Grant Thornton

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Advisory Services Intern Interview

Business Advisory Services Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Grant Thornton in October 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume via my school and was invited to first round on campus with a pre-interview dinner social and the interview the next day. The representatives there were friendly and helpful with answering questions. The next day at the interview, I had one of the last time slots of the day and my interviewer was a bit curt and unresponsive to my answers. The questions were mainly behavioral and tailored towards my resume. She seemed impatient to finish the interview and basically went down each item in my resume and asked me about them.

After the first round of interviews, I got an email from the recruiter explaining that next steps would probably be a decision by the coming Friday or next Monday. On Friday, I received an email inviting me for second round interviews at San Francisco. They were very organized and punctual with the response, and they booked a hotel for me there.
As with the first round, there was another social before the interview and it was very informative. The staff there were mostly senior managers and some associates, however, their partner did show up, which I thought was very rare. He took the time to come to each table and introduce himself as well as talk to each of the candidates. Overall, the dinner was very helpful and reflected more of the culture of the firm, a sort of tight knit group that was very personable.
The next day, we got an office tour and an itinerary of the schedule of the day. There were supposed to be three rounds of interviews, but it only became two because one of the senior managers were sick. One was with the partner, which we met the day before, and the other with a senior manager.
Questions were highly behavioral and about team settings, as well as an evaluation of how well we fit into Grant Thornton's culture. I felt extremely at ease with both the interviewers and they were very patient. At the end, they explained that there would be a two week waiting period for the response. The partner ended up giving me a call about the good news (which was pretty cool), in which they followed up with an offer letter half a week after.

All in all, what I got from it was that they are basically looking for a candidate who can represent Grant Thornton well as well as talk to clients on a personal basis. Also, on a random note, I asked about traveling as an intern and the partner seemed very peeved about it. He said they wanted their interns to experience the firm and traveling would do little good to expand your knowledge in it.

Interview Question – How does working at Grant Thornton align with your current and future goals?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – There was nothing wrong with Grant Thornton, I just had a first choice with another firm.

Worked for Grant Thornton? Contribute to the Community!