Grant Thornton Audit Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (McLean, VA) in August 2015.

Interview

Met surge 2 partners, 1 senior manager and went out to lunch with two lower level employees. Everyone was very nice and answered questions honestly. It seems like they have a very good culture- better than big 4 at least. The lunch was very good as well. Not sure if they chose this restaurant especially for me but it was the nicest place in the immediate area.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Grant Thornton

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Boston, MA) in August 2011.

Interview

Basic questions any college career services should be able to help you prepare for this. You can also go to the library and take out a book or do a Google search or common interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be an auditor?   1 Answer

Audit/Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2013.

Interview

On campus interviews, then a day of in office interviews. After submitting a resume, was contacted for a half hour on campus interview and then was invited to the office for a day, which involved three more interviews with managers and partners in the audit practice. A very well organized process, with a chance to meet other interviewees and presentations about the firm and culture.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

Like most public accounting firms, interviews began on my college campus. Once I made it past that stage, there were four 30 minute interviews at the office I had applied for. They also had an optional (highly suggest you intend, though) "pre-night" event at a local restaurant. This gave you an opportunity to get to know more of the staff, so you can get the feel if the company is the right fit for you outside of the office.

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2014.

Interview

Did on-campus recruiting. I knew some alum that went to my school prior to interviewing and started getting to know the recruiter maybe a year before applying. I was invited to a first round interview at school, pre-event socials, and finally a second round interview at the office which consisted of 3 interviews and lunch with some professionals. On offer day, I got a phone call at 8am from a partner to let me know that I will be receiving an offer.

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (McLean, VA) in September 2012.

Interview

All Behavioral. You don't need to worry about your technical skills as they assume you have none and will learn on the job. They want to make sure you're an individual who is not only capable of learning but can be presented in front of a client. As long as you are presentable, sociable, and competent, I wouldn't worry much about the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. (basically your 30 sec elevator pitch but include some material that isn't on your resume)   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Irvine, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

There were two rounds of interviews, first an on campus interview with a manager/senior manager. The interview was your standard interview with no real curve balls. Typical questions such as tell me about yourself, why public accounting, why audit, why Grant Thornton. There were one or two behavioral questions. Second round of interview consisted of going to the GT office and there were three back to back interviews and then we went to lunch as a whole group with some of the A1's and A2's that already worked there. The interviews were about 20-30 minutes each and consisted of the same kind of questions as the first round just less behavioral questions I think I only had one or two between all of the interviews. My interviewers were a director, a manager, and a senior manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked on a team and your opinion differed from others on the team and how you handled the situation?   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

I applied through an employee at the office I was interested in. I was contacted by the recruiter about a week later. Had a brief talk with her and received an email shortly after about setting up a phone interview with a manager. After that the recruiter called again and we were able to set up an office visit. At the visit I met with two managers and a partner. Received a call a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions from recruiter and manager were focused on location and background of the past few years. Office visit questions were very focused on how I would fit in and a large percent of the time was me asking questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton (Miami, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was through the university and took about 5 to 6 weeks. There was an accounting fair where a whole range of accounting firms were present from Big 4 to small, local firms. I met with a managing director and a partner of the firm. They were very nice and I enjoyed their company. There were also several events where we met with other professionals of the firm. I had my first round of interviews at the university for about 30 minutes. I met with a manager. He was very professional and we spoke about a variety of topics about myself, my resume, both of our experiences. The second round interviews were at the office. We had a pre-interview social. I met with other professionals of the firm, as well. The next day were office interviews and lunch. I had two office interviews, both 30 minutes. I interviewed with a partner and director of the firm. Both of them went very well. It was certainly more relaxed and talking more about myself, my resume, and experiences. After the interviews, we went out to lunch with two professionals of the firm. It was a great experience and learned more about the firm through their experiences. They said that offers would be sent out the following week. However, I received notice of my offer two days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions. Nothing that is out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Thornton.

Interview

First step is resume and application submission for first round on campus interviews. This process took less than a week. I interviewed with a manager and he asked me to walk me through my resume, then asked me 3 behavioral questions. After the on campus interview, I waited a week to be invited to second round office interviews. Definitely not a "small," "family oriented" or "entrepreneurial" culture. Grant Thornton was as close to Big Four as you can get without being at a Big Four. Don't get me wrong everyone was fine, but expect to be treated like one of many candidates. Also, everyone I interviewed with was more serious than friendly. Second round interviews are 3 interviews. Expect basic interview questions and behavioral questions. My second and third interviewers were easier, but the first interviewer from the moment I walked into his office did not seem approachable and friendly. Final decisions took more than 2 weeks, which was inconvenient for me so I decided to accept another offer.

Interview Questions

• How do your experiences align with GT's values? How will you deal with creative accounting methods? How will you deal with the convergence of IFRS and GAAP standards? Tell me about something that you've been interested in lately?   Answer Question