Gracenote

Updated Oct 21, 2014

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gracenote.

Saw direct job posting, and applied online. Got a call from the recruiter a bit later. Did a phone screen with another senior dev and they moved right into the in-person. Multiple members on hiring "panel" weren't available that day and the usual litany of whiteboard questions followed with the ones who were there. Most having to do with large file data import problems. One was a question about how to structure the database for a television listing service.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to find all minima in an arbitrarily long series of integers.   View Answer

Research Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Gracenote.

Applied through mutual contact for unadvertised position. Had a video conference interview with hiring managers and a phone interview with HR. Was invited onsite for a series of 1-on-1 and 2-on-1 interviews for an entire day. Got an email a day or two later letting me know they'd go with another candidate.

IT PMO Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Gracenote in May 2014.

One telephone interview with the SVP of IT based in Chicago. Conversation lasted 1 hour. Questions were mostly aimed at emotional intelligence and established tolerance for rapid change and corporate ambiguity.

Interview Questions
    • Most concerned with attention to details regarding the key areas for integration after the acquisition by Tribune.   View Answer
    They threw money at me.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Gracenote in November 2011.

Full day of back to back interviews. No lunch. No breaks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Gracenote in October 2011.

3phone screens plus a day of in person interviews

Interview Questions
    • Boring sorting algorithm question. Used quicksort algorithm in answer.   Answer Question
    I had a number in mind and they accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Gracenote in May 2011.

Spoke with three people on the phone: HR/recruiter, then the VP of development, and last the Director of the software team, who would be the manager for this role. The VP was fairly technical and asked good questions about my previous experience programming in C# and .NET for Windows applications. I was told the Director would be a tough C# interview so I took extra time to study past C# projects, re-read certain books, etc. I expected to get peppered with all kinds of C#/.Net/Windows questions but instead got asked about how I would process a huge multi-GB XML file into a database. I didn't answer this at all to his satisfaction. Despite saying that the recruiter would get back to me, they never did.

Interview Questions
    • How would you process a 2 GB XML into a database schema? You can assume the database is empty at the start.   Answer Question

Digital Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Gracenote in June 2010.

phone interview consisting of availability, familiarity of technology, as well as demonstrating ability to research designated market- i.e. top album and dvd sales. Basically, for me, I put a lot of effort into researching the company and in my cover letter I did my best to show my background as matching their company- the intersection of music and technology. As such, most of the interview felt like my future manager was verifying what I claimed to be.

Interview Questions
    I was unable to negotiate. The compensation was set, and it was clear that there would be no increase in the rate. (Given the work that was fine because the manager did not demand a super fast throughput).

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Gracenote in March 2010.

a typical phone interview conducted, followed by a face-to-face interview following week or so (maybe 1.5weeks?) with 3 people, including 2 colleagues and one HR rep, all individually. all very nice and friendly, HR was very informative about benefits etc. unfortunately, didn't get the job but was very nice to actually call me (rather than nothing or template email) to let me know they've decided to move on with a different candidate.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Gracenote in September 2009.

Phone screen was standard in terms of discussing background and experience. Had a good rapport with the interviewer (director of engineering), and it seemed like what they wanted to do was a good fit for what I was looking for. The onsite interview consisted of several hour-long 1:1 or 2:1 interviews, mostly focusing on practical problem solving, logic puzzles, and Java programming skills.

Interview Questions
    • Several logic puzzles, all very similar to the so-called Einstein puzzle, but much easier.   View Answer
    • How would you design a system for importing messy data, cleaning and filtering, and merging with previously imported data, which may have duplicates?   Answer Question
    • Many of the typical Java language questions, such as thread safety and the various language trivia that many companies ask.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Gracenote in May 2011.

Consisted of 2 rounds of phone interview and one 1:1 discussion