Grand Canyon University Enrollment Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014

2.6

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Grand Canyon University in August 2014.

The recruiter seemed confused as originally she was considering me for a different position. She asked me to email her with 3 dates and times I would be available for an interview. She didn't get back to me for a couple of days and then it was only to tell me that that position had been filled and would I be interested in the enrollment counselor position. I said yes, and once again she asked me for 3 dates and times I would be available for an interview. We scheduled a time for the following Monday.

Later that day, she said she would prefer to have me do an in-person interview rather than a phone screen and asked me again to set an interview time. I reminded her of the time we had already set and we decided to use that time. I showed up on Monday and she asked me questions that were basically a phone-screen interview rather than a formal interview. She mentioned that I would be hearing from them the next day to schedule an interview with the hiring manager.

She also mentioned salary very early in the conversation. She wanted to know my salary history and was concerned that I might not be happy with the salary they were offering, which was not negotiable.

I never did hear back to schedule the next interview, and follow up messages have not been returned.

Other Interview Reviews for Grand Canyon University

Enrollment Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Had one phone interview and then one panel interview. I was notified during the phone interview that I had been approved for an in-person panel interview. They scheduled it for the next day. I completed the interview the following day, and the morning after that I received a phone call with an offer. There was no drug test, but there was a background check.

Interview Questions
    • They asked for a lot of specific on the job situations and scenarios. It was easy. They like to see that you're able to multitask, work under pressure, complete quality and accurate work, and still be a positive representation of the university to students and leads.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Grand Canyon University in June 2011.

Submit application online, took 8 weeks to begin the screening process, received phone call to complete a screening interview, scheduled interview with manager and director, interview consisted on behavior based questions, received follow up phone call the next day with a job offer.

Orientation was 3 weeks long and included training on all systems, departments, and role playing.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to make a decision or recommendation that could've put your organization at risk.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

interviewed at Grand Canyon University in June 2013.

they use the new "style" of "tell me a time when you..." so be prepared to give specific examples of your past accomplishments and failures

Interview Questions
    • nothing too difficult- they just need to be VERY specific answers (names, where you were working, what happened, what was the outcome)   Answer Question
    there was no phase- they offered and I said yes because I was trying for 8 years to "get in" to this school because I thought they did what was right by the student

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at Grand Canyon University in October 2011.

Pre-screening with a Human Resources Recruiter, interview set up with hiring manager. Usually interviewed by hiring manager and a second manager.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you tried to satisfy a customer and it didn't work.   Answer Question
    There is no opportunity to negotiate if you are not coming in from another university.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Grand Canyon University in April 2012.

Initial phone interview then meet face to face with a panel of managers

Interview Questions
    • Was there ever a time when you felt overwhelmed by the expectations of enrolling a potential student?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Grand Canyon University in July 2013.

Easy interview process. Phone interview, followed by an in person interview. Was offered the job same day as the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a complaint from a student. How did you handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

2 phone interviews about 5 months after I applied. They then scheduled a face to face in a hotel room with 3! people. One middle aged man, one very young hip sales person type, and one very foreign Eastern European man who was very sick or something since he was snorting the entire interview.

Interview started normally, then the young sales hipster asked me if I like sports. Yes. What sport is your favorite? Football. Do you play fantasy football? Yes. Well, pretend like us 3 have never heard about fantasy football at all.....Sell us on it. SIGH. Yup, that was the first question. Once my answer was done, the very European West Coast manager asked me in VERY broken English "Why do they call it Football when you don't use foot?" That was, no kidding, the ONLY thing he said to me the entire interview.

They then asked how I would sell the "Christian" aspects of this school to non-Christians. How I would talk to family members. Do I believe more in being a servant or customer service. How I would get past the objections from high school administrators trying to stop me from being a solicitor on their campus.

This IS a sales position. Hipster stammered horribly when I asked him what the quota "number" was for students I needed to enroll. "Well, um, well, we, uh, take, uh information from the region and see what the team should be able to obtain then we, um, take that information and uh, well, come up with your goal. I also asked how often you have a start? Middle aged man stammered a bit on that too. "Our most important time is August. But we have a start here, there, all the time. And you have to be prepared to ride a bus with students into Phoenix and set them up in their dorms and hold their hands." Uh...ok.

I asked how many people they were hiring. 1! ONE! Three men, put up in a hotel, to hire one person, for a sales position with a SUPER HIGH turnover rate? Ok then.

Interview Questions
    • The fantasy football sales pitch was wacky and the servant or customer service was one of those trick, no right answer type questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

interviewed at Grand Canyon University in April 2012.

Received a phone call within 24 hours. Standard questions and very direct with examples needed.

Every enrollment counselor starts at $40K

Enrollment Counselor Interview

The hiring and interview process were fairly straightforward. The phone screening/interview was thorough, and left you with a good idea of whether you were a fit with the company. The two managers interviewing onsite were the typical contrasting pair, with one being "service" oriented and one being "sales" oriented. They gave a good picture of what the company was like.

Interview Questions
    • They ask about gaps in employment, and look for unique things in your work experience that may help or hurt your future there.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, the starting pay was pre-determined.

Worked for Grand Canyon University? Contribute to the Community!