Government of Canada Interview Questions in Ottawa, ON

Updated Jul 8, 2015

3.4

Bilingual Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

There is a screening stage when applying for the job, I was then sent an essay style question in which I was to show how I had dealt with a specific type of situation in the past. I was then notified by email of an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Scenario style question - your manager asks you to set up a conference call for people within your home team, and remotely   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I submitted through the government's official website. There was one face to face interview (for which I had to travel from home to Ottawa). I received a positive response quite quickly. However, it took several months before the official job offer came through. This was definitely the most annoying part of the whole process but is standard for all government jobs.

Interview Questions

• There was no particularly difficult question. I think the interviewers had already made up their mind before I arrived there as it was very comradely.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. The government has specific salaries for your level.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The hiring and interview process was incredibly long and tedious. They were very disorganized and there were many gaps between understanding the next steps in the process. You have to be very patient as it can be a very drawn out process and with people who often do not fully understand the next steps. Get ready for a good deal of frustration.

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

usually written exam, then interview, then reference check, then another interview to see if fit the position. Usually really long process.

Senior Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2013.

Interview

I received an email inviting me to an interview on phone. This was followed by a test and then a face to face interview. Everything went fine up to the face to face interview when none of the four panel members broke a smile or responded to my 'good morning" as I entered the room. While I began responding to the first interview question (my native language is English but with an accent), one of the panelists rolled her eyes. I was asked for references prior to the face-time interview and I found that it was a positive sign. Then, as I was ushered to the elevator after the 15 minute interview and I asked about sending some details about my third reference, the panelist looked confused and said that it was too soon and that a request for them should not have been made. Really unprofessional?!

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in June 2011.

Interview

Very very easy. Just walked in and talked about my resume. There were questions about my favorite IDE and what I had done in school. I think it was because I was a student at the time and they already had other people from my program working for them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None to speak of

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

Initial contact was 8 months after I applied! After the initial exam Interview was with a panel of 3. Questions ranged from 'Tell us what you know about us', to the traditional behavioral interview questions 'what would you do in the following situation', or 'tell us about a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee. What was your solution, and what was the outcome.'

Interview Questions

• They asked what improvements I would bring to the position, which was difficult to answer, given I had never worked in the department...   Answer Question

Negotiation

Initial offer was $15K below where I was currently earning. I needed to move, though, so I pushed back and told them that was unacceptable. They came back with an offer that was only $5k below where I was, and I accepted. Very reasonable folks all throughout the process.

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

You need to carefully read the job advertisement and ensure your cover letter includes how you meet all the criteria and then back that up on your cv. If you make the first cut, you will likely write a test where these criteria will be tested via scenarios that you have to describe how you would deal with them (demonstrating that you meet the criteria). Then at least one interview will follow and this is almost always a panel of 3 or more people. Again, you are asked questions that are meant to reveal if you meet the criteria. IT is a box ticking exercise. Sometimes, people get jobs who know how the interview process works and are not as qualified as others who do not get jobs but are not familiar with or good at the GOC interview process.

Interview Questions

• Your director hands you an urgent assignment on a day you had planned to conduct employee reviews and several other tasks of an urgent nature. How do you handle the requests and ensure all the work is done?   Answer Question

Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in December 2010.

Interview

I was given one hour to prep a presentation on a topic relevant to the department I was interviewing with. They provided the material to prep it from, which was mostly off their website, and I had studied the site before hand. I was marked on oral communication skills, presentation skills, my usage of and skill with MS Powerpoint and comfort speaking about the topic at hand.

Interview Questions

• I was given one hour to prep a 15 minute presentation on topic X.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiations for salary, as pay is already set and stated in the job posting,

Policy Analyst and Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2010.

Interview

student bridging program after several coop terms. i knew the department well already and had a sense of the work. two rounds of interviewing - first one was by the phone because of travel and the second was in the office.

Interview Questions

• standard interview questions - make sure you research the department well   Answer Question