Government of Canada Interview Questions in Ottawa, ON

3.3

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Canada.

I submitted through the government's official website. There was one face to face interview (for which I had to travel from home to Ottawa). I received a positive response quite quickly. However, it took several months before the official job offer came through. This was definitely the most annoying part of the whole process but is standard for all government jobs.

Interview Questions
    • There was no particularly difficult question. I think the interviewers had already made up their mind before I arrived there as it was very comradely.   Answer Question
    None. The government has specific salaries for your level.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Canada.

The hiring and interview process was incredibly long and tedious. They were very disorganized and there were many gaps between understanding the next steps in the process. You have to be very patient as it can be a very drawn out process and with people who often do not fully understand the next steps. Get ready for a good deal of frustration.

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Canada.

usually written exam, then interview, then reference check, then another interview to see if fit the position. Usually really long process.

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Government of Canada in June 2011.

Very very easy. Just walked in and talked about my resume. There were questions about my favorite IDE and what I had done in school. I think it was because I was a student at the time and they already had other people from my program working for them.

None to speak of

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Canada in January 2011.

Initial contact was 8 months after I applied! After the initial exam Interview was with a panel of 3. Questions ranged from 'Tell us what you know about us', to the traditional behavioral interview questions 'what would you do in the following situation', or 'tell us about a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee. What was your solution, and what was the outcome.'

Interview Questions
    • They asked what improvements I would bring to the position, which was difficult to answer, given I had never worked in the department...   Answer Question
    Initial offer was $15K below where I was currently earning. I needed to move, though, so I pushed back and told them that was unacceptable. They came back with an offer that was only $5k below where I was, and I accepted. Very reasonable folks all throughout the process.

Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Government of Canada in December 2010.

I was given one hour to prep a presentation on a topic relevant to the department I was interviewing with. They provided the material to prep it from, which was mostly off their website, and I had studied the site before hand. I was marked on oral communication skills, presentation skills, my usage of and skill with MS Powerpoint and comfort speaking about the topic at hand.

Interview Questions
    • I was given one hour to prep a 15 minute presentation on topic X.   View Answer
    no negotiations for salary, as pay is already set and stated in the job posting,

Policy Analyst and Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

interviewed at Government of Canada in September 2010.

student bridging program after several coop terms. i knew the department well already and had a sense of the work. two rounds of interviewing - first one was by the phone because of travel and the second was in the office.

Interview Questions
    • standard interview questions - make sure you research the department well   Answer Question

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Government of Canada in April 2010.

Three interviewers were in the panel. Most of the questions were behavioural. Only one technical.
    Interview started with simple questions like whether I am eligible to work in Canada, whether I would return to school after the summer job. And then there were situational questions:
    1) When was the last time you went beyond the call of duty?
    2) How did you deal with a stressful time?

Interview Questions
    • Have you given any presentations? How did you prepare for it?   Answer Question
    • Was there a situation when you suggested better ideas to your supervisor?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatineau, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatineau, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Canada in September 2009.

I applied online through jobs.gc.ca for the position. It took over 1.5 years before I received a request to write an exam. I was screened into the competition after the exam. Once the pool was formed nothing happened for a few months, though I eventually started to get calls from hiring managers, and did 3 interviews. The process seemed somewhat disorganized, and the managers were competing for their top hire picks out of the pool without knowing whether the candidate was receiving multiple job offers or not. I wound up taking one of the jobs that I was offered, but in hindsight, would have liked to try and determine the best fit, rather than just jumping on the most sure choice! ...the interview process took 32 months from the initial online application to the day I started the job. that was the downer in the process, but I'm very happy I stuck it out! (I can't say that below, it's blocked by the ap!)

Interview Questions
    • The only thing I remember was walking away thinking how utterly important it was to do my homework. Luckily I knew the subject matter inside and out, but that wasn't always the case for me when applying to other jobs I would have been qualified to do.   Answer Question
    For me it was a big promotion so I didn't have a lot of negotiation power. I knew I needed to prove myself when I landed, and kept that in mind.

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Canada in May 2009.

Panel interview against 15 people. Two of us were hired for 4 months to compete against each other. one of us was hired on a full time basis. There was a phone interview, followed by two months of wiating for a one on one interview. They also performed background checks which prevented me from working there for a month.

Interview Questions
    • What are your opinions on the duty to democracy and parliament under a minority government. I thought it was an odd question, and have no idea if I answered it right.   Answer Question
    I negotiated to get into an accelerated promotion program, but there was no room to negoiate starting salary.