Grand Canyon University Enrollment Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

I received an email to set up a time for a phone interview. After the phone interview, the next step was an in office interview. I first met with the talent specialist who set up the phone interview and she asked me several questions about why I wanted to work for them, etc. After that I was taken to a conference room and had another interview that was conducted by two managers. The managers had great personalities which helped to calm some of the nervousness most of us experience with an interview. They asked me about my work history on my resume. They also asked several S.T.A.R. Method questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Grand Canyon University

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2015.

Interview

The recruiter was very friendly. She took me to a room to meet the two military managers that were going to interview us but they were late. It was awkward and after a while the recruiter had to go find them.. twice.. before they came to meet us for our scheduled appointment. When we walked in they seemed quite friendly at first. One of the interviewers was very nice and more open but she kept looking to the other one for what to ask and how to react to my answers. The other one that was in there asked questions did not smile one time and she stared straight ahead at me, almost without blinking. She almost looked angry. It was clearly uncomfortable to myself and to the other manager in the room. At one point she asked me to review my resume and I went over the first job and looked up to see if she had questions or wanted me to continue. She smacked her copy of the resume and said "I said to go over your entire resume!". The way she said it was rude and it was as if she was talking to someone that was way beneath her. It was more of an interrogation interview from her. If she wasn't staring, she was writing, with very big writing. Not one time was there a level of comfort in the room and it was obvious that she intimidated the other manager in the room as well. It was one of the worst interviews I have had. She is a manager only interviewing, not an officer interrogating a criminal, yet that is what it felt like. There is no way she is going to really know a potential employee if interviewees are facing interviewers such as that. When GCU is doing interviews, they need to find someone that is better suited to doing that and actually getting a potential employee to really share what they have to offer instead of trying to "show them who's boss". Thank you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

Two interviews. Used the STAR interview technique on the phone and then had an in person interview with three other people. Lasted about an hour and got the job the next day. Easy and peaceful process

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Interview

Interviewers were unprepared. Didn't know how to interview me and took 5 mins during the beginning of the interview to go over the process. Although I was told there was multiple positions that were available, what they do not tell you is that you are ONLY interviewing for one slot per the supervisors that were assigned to interview you. So if they do not like you for their slot, you are not hired.

Interview Questions

• What was the most complex situation you have had to deal with in your last position.   Answer Question

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Interview

During the interview, two interviewers asked performance based questions using a method titled as STAR. These questions namely focused on your past experiences. During this time, the two gentlemen write down your answers on paper looking for key words. Overall, the interviewers are not interviewing but rather reporting. There is no personal dialogue.

Interview Questions

• The STAR method, in general, is lackluster and not focused toward actually discovering the true talents of the potential employee.   Answer Question

Interview felt like they were looking for a warm body, not a person.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

Had one phone interview and then one panel interview. I was notified during the phone interview that I had been approved for an in-person panel interview. They scheduled it for the next day. I completed the interview the following day, and the morning after that I received a phone call with an offer. There was no drug test, but there was a background check.

Interview Questions

• They asked for a lot of specific on the job situations and scenarios. It was easy. They like to see that you're able to multitask, work under pressure, complete quality and accurate work, and still be a positive representation of the university to students and leads.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in August 2014.

Interview

The recruiter seemed confused as originally she was considering me for a different position. She asked me to email her with 3 dates and times I would be available for an interview. She didn't get back to me for a couple of days and then it was only to tell me that that position had been filled and would I be interested in the enrollment counselor position. I said yes, and once again she asked me for 3 dates and times I would be available for an interview. We scheduled a time for the following Monday. Later that day, she said she would prefer to have me do an in-person interview rather than a phone screen and asked me again to set an interview time. I reminded her of the time we had already set and we decided to use that time. I showed up on Monday and she asked me questions that were basically a phone-screen interview rather than a formal interview. She mentioned that I would be hearing from them the next day to schedule an interview with the hiring manager. She also mentioned salary very early in the conversation. She wanted to know my salary history and was concerned that I might not be happy with the salary they were offering, which was not negotiable. I never did hear back to schedule the next interview, and follow up messages have not been returned.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions whatsoever.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in December 2013.

Interview

Brief phone interview with hiring manager to ensure proper fit. Afterwards, a formal in-person interview is scheduled. Interview consisted of two dept managers and hr manager. Start off one by one shooting off questions in a rehearsed manner. They all seemed very interested in prior similar experience and education. Next, comes the common interview questions. Finally, candidate is grilled on how many sales goals they have previously accomplished. GCU's call volume "quota" one needs to reach an hour (min. of 40 outbound calls) is thoroughly explained. I felt strongly about this company at first since they are a very reputable and respected Christian institution. Also, the starting pay can't be beat ($40K), especially for someone w/o a degree. The last 15 minutes of interview discouraged me a great deal! I rather not be employed as a parrot reciting a script in a stressful,high paced and sales based call center disguised as an university.

Interview Questions

• Will you be willing to spend your entire shift on the phone? What were some of your sale goals and numbers reached from your previous employer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Grand Canyon University (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

2 phone interviews about 5 months after I applied. They then scheduled a face to face in a hotel room with 3! people. One middle aged man, one very young hip sales person type, and one very foreign Eastern European man who was very sick or something since he was snorting the entire interview. Interview started normally, then the young sales hipster asked me if I like sports. Yes. What sport is your favorite? Football. Do you play fantasy football? Yes. Well, pretend like us 3 have never heard about fantasy football at all.....Sell us on it. SIGH. Yup, that was the first question. Once my answer was done, the very European West Coast manager asked me in VERY broken English "Why do they call it Football when you don't use foot?" That was, no kidding, the ONLY thing he said to me the entire interview. They then asked how I would sell the "Christian" aspects of this school to non-Christians. How I would talk to family members. Do I believe more in being a servant or customer service. How I would get past the objections from high school administrators trying to stop me from being a solicitor on their campus. This IS a sales position. Hipster stammered horribly when I asked him what the quota "number" was for students I needed to enroll. "Well, um, well, we, uh, take, uh information from the region and see what the team should be able to obtain then we, um, take that information and uh, well, come up with your goal. I also asked how often you have a start? Middle aged man stammered a bit on that too. "Our most important time is August. But we have a start here, there, all the time. And you have to be prepared to ride a bus with students into Phoenix and set them up in their dorms and hold their hands." Uh...ok. I asked how many people they were hiring. 1! ONE! Three men, put up in a hotel, to hire one person, for a sales position with a SUPER HIGH turnover rate? Ok then.

Interview Questions

• The fantasy football sales pitch was wacky and the servant or customer service was one of those trick, no right answer type questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in August 2013.

Interview

Easy interview. Enjoyed the process. Really casual and laid back lots of scenario based questions. Hard to find the entrance of the building. Great atmosphere. Interviewed by two managers, and they had pre prepared questions ready to ask.Easy interview. Enjoyed the process. Really casual and laid back lots of scenario based questions. Hard to find the entrance of the building. Great atmosphere. Interviewed by two managers, and they had pre prepared questions ready to ask.