Grand Canyon University

Updated Sep 1, 2014

2.5

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Grand Canyon University in August 2014.

The recruiter seemed confused as originally she was considering me for a different position. She asked me to email her with 3 dates and times I would be available for an interview. She didn't get back to me for a couple of days and then it was only to tell me that that position had been filled and would I be interested in the enrollment counselor position. I said yes, and once again she asked me for 3 dates and times I would be available for an interview. We scheduled a time for the following Monday.

Later that day, she said she would prefer to have me do an in-person interview rather than a phone screen and asked me again to set an interview time. I reminded her of the time we had already set and we decided to use that time. I showed up on Monday and she asked me questions that were basically a phone-screen interview rather than a formal interview. She mentioned that I would be hearing from them the next day to schedule an interview with the hiring manager.

She also mentioned salary very early in the conversation. She wanted to know my salary history and was concerned that I might not be happy with the salary they were offering, which was not negotiable.

I never did hear back to schedule the next interview, and follow up messages have not been returned.

Student Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Grand Canyon University.

After submitting my application, I was contacted approximately 30 days later. After a phone interview, I was rushed into an interview that went well. After the interview, the interviewing hiring manager contacted my internal referral and asked about me and I was told they had a nice conversation. I've been in many interviews and so I know good ones and bad ones and this was a good one. Sent follow-up thank you notes as well. Was told I would hear back within a week, but I never heard back. After two weeks I contacted the HR coordinator I had been working with by phone and email. After multiple attempts to make contact I never heard back and never received a rejection notice. My voice mails and emails were flat out ignored. I had also contacted the hiring manager to follow-up after about a month and I never received any communication back from her either. While I have a feeling I slipped between the cracks, I've never been through an interview process where I never heard back. I've never had ignored communication either. It was extremely disappointing because I have lots of experience and was excited about working for them. It was extremely unprofessional and frustrating because they told me I needed to interview within two days of contacting me, which forced me to change travel plans. Hindsight being what it is, I don't understand the rush. I can't help but hold GCU in much lower regards because they did not show any respect for me or my time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Grand Canyon University in July 2013.

Easy interview process. Phone interview, followed by an in person interview. Was offered the job same day as the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a complaint from a student. How did you handle it.   Answer Question

Full Time Online Faculty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Grand Canyon University in November 2012.

I applied several months before hearing from them. A recruiter called on a Monday and said with my permission my app would be passed on to a hiring manager. The hiring manager then called me within 2 hours. There was one interview with this same person. He was very casual. It was pleasant. They called me within 2 days for a tentative offer. The salary offer was significantly MORE than I requested. I accepted.

Interview Questions
    Friendly. Awesome. The background process takes a long time though. Still waiting...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

interviewed at Grand Canyon University in April 2012.

Received a phone call within 24 hours. Standard questions and very direct with examples needed.

Every enrollment counselor starts at $40K

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Grand Canyon University in April 2012.

The process started with a phone interview which was actually pretty lightweight. I was then called into the live interview and asked about my background and given a couple of behavioral interview questions. The interviewers liked the fact that I had closed them on the opportunity and asked them for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to resolve a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    They did not want to negotiate salary or anything else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Grand Canyon University in February 2012.

The interviewers us a "form" and tag team you. The ones I had are both gone. The new managers will spend very little time helping you. Expect to learn most of the job on your own. If they tell you this is a sales job, THEY ARE LYING

Interview Questions

For a Christian University, there was no sign of any religious artifacts, anywhere. They are not people who live up to their principles. They are merely marketing arms

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Grand Canyon University in October 2011.

Pre-screening with a Human Resources Recruiter, interview set up with hiring manager. Usually interviewed by hiring manager and a second manager.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you tried to satisfy a customer and it didn't work.   Answer Question
    There is no opportunity to negotiate if you are not coming in from another university.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Grand Canyon University in June 2011.

Submit application online, took 8 weeks to begin the screening process, received phone call to complete a screening interview, scheduled interview with manager and director, interview consisted on behavior based questions, received follow up phone call the next day with a job offer.

Orientation was 3 weeks long and included training on all systems, departments, and role playing.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to make a decision or recommendation that could've put your organization at risk.   Answer Question

Academic Counselor/Enrollment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Grand Canyon University in February 2011.

I applied for two different positions online. I first had a phone interview for the EC position and was asked to come in for a 1:1 in-person interview. It was the standard interview questions like strengths/weaknesses and describing situations in previous positions that would help at this job. I didn't hear back from them and tried emailing a couple times but didn't get a response. Then, I got another call asking to set up another phone interview for the other position I interviewed for. After completing almost the same interview in person for the other position I received two emails saying that I didn't get either position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you experienced a loss and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question