Grammarly Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

Digital Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The manager said he would let me know about next steps after the phone interview. I never got a yes or no answer. Absolutely a big lie from the manager.

Email Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very thorough. I applied via LinkedIn and was contacted for initial screenings within 2 weeks. Once the actual interview process began, it took about 5-6 weeks total. While the process was tedious, I appreciated the company taking the time to ensure a good fit. During the interview process I met with my direct manager, CMO, Co-Founder, CEO, and two members of the team I was to join. Like I said in the beginning, VERY thorough.

Interview Questions

• On a scale of 1-10 where would your past employers rate your performance?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiating was moderate.

Director of Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I obtained an interview with Grammarly's CEO via a recruiter. I met with the CEO on a Tuesday to present my ideas for the company's communications plan, and received an offer to consult with the company for one month on that Friday. The interview, itself, was a great mix of brainstorming and information. It really helped me to learn more about the company and its culture.

Grammarly typically interviews 50 - 100 candidates for every open position to ensure that it continues to build a solid, innovative team. For that reason, most full-time offers are made only after a one-month consulting gig. As such, I consulted with Grammarly for one month and was then offered a full-time position.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to talk about what you know about Grammarly in the interview, as well as its position in the market. Bonus points if you present ideas about how you would address this in the position for which you are applying.   Answer Question

Email Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

First step - phone screen with recruiter
    Second step - phone screen with hiring manager
    Third step - 1:1 with hiring manager and sharing a project plan on what I would do next in this role
    Fourth step - Skype call with one of the 3 co-founders
    Fifth step - 1:1 with CEO and hiring manager
    Sixth step - Consecutive 1:1 with CEO, hiring manager, 2 other co-founders
    Seventh step - Reference checks (They do backdoor reference checks i.e. speaking to those who have not been authorized by the candidate)
    I had shared with them that in order to work, I would be requiring a visa transfer, which from Day 1 they had agreed to do so. However, after 6 rounds of interview and numerous calls, the decision to not hire was taken solely because they were not ready for visa transfer. While I understand that it is difficult for startups to afford visas, what was surprising was the lack of honesty from step 1.
    Secondly the whole reference check episode stretched longer than expected. With every reference that they reached out, I would get a follow-up call about how they were impolite in those reference calls. Please be careful when you are sharing your list of references with them as it is important to maintain good relations with your current network than lose them for a future career prospect that may or may not work out

Interview Questions

• What was the exact date you left your previous company? (While there were no difficult questions as such, this one was certainly the most unexpected one; with special emphasis on the word "exact")   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Grammarly in December 2014.

Interview

One of my friend is working in Grammarly and referred me so I have short process. I was asked about my previous experience in Java, Server side with high loads.

Interview Questions

• How you would profile Java Server side code and troubleshoot it on high loaded system?
      Please describe deployment process on Amazon Cloud.

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Grammarly in June 2014.

Interview

There were three rounds: HR, Sales Team Part 1 and Sales Team Part 2. There was also a skill test (a task for 30 mins). Overall experience was very positive. Interview was conducted in Ukrainian and in English. The decision of candidate's fit was made collectively and fair. Interviewers explained the nature of work and explained in detailed what tasks are to be done, which was very helpful.

Interview Questions

• - Your fears.
      - Your highest achievement in life.
      - Why you choose this kind of job?

Answer Question

Negotiation

You are actually welcome to sound your expectations and specific needs.