Grant Thornton Audit Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (McLean, VA) in August 2015.

Interview

Met surge 2 partners, 1 senior manager and went out to lunch with two lower level employees. Everyone was very nice and answered questions honestly. It seems like they have a very good culture- better than big 4 at least. The lunch was very good as well. Not sure if they chose this restaurant especially for me but it was the nicest place in the immediate area.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Grant Thornton

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

I applied through an employee at the office I was interested in. I was contacted by the recruiter about a week later. Had a brief talk with her and received an email shortly after about setting up a phone interview with a manager. After that the recruiter called again and we were able to set up an office visit. At the visit I met with two managers and a partner. Received a call a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions from recruiter and manager were focused on location and background of the past few years. Office visit questions were very focused on how I would fit in and a large percent of the time was me asking questions.   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

Met GT at a job fair, everyone at the booth was extremely friendly and approachable. I handed my resume to them, and within the week I received an email inviting me to 1st round of interviews. I gladly accepted and met with a manager for an interview. Waited for about another week and received an invite to 2nd round of interview. This one lasted 4 hours, but it was a great experience! They really eased you into anything and I was never uncomfortable!

Interview Questions

• They really just want to get to know you, so just be yourself. There weren't any questions I did not expect, they were just looking to have a conversation with you!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Miami, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was through the university and took about 5 to 6 weeks. There was an accounting fair where a whole range of accounting firms were present from Big 4 to small, local firms. I met with a managing director and a partner of the firm. They were very nice and I enjoyed their company. There were also several events where we met with other professionals of the firm. I had my first round of interviews at the university for about 30 minutes. I met with a manager. He was very professional and we spoke about a variety of topics about myself, my resume, both of our experiences. The second round interviews were at the office. We had a pre-interview social. I met with other professionals of the firm, as well. The next day were office interviews and lunch. I had two office interviews, both 30 minutes. I interviewed with a partner and director of the firm. Both of them went very well. It was certainly more relaxed and talking more about myself, my resume, and experiences. After the interviews, we went out to lunch with two professionals of the firm. It was a great experience and learned more about the firm through their experiences. They said that offers would be sent out the following week. However, I received notice of my offer two days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions. Nothing that is out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

Like most public accounting firms, interviews began on my college campus. Once I made it past that stage, there were four 30 minute interviews at the office I had applied for. They also had an optional (highly suggest you intend, though) "pre-night" event at a local restaurant. This gave you an opportunity to get to know more of the staff, so you can get the feel if the company is the right fit for you outside of the office.

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

Interview

Did on-campus recruiting. I knew some alum that went to my school prior to interviewing and started getting to know the recruiter maybe a year before applying. I was invited to a first round interview at school, pre-event socials, and finally a second round interview at the office which consisted of 3 interviews and lunch with some professionals. On offer day, I got a phone call at 8am from a partner to let me know that I will be receiving an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied through the online recruiting portal after speaking with employees at a University Career Fair. Was called after 3 weeks and offered a phone interview, which took place the next day. At the end of the phone interview I was offered a final interview the next week. The final round interview was set up just for me (no other interviewees) round robin style with a Director, a Senior Manager, and a Partner. After promptly sending "Thank You"emails that day, I received my offer less than 24 hours after leaving the office. My experience with this firm's recruiting is only positive. Everybody acts like a professional, but more creative and flexible and far less political than when I interviewed with the Big 4.

Interview Questions

• Question series posed by Firm Partner: (A)Why did you choose Accounting? (B)Why public Accounting vs private accounting? (C)What do you expect from Grant Thornton as an employer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had calculated a minimum negotiation number I needed for reasonable living expenses, but the firm beat my number by $2,000 annually with great benefits including free Becker and CPA pass bonuses. For an A1 my salary is very competitive so I just signed on the dotted line with no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

I applied through my university's career services site. There was a 30 minute interview with a partner on campus. Very laid back, asked mostly about my Resume and why Grant Thornton. I heard back within a week and had 2nd round interviews in the office. There were 3 interviews, with a staff employee, manager and partner. Everyone was really nice. I heard back the next day. Just be yourself and ASK GOOD QUESTIONS!

Interview Questions

• 1. If you were the lead on a GT task force to increase business, how would you go about this and how would you deal with the increasing competition? 2. Name a time when you worked in a team and you have some difficulties and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very competitive salary and nice benefits.

Audit/Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2013.

Interview

On campus interviews, then a day of in office interviews. After submitting a resume, was contacted for a half hour on campus interview and then was invited to the office for a day, which involved three more interviews with managers and partners in the audit practice. A very well organized process, with a chance to meet other interviewees and presentations about the firm and culture.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I applied through my on campus career office and was sent an email saying I was granted a first round interview. Interview was pretty basic, mostly behavioral questions. I received a second round interview which is actually tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Interview Questions

• This is all about you so you will be doing most of the talking. Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer