asked what improvements I would bring to the position, which was difficult to answer, given I had never worked in the department...   Answer Question

Negotiation

Initial offer was $15K below where I was currently earning. I needed to move, though, so I pushed back and told them that was unacceptable. They came back with an offer that was only $5k below where I was, and I accepted. Very reasonable folks all throughout the process.

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

You need to carefully read the job advertisement and ensure your cover letter includes how you meet all the criteria and then back that up on your cv. If you make the first cut, you will likely write a test where these criteria will be tested via scenarios that you have to describe how you would deal with them (demonstrating that you meet the criteria). Then at least one interview will follow and this is almost always a panel of 3 or more people. Again, you are asked questions that are meant to reveal if you meet the criteria. IT is a box ticking exercise. Sometimes, people get jobs who know how the interview process works and are not as qualified as others who do not get jobs but are not familiar with or good at the GOC interview process.

Interview Questions

• Your director hands you an urgent assignment on a day you had planned to conduct employee reviews and several other tasks of an urgent nature. How do you handle the requests and ensure all the work is done?   Answer Question

Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in December 2010.

Interview

I was given one hour to prep a presentation on a topic relevant to the department I was interviewing with. They provided the material to prep it from, which was mostly off their website, and I had studied the site before hand. I was marked on oral communication skills, presentation skills, my usage of and skill with MS Powerpoint and comfort speaking about the topic at hand.

Interview Questions

• I was given one hour to prep a 15 minute presentation on topic X.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiations for salary, as pay is already set and stated in the job posting,

Policy Analyst and Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2010.

Interview

student bridging program after several coop terms. i knew the department well already and had a sense of the work. two rounds of interviewing - first one was by the phone because of travel and the second was in the office.

Interview Questions

• standard interview questions - make sure you research the department well   Answer Question

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leamington, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Leamington, ON (Canada)) in April 2010.

Interview

Pretty basic phone interview, simple questions relating to the job.

Interview Questions

• A visitor brings a problem to your attention, what do you do?   1 Answer

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2010.

Interview

Three interviewers were in the panel. Most of the questions were behavioural. Only one technical. Interview started with simple questions like whether I am eligible to work in Canada, whether I would return to school after the summer job. And then there were situational questions: 1) When was the last time you went beyond the call of duty? 2) How did you deal with a stressful time?

Interview Questions

• Have you given any presentations? How did you prepare for it?   Answer Question
    • Was there a situation when you suggested better ideas to your supervisor?   Answer Question

Executive Services Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2010.

Interview

The only way in is to apply online to internal postings on the job board. If you're applying for executive services officer jobs, be prepared for a long wait, lots of screening, and waiting some more. The interview is behavioural/situational. They will ask things like "Tell us a time when you demonstrated..." about each specific skill they are looking for.

Negotiation

No negotiation. You get paid standard government AS-02 rate, with a raise every year.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatineau, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Gatineau, QC (Canada)) in September 2009.

Interview

I applied online through jobs.gc.ca for the position. It took over 1.5 years before I received a request to write an exam. I was screened into the competition after the exam. Once the pool was formed nothing happened for a few months, though I eventually started to get calls from hiring managers, and did 3 interviews. The process seemed somewhat disorganized, and the managers were competing for their top hire picks out of the pool without knowing whether the candidate was receiving multiple job offers or not. I wound up taking one of the jobs that I was offered, but in hindsight, would have liked to try and determine the best fit, rather than just jumping on the most sure choice! ...the interview process took 32 months from the initial online application to the day I started the job. that was the downer in the process, but I'm very happy I stuck it out! (I can't say that below, it's blocked by the ap!)

Interview Questions

• The only thing I remember was walking away thinking how utterly important it was to do my homework. Luckily I knew the subject matter inside and out, but that wasn't always the case for me when applying to other jobs I would have been qualified to do.   Answer Question

Negotiation

For me it was a big promotion so I didn't have a lot of negotiation power. I knew I needed to prove myself when I landed, and kept that in mind.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Canada in August 2009.

Interview

Behavioural interview and some technical questions. One written skills test and one intelligence test

Interview Questions

• They provide a situational judgment scenario that you need to respond to   Answer Question
    • What type of statistical methodology would you apply based on certain criteria   Answer Question

Negotiation

Cannot negotiate

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2009.

Interview

Panel interview against 15 people. Two of us were hired for 4 months to compete against each other. one of us was hired on a full time basis. There was a phone interview, followed by two months of wiating for a one on one interview. They also performed background checks which prevented me from working there for a month.

Interview Questions

• What are your opinions on the duty to democracy and parliament under a minority government. I thought it was an odd question, and have no idea if I answered it right.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated to get into an accelerated promotion program, but there was no room to negoiate starting salary.