Government of Ontario, Canada

www.gov.on.ca

Government of Ontario, Canada Interview Questions

3.3

Policy Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Government of Ontario, Canada in June 2010.

I got a got a referral from my previous Director. It was for a short term contract so the interview was not as formal as to be expected. It was one interview with a panel of two people, the Manager of the Unit and the Director of the Branch. The work culture is very business like but relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you used your initiative to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Risk Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Government of Ontario, Canada in March 2010.

The interview is pretty easy with standard questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most challenging situation in your past jobs?   View Answer

Manager Interview

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Government of Ontario, Canada in February 2010.

Online application, screened centrally, screened by direct supervisor, interview

Interview Questions
    • A consultant reviewing the Ministry, recommends that programs offered by your Department should be cut. What do you do, how do you proceed with this information, how do you mitigate any impacts?   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Government of Ontario, Canada in January 2010.

No professionalism on their part. I would respond to their interview questions and they wouldn't even listen. Generally would cut me off after I spoke for 2 mins and change the subject. No interest in what I was saying, wouldn't answer my questions seriously. Refused to take my reference form they told me to bring. Honestly, if they want good people they should treat people with respect. By about 3/4 of the way through the interview I was so offended I lost interest and definitely didn't want to work with the likes of the people "interviewing" me.

The questions they asked me had pre-written answers so if I wasn't saying what they had written on their paper I wasn't listened to.

I was told it was going to be a behavioral interview and instead I was asked technical questions throughout. I found that was very deceiving and rather childish to pull something like that.

Overall the worst interview I have ever had. I would NEVER work for the government of Ontario.

Interview Questions
    • Name three forecasting methodologies.   View Answer
    • What factors contribute to post-secondary enrollment demand?   View Answer

Procurement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Government of Ontario, Canada in December 2009.

I received a call for an invitation to an OPS interview and I was told I would receive the details in an email. The email outlined the following details prior to the interview:

1) A take-home technical assignment was to be completed.

2) A presentation was to be prepared for the interview panel based on results from 1). The assignment and presentation was to be submitted by email no later than 6 days after the interview invitation and cannot be substituted thereafter.

On the day of the interview (3 weeks later):

3) You are invited to come a half-an-hour before your interview time to review the 5 question the interview panel (3 managers) will ask you. You must bring a copy of the assignment and presentation on CD for the hiring manager to review.

4) The interview consists of the 10-minute presentation prepared in 2) (they will cut you off if you are over 10 mins), and a 50-minute question period. The panel will ask you specific, in-depth questions about your understanding and experience in relation to the position you are interviewing for. They will also ask 1 or 2 general questions (i.e. why are you a fit for this job; describe a time when...). (Also, they will cut you off if you go on for more than 50 mins). You will also have to submit 3 references and sign a sheet declaring that all work for the presentation and assignment was completed only by you.

5) You will then be escorted to a private room with a computer where you have 1-hour to complete a technical examination. The technical examination is VERY similar to the assignment you completed in step 1. If you did the assignment without help, this examination will be very easy and likely will not take you the whole hour.

During the interview itself, don't mind if the managers cannot give you eye-contact as you speak. They will be taking notes. In fact, if they are giving you eye-contact and they are NOT taking notes, you should be worried. They will ask follow-up questions as they feel fit after your presentation or as you answer their 5 questions.
    The panel will be very clear on a target start-date, the recruitment process, and when you can expect to hear from them.

After 1.5 weeks, they were checking my references. After 2.5 weeks, I was offered the job. The great part about these interviews is that they assess your abilities all in one long interview rather than making you come in for 2 or 3 interviews.

I advise you to be patient, take your time with the assignment and presentation. During the interview, be polite and social, make sure you say something that makes you stand out in some way.

Make sure you know ALL aspects of the job description, they will ask questions regarding EVERY detail of the job. Do your research, go to their website and find details about the function of the unit you are applying to.

Interview Questions
    • Define supply chain management and describe what it means to you.
      Relate Business Intelligence to supply chain management.

Answer Question
    • Describe the function of KPIs?
      How would you evaluate if you KPIs are effective?
      Describe a situation where you had to gather requirements.

Answer Question
    • Describe your experience in project management?
      What obstacles did you face? and how did you overcome them?
      What was the result of the endeavor?
      What did you learn?

• Why are you a good fit for this job?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Government of Ontario, Canada in September 2009.

One partner was completely disinterested in running the interview and mentioned (repeatedly and right off the bat) that she was hoping to make a flight that departed soon after the interview was scheduled to end.

Extremely unprofessional! She also seemed to be completely obsessed with her blackberry which she checked incessantly throughout the interview.

I would not want to work for a company that cannot take recruitment seriously.

Sales/Marketing Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Government of Ontario, Canada in September 2009.

Met with a great company. Learned about the product that I would be marketing and selling. The owner is a fantastic man who is driven. The office is culture seems very positive (sales driven and goal orientated). I had a phone interview, one meeting, take home reading and tasks and then secondary interview.

I have yet to decide if I will take this offer.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Government of Ontario, Canada in August 2009.

This interview consisted of a 3 person panel. None of them looked me in the eye more than once as they were busy writing down every single word that I said. The questions were situational and behavioural. For example, 'tell us about a situation where a deadline was tight, tell us how you handled the the problem and what steps you took'. main thing, dont be thrown off if they dont even look at you!

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your experience supporting a senior manager in an HR related role   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Government of Ontario, Canada in April 2009.

Contacted by Manager/Senior Manager to come in for a interview one week after initial call. Later found out that resume screening process can be done by anyone from staff group instructed on what to look for in the resume (based on a 5 criteria-5 point rating scale) to the manager him/herself. Manager usually makes the final decision on who gets interviewed and gives the call. Approx range of resumes received per public position posted: 200-500. Approx range of good ones: 50-100. Approx range who get interviewed:8-15ppl.
    Interviews in the government usually consist of 2 hours--first hour being grilled by 3- 5 panel interviewers approx 8 questions some general, some very specific related to the job and some situational related to the job. They will all record everything you have to say so if they are scribbling its a good thing if not you're not answering the question or not telling them what they want to hear. One question will definitely test your political tact and acuity and be related to handling a sensitive situation appropriately-don't blow it! If offered the position you can get called in to start work immediately or it may take several weeks depending on the program area being interviewed for.

Resume tips:
    1) use goverment language--don't use too much hardline business vernacular.
    2) Use CV style resume not i-banking 1 pager style-max 3 pages with lots of substance though especially details related to the gist of the the job. Being repetitive is ok--you want to convince the reviewer you have lots of the skills sets they are looking for excercised in multiple contexts even if that is not really the case.
    3) Take your time answering questions--you can always come back to one if you don't want to answer it immediately. I preety much couldn't answer one at all--blanked--but at the very end it came to me and it was a good answer.
    4) Be confident, through in some tactful jokes and treat the interviewers like you would treat a good colleague; be friendly

Interview Questions
    • This job requires being able to prioritize many tasks in a time sensitive environment. What do you do to stay organized and to make sure priority tasks get completed on time?   Answer Question
    • Draft a business case/ proposal for opening a new business in less than 1 hour.   Answer Question
    Generally you have no clout. They start you off at the bottom of the range. Unless you have a good case.
    Ex. you are taking a pay cut etc. But still only do that AFTER you have received the offer. Never before. If you are the best one for the job and they want you they will write up that business case for HR as to why you should get the upper end of the range.